+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the new law concerning college athletes in California?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Thoughts on the new law concerning college athletes in California?

My guess is Florida is next. Miami has to find a way to become relevant again.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I saw something about Florida considering it. And that their proposal could begin before Cali’s.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

The one that could be really messy is the representative in the NY legislature not only proposing what California has done, but he wants to add that universities must take 15% of their revenue and split it amongst the athletes.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Yes! Get this law passed today so EA can start on NCAA Football 2020!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Ohio St AD Gene Smith is going to fight this all the way. He says this ruling will ultimately create a huge competitive imbalance in the NCAA. So, he's likely recommending that the California schools be kicked out of the NCAA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es/3778683002/

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    5 star QB recruit out of Texas is choosing between Alabama and LSU...but there is an open bidding war between a Lawyer in Birmingham and a Car Dealership in Baton Rouge and the current offer is $500,000 a year to have his pic on billboards if he plays for their school. That times thousands of players at lower amounts. That is what will happen on day 1. Every dollar of under the table money would immediately go above the table and multiply with risk no longer involved.
    You have that exactly right, no more underhanded money deals, players just go to the best markets. That means bigger and richer metropolitan areas and not the piney woods of north Louisiana, not even the Oxfords P5 areas like that. It will be a bidding war that will quickly get out of hand, money will flow like rivers in some areas!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

This is typical of the extreme left wing nut that is the governor of California. Instead of trying to do something about 60,000 homeless people living on the street in downtown Los Angeles and San Francisco, he decides he'd like to screw up college football. The EPA finally filed a lawsuit against his state yesterday for dumping raw sewage in the ocean.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I'm all for it. The richest schools already get the players they want. But this way instead of an under the table payoff, the money is out in the open.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    5 star QB recruit out of Texas is choosing between Alabama and LSU...but there is an open bidding war between a Lawyer in Birmingham and a Car Dealership in Baton Rouge and the current offer is $500,000 a year to have his pic on billboards if he plays for their school. That times thousands of players at lower amounts. That is what will happen on day 1. Every dollar of under the table money would immediately go above the table and multiply with risk no longer involved.
    I've been thinking about this ... and I agree it's a possible scenario.

And I'm fine with it. (So long as there's a an actual non-athletic service exchanged for the payment, of course.) Let BR car dealership and AL lawyer duke it out. If the marketing can support it, so what?

We know these types of transactions happen anyway. Legitimizing them offers transparency and accountability (W2s, receipts, tax returns, P&L statements, etc).

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I've been thinking about this ... and I agree it's a possible scenario.

And I'm fine with it. (So long as there's a an actual non-athletic service exchanged for the payment, of course.) Let BR car dealership and AL lawyer duke it out. If the marketing can support it, so what?

We know these types of transactions happen anyway. Legitimizing them offers transparency and accountability (W2s, receipts, tax returns, P&L statements, etc).
    Even with the transparency, this will still help bring about a very uneven playing field not only in the G5, but the P5 also. When you consider that an athlete has the opportunity to go to a top twenty program that is also in a major metropolitan area, the opportunities will be unlimited if the player makes the cut and becomes a starter. When a player is offered a scholarship and told if he makes it into a starters position and meets certain criteria as a RB, DL, DB, QB, such as yardage, tackles, TD's--he will then be given a five figure payout for commercials for XYZ cars. Where will this player choose to go? He is going for the bucks, it is a gamble anywhere he goes, so why not gamble on the best payoff which he will probably work extra hard for.

May of us still watch NCAA sports because we have the belief that most all of the players are out there because they love and want to play the game, We watch the NFL if we want to see paid players. Making NCAA football a paid amateur league just takes the fun out of it for many of us and would create an even more un-level playing field. An amateur league would need to be a self supporting, stand on it's own league, not a Public university/student/government subsidized league. That is exactly what you would have and you notice I did not put boosters in that last sentence, because they would probably be greatly reduced, they may turn into advertisers or just go away. A lot of people still like the idea of the purity of NCAA sports, players play because they love it, and because they want an opportunity to get an education that they may not get otherwise.

I agree that athletes should be rewarded in some way when they are helping some of these schools make millions upon millions, but making this an amateur league with endorsements deals is not the answer in my opinion. I would like to see a safety net for athletes who come in on scholarship and get hurt early on and lose a scholarship have the opportunity to finish out his education on some type of scholarship. That is if the Athlete was a good student and took his education serious and had the ambition to finish. Many Universities are reaping big rewards from these players, there does need to be some security in it for them, but if they want to do endorsements and get paid, enter the draft.

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    Even with the transparency, this will still help bring about a very uneven playing field not only in the G5, but the P5 also. When you consider that an athlete has the opportunity to go to a top twenty program that is also in a major metropolitan area, the opportunities will be unlimited if the player makes the cut and becomes a starter. When a player is offered a scholarship and told if he makes it into a starters position and meets certain criteria as a RB, DL, DB, QB, such as yardage, tackles, TD's--he will then be given a five figure payout for commercials for XYZ cars. Where will this player choose to go? He is going for the bucks, it is a gamble anywhere he goes, so why not gamble on the best payoff which he will probably work extra hard for.

May of us still watch NCAA sports because we have the belief that most all of the players are out there because they love and want to play the game, We watch the NFL if we want to see paid players. Making NCAA football a paid amateur league just takes the fun out of it for many of us and would create an even more un-level playing field. An amateur league would need to be a self supporting, stand on it's own league, not a Public university/student/government subsidized league. That is exactly what you would have and you notice I did not put boosters in that last sentence, because they would probably be greatly reduced, they may turn into advertisers or just go away. A lot of people still like the idea of the purity of NCAA sports, players play because they love it, and because they want an opportunity to get an education that they may not get otherwise.

I agree that athletes should be rewarded in some way when they are helping some of these schools make millions upon millions, but making this an amateur league with endorsements deals is not the answer in my opinion. I would like to see a safety net for athletes who come in on scholarship and get hurt early on and lose a scholarship have the opportunity to finish out his education on some type of scholarship. That is if the Athlete was a good student and took his education serious and had the ambition to finish. Many Universities are reaping big rewards from these players, there does need to be some security in it for them, but if they want to do endorsements and get paid, enter the draft.
    I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this yet, but considering the ease now of entering in the transfer portal, players that were not heavily recruited and go on to make a big splash early in their college career could decide to leave and go to the school with the highest bidders (endorsements). Image how much Amik could have made after his freshman year.

Players can transfer now, but I think there is a sense of loyalty that keeps them here. The incentive of big dollar signs however may be too much for them to ignore in the future.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Dawg View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this yet, but considering the ease now of entering in the transfer portal, players that were not heavily recruited and go on to make a big splash early in their college career could decide to leave and go to the school with the highest bidders (endorsements). Image how much Amik could have made after his freshman year.

Players can transfer now, but I think there is a sense of loyalty that keeps them here. The incentive of big dollar signs however may be too much for them to ignore in the future.
    I totally agree.... This will impact transfers quickly. On the flip side, we won't see transfers coming in either. No more players like Driskill and others. Players will stick to where they can get the most payout - even those that have graduated and still have a year left on eligibility. This will impact EVERYTHING! What if the P5 teams leave the NCAA? Will the G5 just not play them anymore. They won't like that, since they can rack up wins that way. What happens to the losing P5 programs? Do they drop to G5, because they aren't getting endorsement deals?

My thought is that they will eventually settle on a minimum and maximum payment to players that is more balanced and it will apply to all NCAA programs. It will be negotiated to keep everyone in the game and with the NCAA. Full scholarship and living expenses paid for every player. I can't see the P5 really wanting to leave the NCAA and I don't think the NCAA will give in on this. Just my 2 cents. If that doesn't happen, we will have semi-pro teams and the G5 will be the NCAA. I don't see that happening, but I have been wrong many times.

Anyway you slice it, though, things are going to be very different in the next 3 to 4 years (it will take that long for things to sort out). There is a lot that has to be worked out - just one example is the bottom teams in the P5 conferences and that changes each year for many of them. When you think about it, there are only about 15 teams that are always at or near the top year in and year out. There will be separation in just the P5 conferences based on what stars they can recruit.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

This is all they need and they really don't deserve this.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/cost-of-attendance-spending-money.htm#targetText=The Power 5 conferences (ACC,cost-of-living expenses.

We knew when they received this, the next bite would be an attempt at the "likeness" BS. I never thought I'd be glad we have TitleIX, but it is what will prevent the NCAA from allowing it. The only way this will happen is for schools to withdraw from the NCAA and the states will run the new "program". That should work out well.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

If companies begin bidding for players, it will turn ugly.

But there are aspects of this that the NCAA needs to change. A player should be able to profit for himself/herself. They should be able to run their own business, or have a YouTube channel. They should be able to take internships when they are offered one, and not have to turn it down because the NCAA doesn’t allow it. The NCAA shouldn’t be able to 100% dictate what these students do with their own time and money.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post

But there are aspects of this that the NCAA needs to change. A player should be able to profit for himself/herself. They should be able to run their own business, or have a YouTube channel. They should be able to take internships when they are offered one, and not have to turn it down because the NCAA doesn’t allow it. The NCAA shouldn’t be able to 100% dictate what these students do with their own time and money.
    Wrong! Amateur athletes should not profit from play. They are already getting an extremely valuable exchange. The NFL should change their rules to prevent high school players from going straight to the league. Some are advocating the free farm system for the NFL in the name of the players. Total BS.

+ Reply to Thread