+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CBS/Palm projects us in...

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Re: CBS/Palm projects us in...

Just say no to the Indy Bowl

Big Dog LongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the rough LongtimeDawgfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    First, please, let's not join the chorus of belittling G5 programs just because they happened to not be part of the chosen ones. Appy State has a good team and a very, very, fine program...located in little ole Boone, North Carolina. Playing them this year, as a ranked opponent, would be a good matchup, a real challenge for Tech. And! the N.O. Bowl rocks! They do a great job of putting on a spectacular event, before and after the game. And...I just love the Dome. Awesome venue, with plenty of great memories for many of us.
    It's also true Shreveport (and Indy Stadium) is a dump, with an azz-clown for mayor. But getting a P5 opponent...Florida State?...would make it worth it. Hold your nose and pack Indy, if that happens.
    Have you ever been to Boone, NC?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I disagree. Plus, a LOSS to the belt hurts MUCH more than a loss to a P5.

Not to mention, a P5 win ALWAYS means more to the casual fan than any G5 win.
    So true.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I will cheer the Dogs on no matter the opponent, but it is SO much easier to get casual fans interested in a P5 opponent. It just reaches more people and sounds more impressive for marketing our name, than a G5 - especially a belt team.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Funny that all these Holtz groupies are worried about a loss to a Sunbelt team. They are our peers, but we own them.

Algiers > Shreveport

Pay the man!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeDawgfan View Post
    Yes, once, and only briefly. Happen to be on a Saturday, gameday for them. The whole town turned out to tailgate. Driving along the main drag I thought there was to be a parade, and maybe there was later, because folks were lining the street, little tailgates up and down the street in the parking lots of businesses. We stopped at a McDonald's earlier that morning and the place was packed with Appy State fans all decked out in their garb. Spoke to a fellow there with his family, his kids sporting the colors. Very nice, humble fellow. I think it was their first year in the Belch but that fellow said they had bigger aspirations, like joining CUSA. When I told him I was a Louisiana Tech fan he was very, very complimentary of us.

We had plans to spend more time there, but it appeared Boone was shut down for the game. Learned later Appy State lost that day, to Georgia Southern, I think it was. But the support I saw by their fanbase was impressive.

You obviously have an opinion of Boone, you are itching to share. So...

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeDawgfan View Post
    I have never been there for a football game or on a gameday. But have vacationed there. An absolutely beautiful place in a great part of the country.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Funny that all these Holtz groupies are worried about a loss to a Sunbelt team. They are our peers, but we own them.

Algiers > Shreveport

Pay the man!
    A loss is not the problem. Win or lose, it does nothing to up our name brand. THAT is the issue!

Big Dog LongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the roughLongtimeDawgfan is a jewel in the rough LongtimeDawgfan's Avatar

Yes, once, and only briefly. Happen to be on a Saturday, gameday for them. The whole town turned out to tailgate. Driving along the main drag I thought there was to be a parade, and maybe there was later, because folks were lining the street, little tailgates up and down the street in the parking lots of businesses. We stopped at a McDonald's earlier that morning and the place was packed with Appy State fans all decked out in their garb. Spoke to a fellow there with his family, his kids sporting the colors. Very nice, humble fellow. I think it was their first year in the Belch but that fellow said they had bigger aspirations, like joining CUSA. When I told him I was a Louisiana Tech fan he was very, very complimentary of us.

You obviously have an opinion of Boone, you are itching to share. So...
    Not so much of an opinion of Boone but more of the area around Boone, the "High Country" of WNC. Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, Grandfather Mountain, Linnville Falls, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc... As Bulldog Tom said, it's a beautiful area of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I have never been there for a football game or on a gameday. But have vacationed there. An absolutely beautiful place in a great part of the country.
    Yes it is. My wife and I have vacationed there for the last 5 years. We liked it so much that we decided to buy a condo on top of Beech Mountain last year. Beech Mountain is the highest incorporated city east of the Rockies at 5500 feet. It never gets above 80 degrees in the summer. It's the perfect place to go to get out of the Louisiana heat.
    Where did you stay when you went up there?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    A loss is not the problem. Win or lose, it does nothing to up our name brand. THAT is the issue!
    The players we are going after are being recruited by Sunbelt teams. We need those occasional victories to put them in their place. Especially since we have chosen not to participate in the pay to play stipend and some of our peers have. THAT is the issue!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

We had plans to spend more time there, but it appeared Boone was shut down for the game. Learned later Appy State lost that day, to Georgia Southern, I think it was. But the support I saw by their fanbase was impressive.
    Getting that twitch again ...

I've stated before that Appy should be one of Tech's benchmarks for attendance. Of 130 FBS programs, only seven are G5s not located in a metro area: Tech, Appy St, Wyoming, Troy, Ohio, Ga Southern, & Cen Mich.

Some important qualifiers, though -- Appy has a significantly higher student population than Tech, and Boone has a significantly higher per capita income (& corresponding lower poverty rate) than Ruston

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Just say no to the Indy Bowl
    I'm fine with a trip to the Indy Bowl, as long as we get a quality, P5 opponent. For example, playing Florida St would be fantastic. Sure, it a "down season" for the 'Noles, but they are still a big name opponent with a bowl quality team. Let's not forget how some LA Tech fans criticized our 2001 H-Bolw matchup with Clemson fbecause Clemson was only 6-6. Puleeeze, Clemson spanked us like children. LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Puleeeze, Clemson spanked us like children. LOL!!
    We might have played better if our several of our key players had gotten some rest the night before the game.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Getting that twitch again ...

I've stated before that Appy should be one of Tech's benchmarks for attendance. Of 130 FBS programs, only seven are G5s not located in a metro area: Tech, Appy St, Wyoming, Troy, Ohio, Ga Southern, & Cen Mich.
    Just curious how are you defining a "metro area"? Are you defining Hattiesburg, MS (45K), Jonesboro, AR (67K), Monroe, LA (48K), Huntington, WV, (49K), Bowling Green, KY (58K), etc....as Metro areas?

+ Reply to Thread