+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hall of Fame: Joe Raymond Peace - latechsports.com

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Hall of Fame: Joe Raymond Peace - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Not me! I was happy to watch from the relative safety of the stands...south 40, east side.

I don't know how many people were there, 15,000? A few more? But, it doesn't matter if you were one of those present. As Nitz says in the opener of the TV show "some people are calling this the most important home game in Tech history." There was a hype before the game...before the days of the Internet and forums like this...yet word spread. Well, if you were a true blue Tech fan you already knew the importance of the game. What I remember the most amongst we fans who stand the whole game was a prevailing attitude of "refuse to lose." When we fell behind 30-14, fans all around me were saying, "No! we cannot lose this game...we will NOT lose this game!" And the cheers of encouragement for the Dawgs to come back. I don't know how much influence that had on the team, the players and coaches, who had their own "refuse to lose" thingy going. I do remember our very own Scott Collis saying afterwards, "Did you hear that crowd out there!?" I hope we helped, even a little.

Listen to Nitz's voice crack with emotion when Bobby Slaughter hauled in the go-ahead TD. Tell me Tech Nation was not "all in" for that game.

Mostly, Coach Peace was responsible for building something special. Thanks Coach!!
    Thanks for that 80. That was the most powerful, gladdening experience for this DAWG fan. I think I walked the distance of the field every Tech offensive drive and was at the fence greeting the team as they came off the field - got a high-5 from Willie that could have torn my arm off. What a day. The drive back to BR didn't seem to take very long.

Now, let's hold on to that memory and hold out hope for others like it to come.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Re: Hall of Fame: Joe Raymond Peace - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Not me! I was happy to watch from the relative safety of the stands...south 40, east side.

I don't know how many people were there, 15,000? A few more? But, it doesn't matter if you were one of those present. As Nitz says in the opener of the TV show "some people are calling this the most important home game in Tech history." There was a hype before the game...before the days of the Internet and forums like this...yet word spread. Well, if you were a true blue Tech fan you already knew the importance of the game. What I remember the most amongst we fans who stand the whole game was a prevailing attitude of "refuse to lose." When we fell behind 30-14, fans all around me were saying, "No! we cannot lose this game...we will NOT lose this game!" And the cheers of encouragement for the Dawgs to come back. I don't know how much influence that had on the team, the players and coaches, who had their own "refuse to lose" thingy going. I do remember our very own Scott Collis saying afterwards, "Did you hear that crowd out there!?" I hope we helped, even a little.

Listen to Nitz's voice crack with emotion when Bobby Slaughter hauled in the go-ahead TD. Tell me Tech Nation was not "all in" for that game.

Mostly, Coach Peace was responsible for building something special. Thanks Coach!!
    Absolutely there was that attitude. I remember vividly that day when they missed the extra point I said immediately "those will come back to haunt you". I had a feeling right then and there that we would win that game. With coach Peace you knew win or lose we were going to punch you in the mouth and play the entire game.

+ Reply to Thread