+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: 10/19 Southern Miss Game

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: 10/19 Southern Miss Game

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Eagles won the toss and elected to receive. Something about "getting an extra possession in the 1st half"
    And it back-fired!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Just a side story...Not long ago 2016 or 2017(?) we lost the toss. The other team deferred, and we elected to kick. We ended up kicking off in the 1st and 2nd half. Typical C-USA Refs screwed up by not questioning the decision. Obviously they knew and knew the captain of the day was nervous and screwing up, but they still let it happen. I remember Holtz being very upset about it. Frisco or History may remember the exact details.
    Hawaii. 2010? Dont remember the exact year. What a shitshow of a game.

Champ BoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud of BoutThemDawgs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    That was the one with the like 30 minute review to determine if they had 4 or 5 downs right?

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BoutThemDawgs View Post
    That was the one with the like 30 minute review to determine if they had 4 or 5 downs right?
    I think that was the first red out in 2009 under Dooley

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BoutThemDawgs View Post
    Right, and then they got it wrong after all that.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    It was Hawaii 2011. The same one with the 22 min review.

Oh -- and the cash drop from the commish to refs at the start of halftime

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I don't agree that "Because you always want the ball to start the 2nd half" is a legitimate reason to take that ENORMOUS risk that early in the game. In fact, on the surface it's a borderline stupid act. That why I thought I would ask if there was a legitimate reason for taking such enormous risk on the very first play of the game. Your answer tells me there's not.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    We had that opportunity yesterday. We score on the last possession of the half....But we didn’t capitalize on the 1st possession of the 2nd half. We got the win. Why do fans have to question every decision a coach makes? Deferring to the 2nd half is a very common decision. Yes, they scored on the opening kickoff, because of poor execution by a kickoff team.
    Are you just not listening? Have not read my reasons for concern? Did you NOT see the scoreboard after the first 10 seconds?

Geez pal, get a clue. I'm questioning the call because it makes NO DAMN SENSE to give a high powered offense the ball first --and potentially more often-- in a game, especially to a team that has one of the nations best kick return units, like USM's. I don't like seeing my team have to dig themselves out of a 14-0 hole to start a big time conference game. THAT'S WHY!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    In 2016, 82% of nfl teams that won the toss deferred.
    This ain't the NFL. Because of the draft, everybody has pretty equal talent in the NFL.

I'm just curious if any of the 18% of teams who didn't defer to the 2nd half actually go by the name of "New England Patriots"? LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I would think that you could possibly score on the last possession of the half and receive the kickoff to begin the 2nd half. Pretty much standard practice historically for most teams. Statistically I don't know how it works out.
    But there's no guarantee that you're going to have the ball last at the end of the 1st half. And if you don't, that means the other team got more possessions than you did in the first half.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

To defer or not. I think it depends on a team's strength. If you have a high-powered offense...take the ball. If you have a great defense...kick off to start the game. Here's why: field position. Most of the time, and by that I mean like 90%+, the receiving team will start that first drop from the 25 or further back. A strong defense can force a 3 and out, and after a typical punt, that team, who kicked off, will start its first drive outside of the 35. Often near its own 40. So! a team with a strong defense, and an average offense benefits from that initial exchange by up to 15 yards of field position.

Of course we could play this out...let's say they fail to get a first down, and punt on 4th and 2 from their own 43. Chances are good that punt will be downed, or fair-catched down around the 15 or even the 10. Now that strong defense has the opposing team backed-up. Second punt gives that team field position somewhere close to the 50. And, so on...

So, the moral of the story is to play to your team's strengths, and try to protect against your weaknesses. Winning the toss gives you that option.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just going to state one thing: Holtz coached this game like he coaches Bowl games. THAT is why we won and I am not sure why he doesn't coach every game with the same mind-set.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    "New England Patriots"? LOL!!
    Nope. The Pats almost always defer. I tried to find the stats in college, but haven’t found them yet.

You don’t have to agree that my reasoning is legitimate. It’s a free country and you’re free to be wrong. 😂

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    No need for you or anyone else to eat crow. Most of us have been saying that this is how we should have been playing from the start instead of the crap we've been doing. The team that showed up yesterday would have beat Texas, and outscored everyone else by at least 35.
    Really? So all of the previous and constant criticizing, complaining and condemning thru the first six games was actually carefully crafted and intended to be a prophesy of what could be. How dumb of me. I foolishly thought it was a "chicken little" critique of the past, and I completely missed the prediction of a successful future. Please forgive me.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Nope. The Pats almost always defer. I tried to find the stats in college, but haven’t found them yet.

You don’t have to agree that my reasoning is legitimate. It’s a free country and you’re free to be wrong. 😂
    Every single team I know of defers when they win that coin toss. Not making a comment on if it’s a good or bad strategy, I’m just saying they all do it. Everyone of our opponents do it including Grambling.

+ Reply to Thread