+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

  1. #1
    Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Bossier City, LA
    Posts
    14,899

    The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    The Good:
    The switch to Bob Diaco's 3-4 Defense has gone relatively well. Tech has shown a very stout Red Zone Defense, but still needs to sharpen up when they are on the other 80 yards. We don't play Zone Defense that well, but are really good in Man. Would love to create a few more Turnovers.

    The Bad:
    I'm not sure why we continue to run the same Read Option play over and over again, especially on 1st and 2nd downs. It's predictable and only mildly successful. When we can overpower teams like BG, FIU, UMass, UsTEP, and UTSA, then it looks REALLY good to impose our will on them. Against the other 6 teams, it's just boring banging our heads into a wall... or our RB into a D-Line.

    The Ugly:
    The thing that's clearly holding our Offense back is route running EFFORT by our WR's. They often run the 5-10 yard route and stop. They don't get open and don't find the open pockets. The drops in the Rice game killed the offense. We couldn't sustain any drives due to those drops. I falsely believed that Rice wasn't going to be a problem for us. I have to wonder if that could have been true without the Charmin EXTRA SOFT coverage in the first quarter which gave up 2 TD's, and the plethora of drops by the WR's throughout the game



    Whatcha got?

  2. #2
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,253

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    The Good:
    The switch to Bob Diaco's 3-4 Defense has gone relatively well. Tech has shown a very stout Red Zone Defense, but still needs to sharpen up when they are on the other 80 yards. We don't play Zone Defense that well, but are really good in Man. Would love to create a few more Turnovers.

    The Bad:
    I'm not sure why we continue to run the same Read Option play over and over again, especially on 1st and 2nd downs. It's predictable and only mildly successful. When we can overpower teams like BG, FIU, UMass, UsTEP, and UTSA, then it looks REALLY good to impose our will on them. Against the other 6 teams, it's just boring banging our heads into a wall... or our RB into a D-Line.

    The Ugly:
    The thing that's clearly holding our Offense back is route running EFFORT by our WR's. They often run the 5-10 yard route and stop. They don't get open and don't find the open pockets. The drops in the Rice game killed the offense. We couldn't sustain any drives due to those drops. I falsely believed that Rice wasn't going to be a problem for us. I have to wonder if that could have been true without the Charmin EXTRA SOFT coverage in the first quarter which gave up 2 TD's, and the plethora of drops by the WR's throughout the game



    Whatcha got?
    For the most part, really good comments. However, I would argue that the reason our defense performs BETTER in our own red zone is because thatís where Diaco abandons that silly 3-4 defense. No team can pressure an opposing QB when they are in a 3-4 defense.

    You are spot on about our receivers. They were awful Saturday night. Somewhere in that very long 9/28 Rice game thread is a post by me saying much the same. IMO, LA Tech has always been ďReceiver UĒ. From General Patton, to Trent Taylor, to Sean Cangelosi, to Troy Edwards, to Billy Ryckman...and many, many more...LA Tech has always had some of THE BEST receivers in college football. But Saturday, this 2019 bunch stained the legacy, although Iím hoping itís only temporary.

    Letís just say itís time for the 2019 receiving corp at LA Tech to stop the excuses, and start catching passes. No more drops. Weíre not asking these kids to split atoms. RECEIVERS: Catch the passes, run clean and crisp routes, block the opposition when youíre supposed to, and for Peteís sake, RUN BACK toward your QB when heís in trouble. Give him an emergency outlet. Donít just stand around watching your QB get sacked. If you just want to WATCH football instead of play it, I swear Iíll save you a seat in the stands right next to me.

  3. #3
    Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    i donít believe we should ever rush only 3. And if we will rush only 4 then spice it up with a little creativity. Need to pressure QBs more to help the secondary and increase odds of turnovers. Secondary is supposed to be our strength, but they deserve a little help from some QB pressure. Of course our 3rd and long decisions to go with the no pressure AND soft coverage combo is insanity too.

  4. #4
    Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East of the mighty Ouachita
    Posts
    7,609

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    The Good:
    The switch to Bob Diaco's 3-4 Defense has gone relatively well. Tech has shown a very stout Red Zone Defense, but still needs to sharpen up when they are on the other 80 yards. We don't play Zone Defense that well, but are really good in Man. Would love to create a few more Turnovers.

    The Bad:
    I'm not sure why we continue to run the same Read Option play over and over again, especially on 1st and 2nd downs. It's predictable and only mildly successful. When we can overpower teams like BG, FIU, UMass, UsTEP, and UTSA, then it looks REALLY good to impose our will on them. Against the other 6 teams, it's just boring banging our heads into a wall... or our RB into a D-Line.

    The Ugly:
    The thing that's clearly holding our Offense back is route running EFFORT by our WR's. They often run the 5-10 yard route and stop. They don't get open and don't find the open pockets. The drops in the Rice game killed the offense. We couldn't sustain any drives due to those drops. I falsely believed that Rice wasn't going to be a problem for us. I have to wonder if that could have been true without the Charmin EXTRA SOFT coverage in the first quarter which gave up 2 TD's, and the plethora of drops by the WR's throughout the game



    Whatcha got?
    Excellent analysis. The 3-4 is a great defense when you have a stud nose tackle and LB’s like the Dome Patrol of old. Otherwise it’s not. The talent is there with the receivers, just need the consistency to follow.

  5. #5
    Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Excellent analysis. The 3-4 is a great defense when you have a stud nose tackle and LB’s like the Dome Patrol of old. Otherwise it’s not. The talent is there with the receivers, just need the consistency to follow.
    How many stud d-lineman do we have? It’s probably easier to find serviceable linebackers. We have athlete’s at receivers, Bobby Slaughter didn’t have near the athletic ability as the current crew, but if you threw it near him he would catch it.

  6. #6
    Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East of the mighty Ouachita
    Posts
    7,609

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    How many stud d-lineman do we have? It’s probably easier to find serviceable linebackers. We have athlete’s at receivers, Bobby Slaughter didn’t have near the athletic ability as the current crew, but if you threw it near him he would catch it.
    The last Dlineman we had that was made for the 3-4 was Justin Ellis. You have to be able to consistently handle double teams to free up your LB’s to make plays. If not it’s better to go with a 4 man front IMO

  7. #7
    Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Regarding UGLY, uLm uniforms today on ESPNU. Somebody needs to be kicked out of their athletic department for that decision. Donít recall us ever being guilty of sporting ugly uniforms in the last 35years at least, if ever.

  8. #8
    Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    9,685

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    More ugly is watching next week's opponent.

    FIU up on Massachusetts 17-0 still in the 1st quarter.

    Next week's line should be on the large side of -30, and if Tech can't cover.... Just sayin'.

  9. #9
    Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    More ugly is watching next week's opponent.

    FIU up on Massachusetts 17-0 still in the 1st quarter.

    Next week's line should be on the large side of -30, and if Tech can't cover.... Just sayin'.
    Yes, now 34-0 FIU at half. We should expect nothing less next week.

  10. #10
    Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    The last Dlineman we had that was made for the 3-4 was Justin Ellis. You have to be able to consistently handle double teams to free up your LB’s to make plays. If not it’s better to go with a 4 man front IMO
    Big Vern at 6í4 325 would be beasting right now.

  11. #11
    Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    9,685

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    Yes, now 34-0 FIU at half. We should expect nothing less next week.
    44-0 FIU was the final score with a scoreless 4th quarter.

  12. #12
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    39,138

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    Yes, now 34-0 FIU at half. We should expect nothing less next week.
    Well, expect something less next weekend.

  13. #13
    Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East of the mighty Ouachita
    Posts
    7,609

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    IF we manage to somehow beat Daddy at home, and thats assuming we beat UMASS, I like our chances of playing for the conference championship at Ruston. I know it probably won't happen, but this is our best chance since entering CUSA.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    56,065

    Re: The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly

    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    44-0 FIU was the final score with a scoreless 4th quarter.
    Running clock?

    Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    IF we manage to somehow beat Daddy at home, and thats assuming we beat UMASS, I like our chances of playing for the conference championship at Ruston. I know it probably won't happen, but this is our best chance since entering CUSA.
    HCSH cumulative point differential by quarter:

    231 522 654 -54

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts