+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech's past trips to MAC stadiums

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Tech's past trips to MAC stadiums

I don't think it's been discussed here or elsewhere this week, but Tech's had several memorable trips to MAC stadiums in the I-A/FBS era. In fact, I don't think there's been a boring trip since Tech made the move up.

The 1995 trip to Bowling Green was Tech's first with Gary Crowton on the staff as OC and was the 1995 season opener. After the game Bowling Green's coach threw a tantrum in the post-game press conference about Tech changing its offense from 1994 and surprising he and his staff, as if were up to Tech to give him practice film on what we would be running. The Bulldogs won 28-21.

The 1991 game with Eastern Michigan was on the most memorable road trips in Tech history. The team traveled to EMU on Saturday morning for a Saturday night game after its Friday morning charter flight using a Continental Airlines 727 took off and landed back in Monroe just minutes after take off because of an engine problem. Chris Boniol kicked a 54-yard field goal on the final play of the game to give Tech a victory. The team returned after the game, making for a long Saturday.

Tech also had memorable trips to Western Michigan in 1989 and 1990. The Bulldogs lost both games - 24-20 in 1989 and 27-21 in 1990. If I remember correctly it was the 1990 game that ended in controversy. Tech scored on the guard around/fumblerooski play, which was legal under NCAA rules at the time. The head referee from the MAC crew flagged the play and told Coach Peace that in his opinion the play was "unethical" and should be a 15-yard penalty. The Tech coaching staff threw a fit on the sideline. And Steve Ensminger - Tech's OC at the time - broke something in the booth.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech's past trips to MAC stadiums

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The head referee from the MAC crew flagged the play and told Coach Peace that in his opinion the play was "unethical" and should be a 15-yard penalty.
    He'd be a CUSA hero.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

I don't think it's been discussed here or elsewhere this week, but Tech's had several memorable trips to MAC stadiums in the I-A/FBS era. In fact, I don't think there's been a boring trip since Tech made the move up.

The 1995 trip to Bowling Green was Tech's first with Gary Crowton on the staff as OC and was the 1995 season opener. After the game Bowling Green's coach threw a tantrum in the post-game press conference about Tech changing its offense from 1994 and surprising he and his staff, as if were up to Tech to give him practice film on what we would be running. The Bulldogs won 28-21.

The 1991 game with Eastern Michigan was on the most memorable road trips in Tech history. The team traveled to EMU on Saturday morning for a Saturday night game after its Friday morning charter flight using a Continental Airlines 727 took off and landed back in Monroe just minutes after take off because of an engine problem. Chris Boniol kicked a 54-yard field goal on the final play of the game to give Tech a victory. The team returned after the game, making for a long Saturday.

Tech also had memorable trips to Western Michigan in 1989 and 1990. The Bulldogs lost both games - 24-20 in 1989 and 27-21 in 1990. If I remember correctly it was the 1990 game that ended in controversy. Tech scored on the guard around/fumblerooski play, which was legal under NCAA rules at the time. The head referee from the MAC crew flagged the play and told Coach Peace that in his opinion the play was "unethical" and should be a 15-yard penalty. The Tech coaching staff threw a fit on the sideline. And Steve Ensminger - Tech's OC at the time - broke something in the booth.
    Wow great memories and interesting stories!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

This game was my first exposure to Tech football. I was a brand new student, going through Rush. Several of the LambChops -- who had only recently "gone dry" -- were trying to follow the game on the radio and didn't hide their annoyance that the Greeks had scheduled rush stuff on a gameday. I was impressed that even away games were important events for (at least some) Tech students.

The Greek thing didn't work out for me. But because of that experience, I made a point to attend the next home game (Ark St, as I remember). And I've been a Tech football fan ever since.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

We won at Toledo, 34-17, I believe was the score. Timmy Rattay was QB.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    We won at Toledo, 34-17, I believe was the score. Timmy Rattay was QB.
    You are correct. LA Tech destroyed Toledo 61-20 in 1996 in Ruston, and also won at Toledo 34-17, in 1999.

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/tole...louisiana-tech

+ Reply to Thread