+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Abraham Butt Lickers

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Abraham Butt Lickers

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So, you think this is about you and your personal conflict with LA Tech supporters who don't always agree with you? LA Tech supporters who give money, time and energy to the program. And attend games?
    Yeah. This is a message board. Are you new here?

And don’t act like some persecuted minority. J’Mar bashers have had the run of the roost for three years.

That’s what’s always been weird...on this fan board, you can catch more hell for defending our players than you do for staring dreamy-eyed at guys who quit the team.

Pretty crazy. I’m ready to move on...have been for some time.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Yeah. This is a message board. Are you new here?

And don’t act like some persecuted minority. J’Mar bashers have had the run of the roost for three years.

*With good reason. We've certainly lost more than our fair share of winnable games on J'Mar's watch as well. Pardon me, if I feel like WE ALL have a HUGE investment in J'Mar's welfare and future performances as a Dawg.

That’s what’s always been weird...on this fan board, you can catch more hell for defending our players than you do for staring dreamy-eyed at guys who quit the team.

*You don't have to defend our players. I don't know a single fan on this board who pulls against our players. The discussion question usually is, "is THIS player on the field better than ANOTHER player we have in the stable or on the bench". And that kind of sports discussion is healthy, and will never go away. It takes place at practically every FBS school in America every week.

Pretty crazy. I’m ready to move on...have been for some time.

Aahh....but "Clyde the Coward" is not over it. (Then again, he really is twisted, so everything's okay.) We're winning, so let's enjoy it! I can honestly say I had more fun at the LA Tech game yesterday than I've probably had since 2012. The fans need to come back again now.

Please see my comments above in blue.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Your comments don’t excuse it. People were adamant he was better. He is good, better at some things, worse at others.

But he is good enough to have been our solid backup or maybe starter if he stayed. He never gave it a chance, though.

The criticism wasn’t that founded, because nobody knows what exactly was going on. What we do know is he didn’t stay here one full season as a healthy option.

And we have talked about how Holtz was playing too conservative, possibly with the fear of harming the QB. Because he had no backup. His backups kept leaving.
    If we had a decent backup playing we may have actually been more open with J’Mar from the start, but there has been a serious void there for two whole seasons.
    Higgins was pretty great at passing, racked up yards, and wasn’t afraid to run or chase down an interception. And part of Holtz allowing that is because he had JMar as a serviceable backup.
    Same could be said of Driskel, I know Higgins was having some issues for parts of the season and they tried not to play him much, but if we HAD to, he could have likely worked out OK.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Tweet of the weekend:

IMG_0355.jpg
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I'll say this...the bar has been lowered in Tech Nation re: QBs.

I see too many people stating that Smith was a "rock star" vs. USM. Really? He was 14 of 21 for 325 yds 1 TD, 1 INT. For Smith, it was a good game. And that's the problem. The quality of QB play has been ratcheted so far down that some Tech fans view a game like that as something to behold. And! to make matters worse, some measure Smith's performance against that of Abraham's, as if he's some pillar of quarterbacking that others should be judged against.

Try this...measure J'mar Smith against: Ryan Higgins, Luke McCown, Tim Rattay, Jason Martin, Matt Dunigan, etc...

I have posted this before, but I see too many need reminding...at Louisiana Tech we know what a good college QB looks like. For those of us who refuse to endorse mediocrity as the acceptable level of our QB, Smith does not measure up. And nor does anyone who remotely rivals him.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Smith played a good solid game against USM. The QB does not have to be a rock star for the team to win games as this game proves.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Case in point...

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I'l
    Try this...measure J'mar Smith against: Ryan Higgins, Luke McCown, Tim Rattay, Jason Martin, Matt Dunigan, etc...
    He stacks up pretty good against Luke (the only one I looked at):

Luke:
    43 games
    1067 completions
    1775 attempts
    59.9 completion percentage
    12,666 yards
    87 TDs
    62 Ints
    129 QB rating
    Record: 18-25

J'mar:
    39 games
    671 completions
    1,144 attempts
    58.7 completion percentage
    8,428 yards
    43 TDs
    19 Ints
    129.9 rating
    Record: 21-13

Luke wore his cap backwards, and toiled under Jack Bicknell's mediocre coaching. His career numbers are skewed because of those factors. Still, he was a better QB than Smith, and did have a rather lengthy NFL career.

Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of

Sometimes, stats can be deceiving when taken at face value. The McCown vs. Smith stat comparison is a good example.

First, the competition in the WAC in 2001-2003 was a far superior conference to what we are facing now. Anyone who wants to argue otherwise is foolish.

Second, the OOC schedules were significantly harder in 2001-2003: at Oklahoma State, at Auburn, at Kansas State, Clemson (Bowl), Oklahoma State (W), at Penn State, at Clemson, at Texas A&M, Miami, at Michigan State (W), ULL and at LSU. In McCown's sophomore, junior and senior seasons he faced a total of 12 OOC opponents, with all but ONE being from the Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big 10.

As for 2000, he had his red shirt pulled as a freshman in the fifth game of the season. His competition included: at Tulsa, at MTSU, ULL, at Auburn, at Miami, UCF, at ULM and at Hawaii.

Also, only 16 of Luke's 43 games were played at "home" (13 in Ruston and 3 in Shreveport).

When looking at the entire picture, I am confident that if McCown played the schedules that Tech is playing now, his numbers would be significantly better.

---------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    He stacks up pretty good against Luke (the only one I looked at):
    Luke:
    43 games
    1067 completions
    1775 attempts
    59.9 completion percentage
    12,666 yards
    87 TDs
    62 Ints
    129 QB rating
    Record: 18-25

J'mar:
    39 games
    671 completions
    1,144 attempts
    58.7 completion percentage
    8,428 yards
    43 TDs
    19 Ints
    129.9 rating
    Record: 21-13

Good post Brad! (what he said)

And, I will add Luke McCown is on my list, but not near the top of it...the all-time best QBs in Tech history list. But, he is on the list, and that's what really matters. He is in the vein of what makes a QB a "Tech QB."

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with y'all; different offensive schemes and schedules (and Luke's receivers were not as good as J'Mar's). But man, Luke threw 62 picks in 43 games! Do y'all remember when he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds and it got picked off? The next time he threw it into the stands and the Tech crowd gave him a standing ovation... and he acknowledged it with a wave to the crowd!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

What makes a QB a Tech QB is the name on his jersey. Smith doesn't fit the mold of Luke McCown...who didn't fit the mold of Tim Rattay...who didn't fit the mold of Jason Martin...who didn't fit the mold of Terry Bradshaw. I could keep going, but I think you get it.

J'Mar played a great game. There were a number of drops...one dropped TD that would've improved his numbers, but his 20+ yards per completion got the job done. He's moving up the yardage charts as well as the wins. Saturday showed why he was #1 when Abraham decided to move on.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    You know who you are.....hahahahahahaha
    Yet, Jack Abraham is currently #4 in the nation. I think the joke is on you.

One good quarter by J'Mar doesn't constitute being a better quarterback, but the J'Mar that showed up in the 4th quarter is a better quarterback. I would like to believe that's the guy Skip Holtz saw when he selected him. I hope for J'Mar's continued success and wish him no ill will. He is currently 19th in the nation, which is impressive. I mean, 19 out of all 415 passers in FBS football IS impressive.

Top Passers

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

One good quarter? His first half play was good. His 4th quarter was good. Neither team did much in the 3rd.

+ Reply to Thread