+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: CBS/Palm projects us in...

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: CBS/Palm projects us in...

I think I (and many others) are stating it wrong when we say a P5 opponent is more important to the casual fan. It is actually the casual "observer" that makes it important. Bowl games are watched by many people that don't watch much football at all during a season. Some have a team they say they cheer for, but don't follow football. Then, of course, there are just the ones that see the scores and opponents on social media. These people are important, because it ALWAYS increases name recognition. When someone sees Louisiana Tech fans posting about playing an Appalachian State or a ULL, there is absolutely nothing that stands out about that. There are even some Tech alumni and families of alumni that equate Tech to those teams by association when they see the names together in the post season. It does nothing to increase our name value. However; when they see Tech vs. North Carolina/Texas Tech/Miami/Florida State, that is the association built in their mind. I know not everyone agrees with this, but beating a 10 win G5 (especially a MAC or Belt team) is not near as impressive to many people as beating a 6 or 7 win P5 team. That is just the way it is....

I want to play a P5 - no matter what bowl. Preferably one that is drivable for most Tech fans - that means the Southern states. I HATE the Indy Bowl, but if it is a choice of playing a P5 there vs. playing the belt champion in N.O., it is hands down better nationally. New Orleans is, of course, the best city to go to a bowl, but the NO Bowl is seen as a warm up bowl for the big boys and the Sugar Bowl. LA Laff fans can bring a crowd, but it is still seen as the minors. The Indy Bowl is horrible in comparison, but you put a Miami or Florida State there and it is exponentially better to play there against one of those teams. The military schools are an exception to the P5 rule due to name recognition - so, that would be a game that would be a good option, as well.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I think I (and many others) are stating it wrong when we say a P5 opponent is more important to the casual fan. It is actually the casual "observer" that makes it important. Bowl games are watched by many people that don't watch much football at all during a season. Some have a team they say they cheer for, but don't follow football. Then, of course, there are just the ones that see the scores and opponents on social media. These people are important, because it ALWAYS increases name recognition. When someone sees Louisiana Tech fans posting about playing an Appalachian State or a ULL, there is absolutely nothing that stands out about that. There are even some Tech alumni and families of alumni that equate Tech to those teams by association when they see the names together in the post season. It does nothing to increase our name value. However; when they see Tech vs. North Carolina/Texas Tech/Miami/Florida State, that is the association built in their mind. I know not everyone agrees with this, but beating a 10 win G5 (especially a MAC or Belt team) is not near as impressive to many people as beating a 6 or 7 win P5 team. That is just the way it is....

I want to play a P5 - no matter what bowl. Preferably one that is drivable for most Tech fans - that means the Southern states. I HATE the Indy Bowl, but if it is a choice of playing a P5 there vs. playing the belt champion in N.O., it is hands down better nationally. New Orleans is, of course, the best city to go to a bowl, but the NO Bowl is seen as a warm up bowl for the big boys and the Sugar Bowl. LA Laff fans can bring a crowd, but it is still seen as the minors. The Indy Bowl is horrible in comparison, but you put a Miami or Florida State there and it is exponentially better to play there against one of those teams. The military schools are an exception to the P5 rule due to name recognition - so, that would be a game that would be a good option, as well.
    And what if we lose to a 6-6 FSU? What does the casual observer think then?

We beat Illinois in, what, 2014. Did that improve Tech name recognition?

Normally I would agree that playing a P5 would be better. But when I look at the two options - # 21 App St. that beat NC and SC, vs FSU, which is a dumpster fire, I’ll take playing # 21 team. Obviously they have achieved some name recognition or they would not be ranked that high. If they beat ULL they could be higher.

And, before anyone disses their two P5 wins, NC was a two point conversion away from beating Clemson, SC beat UGA.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    They don't think much of it. The casual observer knows who FSU is and they think App St. is still in Div I-AA.

Like I said, I don't think it REALLY matters all that much. Personally, I think we stand a better shot at beating a team like FSU or Miami than a top G5. But, that probably doesn't matter all that much either...just more fun for me.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I can offer some anecdotal evidence of personal experience that our win over Illinois (of the vaunted Big 10) garnered more recognition for Tech than any other of our bowl wins. Navy would be second on that list as they were ranked and it was such an entertaining game.

After the Dallas bowl I got more congrats and comments from those I know, including my die-hard Kansas State in-laws who made it a point to call me after the game. Local NSU/LSU types made it a point to rub it in that we lost to NSU earlier that year but offered what appeared to be sincere congrats after we beat Illinois. "That was an impressive win," they said. UL-Xers I know also offered congrats. And any who watched the Navy bowl game enjoyed it so much I also got lots of comments.

After we bested Belch champ Arkie State, I mostly heard nothing, or grumblings, since to many it was an "Oh dern! I guess Tech really is better than the Belch."

Personally, I think beating a P5, especially a name-recognition school like a Florida State, would garner the most positive attention than beating Appy State. Many "casual" CFB fan just thinks Appy State is waaay-over-rated and Tech beating them will just be proof of that.

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Oh...what about losing the bowl game? Well, no matter who we play losing will have dire consequences to the few hundred "fence-sitting" fans who still harbor some interest in Tech thanks to the Holtz/Smith/TMAC chit show of the past three years. So, no, we can't afford to lose the bowl game.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure any opponent in any bowl matters much since it's not NY6, which we pissed away voluntarily, AGAIN. To me, the question of whether one bowl or another is "better" for this particular season is not that relevant.

In 10 years, FSU will still have name power. App might not. No one will care that we beat App one time, but FSU might garner something.

To me the question is, do we stand more to lose by losing to a G5 than we do by beating a P5?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    To me the question is, do we stand more to lose by losing to a G5 than we do by beating a P5?
    Bingo.

That said, if the grade bug doesn't hit us too hard, I think we're a tough draw for just about anybody being mentioned for the bowls we're discussing.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post

We beat Illinois in, what, 2014. Did that improve Tech name recognition?

Normally I would agree that playing a P5 would be better. But when I look at the two options - # 21 App St. that beat NC and SC, vs FSU, which is a dumpster fire, I’ll take playing # 21 team. Obviously they have achieved some name recognition or they would not be ranked that high. If they beat ULL they could be higher.

And, before anyone disses their two P5 wins, NC was a two point conversion away from beating Clemson, SC beat UGA.
    Losing to FSU or Miami would be better than beating Appy State by 30 for name recognition nationally. That is how marketing works - it is the association.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Big 12 looks to be a team or two light with only 6 eligible. TCU, West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Kansas have already packed it in for the season.
    Great point. I hadn't caught the fact that TX Tech isn't even bowl eligible. LOL! But it still doesn't change the fact that the very best bowl outcome for LA Tech would be vs a Big 12 opponent playing somewhere in Texas. But, with only 6 bowl eligible Big 12 teams this year, that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Varsity Bulldog talonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to beholdtalonofdeath is a splendid one to behold

Nobody wants to play App State.
    They would steamroll most of CDOA.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by talonofdeath View Post
    Nobody wants to play App State.
    They would steamroll most of CDOA.
    I don't believe that at all. And anybody who does is just being foolish. I watched Appy St lose to Georgia Southern (7-5) in Week 10, AT HOME 24-21, and it really wasn't that close.

Overrated.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I don't believe that at all. And anybody who does is just being foolish. I watched Appy St lose to Georgia Southern (7-5) in Week 10, AT HOME 24-21, and it really wasn't that close.

Overrated.
    That was their WTF game. Wouldn't judge their season on that game.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Losing to FSU or Miami would be better than beating Appy State by 30 for name recognition nationally. That is how marketing works - it is the association.
    Agreed. We want to be associated with the P5s in order to interest from casual football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    That was their WTF game. Wouldn't judge their season on that game.
    Top 25 rated G5 teams can't have "WTF" games.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Top 25 rated G5 teams can't have "WTF" games.
    Theoretically. I guess the wins over South Carolina and North Carolina made up for the loss to Georgia Southern in the voter's minds.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Theoretically. I guess the wins over South Carolina and North Carolina made up for the loss to Georgia Southern in the voter's minds.
    Maybe, but this perspective calls for a comprehensive view of a broad range of data, critical thinking, and a willingness to see things as others might.

+ Reply to Thread