+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Designated Writers: Tech leaves the past behind in win over Southern Miss

Big Dog Dorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to beholdDorm Fridge is a splendid one to behold

Designated Writers: Tech leaves the past behind in win over Southern Miss

Tech alumnus JJ Marshall penned a nice article about the big game at Designated Writers, a site that he and Teddy Allen run.

RUSTON – There will come a time in the future when Louisiana Tech head coach Skip Holtz will remember that day in 2019 when his team beat Southern Miss 45-30. He will remember that it was on a beautiful Saturday. He’ll recall how the crowd seemed more alive than it had in a long time at Joe Aillet Stadium.

And there will be no shortage of things he could recall … how a transfer wide receiver put himself in the school record book … how a cornerback who always seems to have a knack of making plays had three interceptions … how his team got off the deck after being smacked in the mouth to the tune of 14-0 after just nine minutes.

But what Holtz might remember the most was what happened after the game when the team was walking off the field and one of his players came up to him. “Coach,” he said, “thanks for believing in us.”

It is hard not to, after seeing what Tech did Saturday in the win over the Golden Eagles.
    More at http://www.designatedwriters.com/unc...e-past-behind/

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Designated Writers: Tech leaves the past behind in win over Southern Miss

Thanks for posting this.

I like what I read in that article. Holtz saying "the 2019 Bulldogs will attack." Great coach! But why didn't the 2018 and 2017 Bulldogs attack too? That's what many of us have been screaming! Water under the bridge now. As I just posted on the UTEP thread let's see these "attacking Bulldogs" show up in El Paso. If they do...well then, this might indeed turn into a special kind of season.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dorm Fridge View Post
    Tech alumnus JJ Marshall penned a nice article about the big game at Designated Writers, a site that he and Teddy Allen run.

More at http://www.designatedwriters.com/unc...e-past-behind/
    GREAT article. I encourage every LA Tech fan to read it.

But this part is NOT true.

The past was very much in play in the buildup to this game. Holtz had never beaten Southern Miss during his time as Tech head coach, lowlighted by a loss two years ago in Ruston that truly had to be seen to be comprehended.
    I don't know how JJ messed up that statistic, but LA Tech --with Skip Holtz as Head Coach-- beat Southern Miss in 2013 and 2014. So, LA Tech is now 3-4 against Southern Miss during the Skip Holtz tenure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivalry_in_Dixie

Everything else in this article is well written.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Maybe he meant never beaten the "real" USM. Beating the Buzzards when they are 0-12 doesn't really mean much.

Just noticed, 45 is the most we have ever scored against USM. The previous best was 36, also under Holtz in 2013.

Most memorable wins were 28-10 in 1977 and 13-6 in 1982. That latter one came one week after the Buzzards beat Bama, as I recall. As for games, well of course, there were the infamous "Snow Bowl" in 1976 Tech 23 USM 22 and the "Rain Bowl" in 1988, Them 26 Dawgs 19. They had Brett Favre at QB.

Some of you bristle at the mere mention of this being rivalry, but I think it's the closest thing we have to one. It certainly can grow to be a good rivalry.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

I want to say there was a year we beat all 3 ""lap-sitter" state Div 1 schools... or did I dream that.

Found it, I was wrong, but we played 'em tuff:
    2011 season
    TECH 27 Ole Miss 7
    State 26 TECH 20
    USM 19 TECH 17
    Last edited by OLDBLUE; 10-22-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: update

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    and the "Rain Bowl" in 1988, Them 26 Dawgs 19. They had Brett Favre at QB.
    The steps in Aillett looked like roaring rapids it rained so hard -

I've NEVER EVER been at another game where it rained that hard

The fact that anyone could remotely hold onto the football was amazing
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread