+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Re: 2019-2020 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    He's still running a high school offense at the highest level of college football. He only got the Arkansas job because Arkansas wanted Mustain. Then he road Felix Jones and Darren McFadden to the Auburn gig. He then rode Cam Newton to the HC spot once they fired Gene C (a mystery hire if there ever was one). His whole career is "right place at the right time".
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day. I'm not a fan of him, as a matter of fact, I think he's a huge douche. However, the fans at Auburn are getting restless, and he's still got enough going for him to get hired at a top tiered P5. He's done a pretty good job in the toughest conference division in football, even if his offense sucks. If he waits until he gets fired (which is coming), his star power falls.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

They're both F_U

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think you may be right. Skip Holtz may be LA Tech's "Woody Hays" or "Bill Snyder". As long as he continues to win 8 or 9 games a season, and takes us to bowl games, Holtz will probably have a home here for a long time. Seven wins a year won't do it. But 8 or 9 wins will keep the pitchfork class at bay.
    Whew I am glad Woody Hayes has passed away. He would fight someone who compared him to Skip. 3 consensus national titles, 2 non-consensus national titles and 13 Big Ten championships. In his last 11 years as coach at Ohio State his team finished in the Top 5 eight times, winning one consensus national title. That's winning at a clip Skip cannot even dream about. Plus Woody nor his teams were ever boring.

I do agree Skip is here for the long term, just not the comparision to Hayes. Plus I am not sure I want the current administration hiring a head football coach, if he were to leave.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Whew I am glad Woody Hayes has passed away. He would fight someone who compared him to Skip. 3 consensus national titles, 2 non-consensus national titles and 13 Big Ten championships. In his last 11 years as coach at Ohio State his team finished in the Top 5 eight times, winning one consensus national title. That's winning at a clip Skip cannot even dream about. Plus Woody nor his teams were ever boring.

I do agree Skip is here for the long term, just not the comparision to Hayes. Plus I am not sure I want the current administration hiring a head football coach, if he were to leave.
    I agree with that, of course. And I knew someone was going to bring up Woody's W-L record vs Skip's, to which I agree, there is no comparison. But my point was more related to the "long tenure" opportunity that Skip has at Tech, which is analogous to some of the old ball coaches like Hayes and Snyder.

What's unusual is that coaches like Hayes & Snyder had long tenures at their schools specifically because they were extremely successful on the field. Yet, despite his lack of on-field success, Skip appears to have the opportunity for a long tenure anyway.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Plus I am not sure I want the current administration hiring a head football coach, if he were to leave.
    The current admin takes credit or gets credit anyway. Remember this hire was done just as D.R. was stepping down. D.R. (with a smirk and a wink) said it was Guice's hire. It was a bargain deal that allowed us to play a shell game with the money Dykes had extorted from us in 2011. They shifted the extra $500K over to Mike White, who we also knew would be leaving, then hired Holtz on the cheap letting South Florida pick up the tab for the first five years.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The current admin takes credit or gets credit anyway. Remember this hire was done just as D.R. was stepping down. D.R. (with a smirk and a wink) said it was Guice's hire. It was a bargain deal that allowed us to play a shell game with the money Dykes had extorted from us in 2011. They shifted the extra $500K over to Mike White, who we also knew would be leaving, then hired Holtz on the cheap letting South Florida pick up the tab for the first five years.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Which, if we're honest, was very smart. There's nothing wrong with hiring on the cheap, as long as you still get a nice return. And now, when looking at the salaries paid to football coaches in CUSA, LA Tech's administration looks like geniuses.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that, of course. And I knew someone was going to bring up Woody's W-L record vs Skip's, to which I agree, there is no comparison. But my point was more related to the "long tenure" opportunity that Skip has at Tech, which is analogous to some of the old ball coaches like Hayes and Snyder.

What's unusual is that coaches like Hayes & Snyder had long tenures at their schools specifically because they were extremely successful on the field. Yet, despite his lack of on-field success, Skip appears to have the opportunity for a long tenure anyway.
    Skip is more like Charlie McClendon, an 18 year head coach at LSU, who won a bunch of games (67%) and only one SEC championship.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Skip is more like Charlie McClendon, an 18 year head coach at LSU, who won a bunch of games (67%) and only one SEC championship.
    I was thinking more like Weird Al. Or Crocs. Or Sears. Or the Simpsons.

Even if you're not a fan, you have to grudgingly respect it's hung around for so long.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Which, if we're honest, was very smart. There's nothing wrong with hiring on the cheap, as long as you still get a nice return. And now, when looking at the salaries paid to football coaches in CUSA, LA Tech's administration looks like geniuses.
    I won't say it is wrong, but it is inconsistent with the events that led up to the huge raise Dykes received.

When Dykes and his agent called BVDV to say that Houston had offered Dykes the job, BVDV went nuts. They were preparing for the bowl game in SanDiego and things were hectic. Our "money folks" agreed to give him the extra $500K, but nobody bothered to write the buyout to favor Tech instead of Dykes. The buyout is another issue, but speaks to the total cluster this deal became. There was a group of Tech fans who wanted to call BS on Dykes demand for a raise. The "well healed" group who agreed to give him the raise said it could be justified because it built up coaching salary to nearly $1M per year and that we need to be there so we can get quality hires in the future.

One year later, Dykes is hired away by Cal. We get a big nothing from the buyout and our new coach is getting paid about what Dykes got paid before the 2011 raise. The money was simply shifted to MBB. Some call it smart. Some would call it cheap. Eight years later we are paying our football HC approximately $200K more than we were in 2011. So much for that Dykes raise paying off.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, if Skip can guide Tech to one SEC Championship I'd say he would have earned his keep. But, let's start with ONE CUSA Championship then go from there...

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie McClendon was an idiot. He had Bert Jones dividing time with another QB.

That does seem like something Skip would do.

Now that's a great point. That's a much better analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Charlie McClendon was an idiot. He had Bert Jones dividing time with another QB.

That does seem like something Skip would do.
    Paul Lyons, right? #16.

He was terrible. Actually, they say Lyons (5'11") was a very good runner, while Ruston's own Bert Jones (6'3") was the passer. So, Charlie McClendon divided playing time equally between Paul Lyons, and future NFL Most Valuable Player, Bert Frickin Jones! HAHA! You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/paul-lyons-1.html

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Typical Louisiana politics.

+ Reply to Thread