+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA starts process to allow athletes to profit off likeness

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: NCAA starts process to allow athletes to profit off likeness

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I see it possibly going to a clearing-house type function - much like the eligibility process...

There will be certain actions that are allowed - a majority that won't be

The employees (i.e. players) will not be allowed to appear in school uniforms or use similar graphics unless there is remuneration made to the school also (i.e. how marketable is Joe or Jane Public NOT wearing a State Tech uniform)

Any monies earned will be taxable to the student and the school (which could endanger not-for-profit status for foundations and schools)

Honestly - I think ALL not-for-profit status should be stripped from University Athletic Foundations right now - but that's my personal opinion
    Yep, these young people’s lives are about to get much more complicated. With money like this in play, it’s not unreasonable to think a player will be dealing with (or harassed by) agents, lawyers, accountants, tax advisors, advertising people, business execs and more during football season. More than likely, neither the players or the schools they play for, are prepared to deal with this.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ......Or what if a Joe Burrow type player is a junior this year, but he is offered a much more lucrative deal this winter to come play his senior season at Alabama??
    In his case, he would not be allowed. 1) the school and his LOI agreement would prevent it. 2) He'd have to sit a year and he does not have a year to sit.

This will all be a total cluster that favors some and not others who are the EXACT situation.

Just stick to the rules as they are now.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

......Or what if a Joe Burrow type player is a junior this year, but he is offered a much more lucrative deal this winter to come play his senior season at Alabama??
    That’s where this is heading. Before it’s over, it won’t be much different than the NFL for the upper 1/3 of the P5

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I just don’t think it will be a free for all -

I think it will be a very defined set of circumstances that are allowed to be “paid for” and that money will be handled much like the Olympic model

I do think that the NFL and NBA will both relax draft eligibility rules through their unions as a result of this...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I think it will be a very defined set of circumstances that are allowed to be “paid for” and that money will be handled much like the Olympic model
    .....Riiiiight. A "free for all" is exactly what it's going to be. The Olympic model is much different. Comparatively speaking, it's child's play. You don't have a multi-billion dollar professional league --like the NFL-- bearing down on your Olympic sports like you do in football. You don't have big time TV contracts at stake like you do in college football. None of the Olympic sports offer anywhere near as much exposure or near as many financial opportunities as college football will offer.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

.....Riiiiight. A "free for all" is exactly what it's going to be. The Olympic model is much different. Comparatively speaking, it's child's play. You don't have a multi-billion dollar professional league --like the NFL-- bearing down on your Olympic sports like you do in football. You don't have big time TV contracts at stake like you do in college football. None of the Olympic sports offer anywhere near as much exposure or near as many financial opportunities as college football will offer.
    Do your research on the track & field dollars that are out there for NCAA thin clads over seas - the numbers are mind boggling

Like I said - I don't see auto graph sessions and pitching product for the local car dealers and furniture store making the cut

This will be about jersey sales, video gaming, product advertising on the university level with images on schedules etc - which may bleed over to the beverage market some but not much

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Give me NCAA football 2021 on PS or XBox and I will probably learn to live with any other consequences.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

I do think that the NFL and NBA will both relax draft eligibility rules through their unions as a result of this...
    Ohio State AD Gene Smith was on SiriusXM this morning. It's obvious what the NCAA has in mind with this is something like what Dwayne is outlining. Maybe even more conservative. The problem for the NCAA is the fact the state of California has something far different in mind.

I think the same will hold true for Congress when they get done in the next year or two. They'll want to go much further. Way outside the NCAA's comfort zone.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Ohio State AD Gene Smith was on SiriusXM this morning. It's obvious what the NCAA has in mind with this is something like what Dwayne is outlining. Maybe even more conservative. The problem for the NCAA is the fact the state of California has something far different in mind.

I think the same will hold true for Congress when they get done in the next year or two. They'll want to go much further. Way outside the NCAA's comfort zone.
    Isn't Gene Smith the one that said (with a straight face) that if the Big 10 had to pay cost of living money they'd have to drop to Division II? Or am I thinking of someone else? Makes sense that he'd be invested in keeping things pretty restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Isn't Gene Smith the one that said (with a straight face) that if the Big 10 had to pay cost of living money they'd have to drop to Division II? Or am I thinking of someone else? Makes sense that he'd be invested in keeping things pretty restrictive.
    They have to -

If they open this up to a free-for-all there are mega tax implications that could have an ever-lasting effect to college athletics -

You would essentially enter the realm of "professional entertainment" and donations to athletic foundations could become non-deductible all together

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You might be thinking of someone else.

This morning he said that Cost of Attendance should have been done 10 years ago. He also said family stipends for postseason play should have been done 15 years ago. He said that the NCAA began looking at "image and likeness" pay in 2002. He said that the biggest problem is that moving enough member schools to get significant change is like turning a battleship in rough seas.

He also said that they will have to come up with a plan to address the tax issue.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    You might be thinking of someone else.

This morning he said that Cost of Attendance should have been done 10 years ago. He also said family stipends for postseason play should have been done 15 years ago. He said that the NCAA began looking at "image and likeness" pay in 2002. He said that the biggest problem is that moving enough member schools to get significant change is like turning a battleship in rough seas.

He also said that they will have to come up with a plan to address the tax issue.
    I must be thinking of someone else then. Maybe it was Delany? The conference commissioner. NCAA figureheads often seem to get backed into hard to defend corners.

They have to -

If they open this up to a free-for-all there are mega tax implications that could have an ever-lasting effect to college athletics -

You would essentially enter the realm of "professional entertainment" and donations to athletic foundations could become non-deductible all together
    That's been EXACTLY my position on this issue. But the NCAA seems hellbent on doing it anyway. You can't half-ass do this. When you start letting athletes earn incomes, they are no longer amateurs. They become professional entertainers. That's the road this seems to be swiftly moving down.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly - I think ALL not-for-profit status should be stripped from University Athletic Foundations right now - but that's my personal opinion
    I’ve thought this for a while.

So I guess when FSU raises $20M to buy out Willie Taggart that money is donated to the Foundation and the Foundation pays the buy out? And the donors get a tax deduction. Is that how it works?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

They have to -

I think the NCAA / institution lobbyists will prevail ...

+ Reply to Thread