+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Homecoming Attendance

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Homecoming Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    I drove down to DC yesterday to meet with one of my family members who I haven’t seen for 9 years. She is here for veteran reunion tomorrow. After our hugs and family talk, she asked if I knew that LSU beat Bama. I told her that I only care about Tech (less now than before). She was surprised and said LSU is the university of Louisiana and we all should support LSU.
    She got her master from Tech by the way.
    She introduced Tech to me when I was looking for college back in 99.
    ....Can you even fathom people from Texas telling fans of TX A&M, TCU, Baylor, TX Tech, etc...that they should cheer for the Longhorns because they are "the University of Texas"?

-- Or how about the fans of Oklahoma State being told they should cheer for OU because they are "the University of Oklahoma".

-- Mississippians don't tell USM fans they should cheer for Ole Miss, because they are the University of Mississippi.

This crap only seems to flourish in Louisiana. I'd like to know how your relative thinks LSU beating Alabama positively affects LA Tech fans, whose own school is trying desperately this week to crack the Top 25 ourselves?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    This may come as a shock, but some students actually prioritize academics and need to write papers, finish projects, and study for exams the weekend before finals. I’m not making excuses. I’m just stating a fact: Homecoming should have been earlier in the quarter, not the weekend before finals.
    ......yeah, about that.....As a holder of a BA and an MBA myself --not to mention the fact that I also manage employees for one of the top high tech companies in the world-- I'm gonna call BS on that. That's just a lame excuse.

I was sincerely hoping you were going to point out something that I had possibly overlooked. But telling me that "scheduling Homecoming the week before finals a bad idea" because students will need to study, is complete and utter nonsense. They are certainly not "hire worthy" if they cannot balance the two.

I'm sure you are well intended....but its everything I can do not to laugh out loud.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I agree. I would think finals week would mean more students would stay in Ruston (access to library, etc.) for the weekend and what a great way to take a study break.

A 100 years ago when I was a student, finals week was just another week as finals were not comprehensive, primarily. Granted, there were more tests, but on the quarter system with semester hours all tests typically fell within a week or two of each other. Is it different now?
    I'm with you on this one, stay at school for the weekend and take a break Saturday and go to the game. I am sure between TV, other teams schedules, the quarter system and a weak AD, it is difficult to get the schedule right every year, not really defending the decision, just reasoning.

Stodg, My daughter is a sophomore right now and yes most are not comprehensive and those can be skipped if the student already has good (A) score in the class. That may be another reason for students NOT being there, they may only have one or two test next week or none possibly. My daughter only has one late in the week next week, so she could have taken a long weekend if she wanted if not for having to work those non-test days.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ......yeah, about that.....As a holder of a BA and an MBA myself --not to mention the fact that I also manage employees for one of the top high tech companies in the world-- I'm gonna call BS on that. That's just a lame excuse.

I was sincerely hoping you were going to point out something that I had possibly overlooked. But telling me that "scheduling Homecoming the week before finals a bad idea" because students will need to study, is complete and utter nonsense. They are certainly not "hire worthy" if they cannot balance the two.

I'm sure you are well intended....but its everything I can do not to laugh out loud.
    A Tech student on the quarter system who has done well on all their other previous test should have no problem finals week, finals are usually only important on the quarter system when you have some low grades to pull up. Not a lot of finals are comprehensive nor are some of them even mandatory if the student already has the grades, most of the time there is no new material on the final.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....Can you even fathom people from Texas telling fans of TX A&M, TCU, Baylor, TX Tech, etc...that they should cheer for the Longhorns because they are "the University of Texas"?

-- Or how about the fans of Oklahoma State being told they should cheer for OU because they are "the University of Oklahoma".

-- Mississippians don't tell USM fans they should cheer for Ole Miss, because they are the University of Mississippi.

This crap only seems to flourish in Louisiana. I'd like to know how your relative thinks LSU beating Alabama positively affects LA Tech fans, whose own school is trying desperately this week to crack the Top 25 ourselves?
    Can anyone remember back to 1987-89 time when the Louisiana legislature (I think it was still in committee) actually tried to put that on the books? There was a bill to make LSU the state university, just like the Pelican is our state bird, they really did that, they wanted LSU to officially be recognized as "The State University". Tech SGA and some other organizations sent a delegation to Baton Rouge to show their opposition to the bill and I do not think it ever made it out of committee or to the floor.

Don't be surprised if these idiots bring it up again..........

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    Can anyone remember back to 1987-89 time when the Louisiana legislature (I think it was still in committee) actually tried to put that on the books? There was a bill to make LSU the state university, just like the Pelican is our state bird, they really did that, they wanted LSU to officially be recognized as "The State University". Tech SGA and some other organizations sent a delegation to Baton Rouge to show their opposition to the bill and I do not think it ever made it out of committee or to the floor.

Don't be surprised if these idiots bring it up again..........
    I remember. I was at Tech in the 80s. This fawning over LSU was nowhere to be found. The school allegiance and pride were at an all time high. Our foes were NSU and NLU. LSU was that arrogant school down south. The fact that the legislature was not able to make it official does not mean they were not able to promote and funnel funds and resources to the Baton Rouge school. Maybe I am off here, but South Louisiana generally looks at North La. as "yankees" and Texas/Arkansas related. I want to tell these North Louisiana folks who worship LSU to have some local pride and stop embarrassing themselves.

Present day, a friend who also graduated in the 80s went to visit her Tech freshman son yesterday in Ruston before the game. He is a pledge in one of the frats. The plan the boys had was to skip the Tech game and congregate in one of their houses and watch LSU. This is unacceptable.

You have to ask "why"? Is it that our admin has sucked all the fun out of game day experience @ Tech? Is it the dominance of social media and the collectivism/want to belong mentality? This is something that would warrant a "task force" of admin/athletics/students to explore "how can we get more students to engage on game day?"

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

The corndoggers and split-loyalty people say, "what's the harm? we can support both schools..." and my personal fav, "we support ALLL state schools" --- we've all heard the excuses, the bovine dung, if you will.

Here's why it MATTERS:

1. LSU is NOT a "football team". LSU is a public, state-supported university. Just like TECH. 95% of the cornies don't understand that...or it's impact.
    2. The POLITICS of this state (and EVERY state) play to public opinion. That's just the way it is. YES, LSU is a university...not a football team...BUT if anyone were to suggest a change to the state's higher ed structure, that would in ANYWAY create more competition with LSU, EVEN IF IT MEANS GOOD THINGS FOR TECH...you lose popular support, because, well "geaux tahgahs"

My philosophy is pretty simple...MY FAMILY MATTERS. MY FANDOM MATTERS. I don't cheat on my wife. I don't cheat on my school.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    The corndoggers and split-loyalty people say, "what's the harm? we can support both schools..." and my personal fav, "we support ALLL state schools" --- we've all heard the excuses, the bovine dung, if you will.

Here's why it MATTERS:

1. LSU is NOT a "football team". LSU is a public, state-supported university. Just like TECH. 95% of the cornies don't understand that...or it's impact.
    2. The POLITICS of this state (and EVERY state) play to public opinion. That's just the way it is. YES, LSU is a university...not a football team...BUT if anyone were to suggest a change to the state's higher ed structure, that would in ANYWAY create more competition with LSU, EVEN IF IT MEANS GOOD THINGS FOR TECH...you lose popular support, because, well "geaux tahgahs"

My philosophy is pretty simple...MY FAMILY MATTERS. MY FANDOM MATTERS. I don't cheat on my wife. I don't cheat on my school.
    Best take I've ever heard on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post

Here's why it MATTERS:

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

But Chuck. You can pick up a lot of business by playing the LSU card...

Amazing how many think that makes it okay.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dorm Fridge View Post
    Graduated from both schools.
    I hold a four year degree from the LSU system also, but I could care less about them...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dorm Fridge View Post

I love Tech and LSU. Graduated from both schools.

What a great day of football.
    I graduated from both too, but love one and DETEST one. I guess you're a better guy than I am.

I am thankful my LSU grad degree let's me give to ltac, get season tickets and drive to Ruston 30-35 times a year for football, mbb, wbb, soon baseball too. Several times in my two falls in BR I'd skip LSU home games to drive to Ruston, Lafayette, Lake Charles for Tech games. I do understand anyone who supports their school, even tiger grads.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

[QUOTE=HogDawg;1746243]....Can you even fathom people from Texas telling fans of TX A&M, TCU, Baylor, TX Tech, etc...that they should cheer for the Longhorns because they are "the University of Texas"?

This crap only seems to flourish in Louisiana. I'd like to know how your relative thinks LSU beating Alabama positively affects LA Tech fans, whose own school is trying desperately this week to crack the Top 25 ourselves?[/QUOTE

You forget Arkansas. We are not the only ones! God Bless Tech!

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I don’t think its as bad in Arkansas. It’s definitely present, though.

It’s a shame fanbases follow state borders so much. South Arkansans may be even more open to us if you overlooked that state loyalty type of mindset.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It's as bad in Arkansas.

At one time we had a great pipeline to Arkansas. We lost it when Murphy Oil presented their brilliant plan to keep their people home.

+ Reply to Thread