+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apathy

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Apathy

Apathy for Tech football has never been this bad. Why is it so bad and what would you do to fix it?

Schedule/Tailgating:

The home schedule is terrible and is destroying tailgating. We have exactly ZERO good home games this year.

Grambling (2:30 p.m. bonus) - Boring FCS team. I would literally be more interested in playing Ruston High. If that isn't enough, a 2:30 kickoff ensures crappy tailgating and peak temperatures for the crowd. One of two non-conference home games that we could use to bring in an interesting opponent and we go with Grambling?! That is just lazy.

FIU - Don't care. Nobody cares.

UMass - See above. The other non-conference game that is squandered.

USM (2:30 p.m. bonus) - Finally a good home game opponent...with a frigin 2:30 kickoff! Best tailgating opportunity with Fall weather and we cut it short. It is like we are trying to kill off the remaining fan base.

North Texas (3:00 p.m. bonus) - Meh. Another early kickoff.

UTSA (2:30 p.m. bonus) - Meh. Another early kickoff.

That is just a horrible schedule. Sunbelt is looking better and better.

Coaching:

I like Skip, but it is time for a change. The consistent boring is really consistently boring. Crowton had a really fun offense, Bicknell was so bad it was at least somewhat entertaining, Dooley was spicy, and Dykes had another fun offense with the last memorable wins/losses we have had. Manny Diaz is the only thing that REALLY peaked my interest these last few years. Skip's teams are safe, run up the middle on first, decent winning season, low-tier bowls that nobody cares about. I miss epically failing to make the Orange Bowl.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Re: Apathy

It is sad. I went to a Baylor game last night. The game was rather boring, but they constantly have stuff going on for the fans. Some of our TECH games are so quiet you can hear crickets. As much as I love TECH, it is difficult to get excited about the games. I struggled with whether or not to buy my season tickets we have had for 15 years this year. We did buy them, but don’t really care if I use them or not.

Skip seems like a great guy, but knowing we will not even try to compete against good teams makes it hard to care anymore.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post

Sunbelt is looking better and better.
    Keep in mind the Sun Belt has worse problems than CUSA. And some of CUSA's issues can be fixed. The agreement with the NFL Network that pays little money and moved some Saturday night kickoffs to 2:30 was a mistake, to say the least.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

It is always fun when we have a coach who will give every team his best shot, and his players reflect that attitude (e.g. Peace, Crowton, Dykes). Opposing teams know that we are a threat to beat them, regardless of who they are, and fans flock to that.

But, when we have a coach who doesn't believe we should win those games and, just hopes nobody gets hurt (e.g. Bicknell, Holtz), we are not a threat to anybody and fans become apathetic.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, I do not think you can fix just football. Our entire athletic department save for soccer and softball have severely underachieved in the last decade or longer. Our game promotion, ticket promos, in game giveaways, sponsorships, tailgating, fundraising, and customer relations all could be done better by the local jr high 4-H club. We don’t have the right leadership to improve these things. If we want to be an academic only institution with minor sports and club sports, then our leadership is sufficient. If we want more, we must demand better personnel and better effort.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Agreed. Everything from our radio affiliates to our online merchandising is bad.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Oh but if you pretend things are ok, then you can whine about the fans that actually see Tech as more than a community college.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    After we got blown out, whoever was updating the Tech Athletics Facebook page, did not even post the final score; I assume because they did not want to see the sure to come comments. They did update the girl's volleyball results around 10:30pm though.

My Tech expectations come from the F. Jay Taylor / 1980s days. We did not even have tailgating then and there was a LOT more energy and excitement surrounding our athletics then.

Our football players and it's fans deserve much better than what we are getting from TMac/Holtz. How long can these guys hide from the feedback from the fans?
    I think they did post the final score on Twitter.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Keep in mind the Sun Belt has worse problems than CUSA. And some of CUSA's issues can be fixed. The agreement with the NFL Network that pays little money and moved some Saturday night kickoffs to 2:30 was a mistake, to say the least.
    I'd be interested in knowing what problems are worse for the Sun Belt?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave1 View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing what problems are worse for the Sun Belt?
    Well if you don't know, how are we to? You're asking yourself if you'd be interested in knowing. Dunno…

(hint: that should be a statement)

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I hate CUSA. It has done absolutely nothing for us. The only team I even remotely care about playing has become a shell of their former self, and they still own us in every major sport. Really good time to be a Tech fan.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well if you don't know, how are we to? You're asking yourself if you'd be interested in knowing. Dunno…

(hint: that should be a statement)
    Apparently “The Historian” knows something no one else knows, based on his post.

Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Apathy for Tech football has never been this bad. Why is it so bad and what would you do to fix it?

Schedule/Tailgating:

The home schedule is terrible and is destroying tailgating. We have exactly ZERO good home games this year.

Grambling (2:30 p.m. bonus) - Boring FCS team. I would literally be more interested in playing Ruston High. If that isn't enough, a 2:30 kickoff ensures crappy tailgating and peak temperatures for the crowd. One of two non-conference home games that we could use to bring in an interesting opponent and we go with Grambling?! That is just lazy.

FIU - Don't care. Nobody cares.

UMass - See above. The other non-conference game that is squandered.

USM (2:30 p.m. bonus) - Finally a good home game opponent...with a frigin 2:30 kickoff! Best tailgating opportunity with Fall weather and we cut it short. It is like we are trying to kill off the remaining fan base.

North Texas (3:00 p.m. bonus) - Meh. Another early kickoff.

UTSA (2:30 p.m. bonus) - Meh. Another early kickoff.

That is just a horrible schedule. Sunbelt is looking better and better.

Coaching:

I like Skip, but it is time for a change. The consistent boring is really consistently boring. Crowton had a really fun offense, Bicknell was so bad it was at least somewhat entertaining, Dooley was spicy, and Dykes had another fun offense with the last memorable wins/losses we have had. Manny Diaz is the only thing that REALLY peaked my interest these last few years. Skip's teams are safe, run up the middle on first, decent winning season, low-tier bowls that nobody cares about. I miss epically failing to make the Orange Bowl.
    It really has me puzzled. For years and years we strived for things like the jumbotron, get into a "better" conference, build a state of the art end zone facility, add new pressbox, suites, field winning teams, etc. All of these objectives have been met yet we are LOSING fans rather than gaining as we would expect. Maybe the root problem is the expansion of our tv coverage. Ruston is small, not enough population to support any kind of program thus our fan base is elsewhere and must always drive in some distance to the games. With the games on the tube it appears everyone is just avoiding the drive and watching from their recliners. Houston, we have a problem.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    It really has me puzzled. For years and years we strived for things like the jumbotron, get into a "better" conference, build a state of the art end zone facility, add new pressbox, suites, field winning teams, etc. All of these objectives have been met yet we are LOSING fans rather than gaining as we would expect. Maybe the root problem is the expansion of our tv coverage. Ruston is small, not enough population to support any kind of program thus our fan base is elsewhere and must always drive in some distance to the games. With the games on the tube it appears everyone is just avoiding the drive and watching from their recliners. Houston, we have a problem.
    Video access (not TV) is part of the problem. Our leadership has changed things that didn't need to be changed. That's the bigger problem.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Overall attendance at sporting events is down. That is true for college football too. But, on top of that trend, we have "on the field product" issues. Defense wins championships, offense sells tickets. It's part and parcel of the instant gratification syndrome of today's fickle fanbase: "entertain me now, dern you!"

+ Reply to Thread