+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CUSA underdogs going into bowls

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar

Re: CUSA underdogs going into bowls

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    My "never" is pretty solid. We need to at least double our budget to be in contention for the AAC.
    I'm not sure athletic budget is a good way to compare athletic programs. La Tech was 5th among the most successful teams per dollar as of 2016. Boise State was 1st. It doesn't take as much money to operate a program out of Ruston, Louisiana as it does Tampa, Florida or Houston, Texas.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Agree, but we play on Thursday
    LOL. It was 2 hours later and I was doing other things when I thought "I put the wrong day on that post". Getting older is fun, isn't it?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I met a guy on Sunday who's been a huge Bama fan for decades. Without any knowledge of who my school is, or who we're playing in a bowl game, he said the one team he still hates the most till this day is Miami. He said they play dirty, their mean and he can't wait until Saban's Alabama plays Miami again. I swear this conversation went down just like THIS!

So, that's when I stepped up and told him who my school is and the fact that we play Miami in a Bowl game. I could tell he was a little shocked. First, he new all about LA Tech beating Bama 2 decades ago, and he said he was "very jealous" that we get to play Miami and Bama doesn't.

For the record, this guy had no idea what Miami's 2019 record was and didn't care. But he convinced me that there's a lot of Miami "haters" still out there, and they will be tuning in to watch this game. This conversation also confirmed my theory that LA Tech is MUCH better off playing a 6-6 Miami in the Indy Bowl vs playing a nationally ranked Appalachian State team. The Indy Bowl should get some very good TV ratings considering the opponent is Miami.

I'm convinced that LA Tech will be America's favorite team for about 3 hours Thursday afternoon. We just need to take advantage of it.
    Great story and you are spot on! If we would have drawn Appalachian State, I would be posting about the bowl game, but not the opponent on social media. In fact, hardly anyone knows there is a New Orleans Bowl either. They know the Sugar Bowl. Anyway, I am able to post away about playing Miami and social media is filled with Louisiana Tech vs. Miami right now. It is from people that are not just Tech people. Most of my friends on social media are Austin, Dallas, and Houston. ALL of them know about our game. The Indy Bowl is going to get a boost in tv watchers for sure. This is a big name team that a LOT of people hate. We will have a ton of casual fans watching. Now, we have to win it!!!!!!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
    I'm not sure athletic budget is a good way to compare athletic programs. La Tech was 5th among the most successful teams per dollar as of 2016. Boise State was 1st. It doesn't take as much money to operate a program out of Ruston, Louisiana as it does Tampa, Florida or Houston, Texas.
    I didn't say it was a good way to compare. It is one of the measuring sticks used. Our motto has always been "we do more with less". Most of us know we can and should do even more with what we do have.

Imagine how many more games we could win if we got an indoor practice facility and better women's facilities.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Great story and you are spot on! If we would have drawn Appalachian State, I would be posting about the bowl game, but not the opponent on social media. In fact, hardly anyone knows there is a New Orleans Bowl either. They know the Sugar Bowl. Anyway, I am able to post away about playing Miami and social media is filled with Louisiana Tech vs. Miami right now. It is from people that are not just Tech people. Most of my friends on social media are Austin, Dallas, and Houston. ALL of them know about our game. The Indy Bowl is going to get a boost in tv watchers for sure. This is a big name team that a LOT of people hate. We will have a ton of casual fans watching. Now, we have to win it!!!!!!
    Agreed! On top of the attention we will get, looking at Canes forum, they are just not happy at all with going to Shreveport, Manny, the state of the U.

I really think this has the makings of an instant classic. It's not too late to get suit up Amik.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Exactly. It is very important that Skip Holtz have this team READY, and to show up ON TIME tomorrow. Don't get 21 points down early, and then have to claw you way back in it. Come out of the locker room hitting early and often!

And for Goodness sake....Be PRE#PARED for Cheap Shots, dirty hits and NASTY PLAY! This is the University of Miami Hurricanes we're talking about, not Mother Teresa's angel sisters.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Given his recent track record in bowls, I give Holtz the benefit of the doubt in preparation.

If Miami "shows up" either in total, or even just as individuals, it will be a tough afternoon. I'm counting on them not showing up. Dawgs bring our "A" game, Miami no better than their "B" game, and we'll find a way to pull this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Exactly. It is very important that Skip Holtz have this team READY, and to show up ON TIME tomorrow. Don't get 21 points down early, and then have to claw you way back in it. Come out of the locker room hitting early and often!

And for Goodness sake....Be PRE#PARED for Cheap Shots, dirty hits and NASTY PLAY! This is the University of Miami Hurricanes we're talking about, not Mother Teresa's angel sisters.
    AMEN! This game will be a big boost or an embarrassment. We have to go big or suffer the lack of attention for a year (at least). Time to Beat the Dirty Canes!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

It's Gameday! get your blue on. Head out to Indy and cheer on the Dawgs!

What uniform are we wearing today? Aren't we the home team?

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

Well CUSA is in a position to go 500 in the bowls if WKU wins against WMU (as predicted) and USM beats Tulane against expectations. I could see USM beating Tulane, former CUSA rival.

If we achieved it, it would be a break even bowl season for us, after having the best post-season record the year before.

CUSA's biggest problem is that its basement are among the worst playing. Also, CUSA typically doesn't beat ranked P5 teams, like if we had beaten Texas, which seams more plausible after beating Miami.

Glad the Toppers managed to pull it out, but...

admit it! That was some very bad football and some of the goofiest coaching decisions/displays you've seen in a long time. It was like the two staffs were vying to outdo the other in losing the game. Of course WMU had back to back "too many men on the field" plays to end the game. And of course WMU's QB would trip over himself, instead of easily walking in with the game-winning TD. Inept!

Go Mustard Buzzards! Getting to 4-4 this bowl season would be an accomplishment, after where we were.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Glad the Toppers managed to pull it out, but...

admit it! That was some very bad football and some of the goofiest coaching decisions/displays you've seen in a long time. It was like the two staffs were vying to outdo the other in losing the game. Of course WMU had back to back "too many men on the field" plays to end the game. And of course WMU's QB would trip over himself, instead of easily walking in with the game-winning TD. Inept!

Go Mustard Buzzards! Getting to 4-4 this bowl season would be an accomplishment, after where we were.
    After the QB fell, why didn’t they let more time run off and just attempt a field goal?? ESPN’s field display showed it was within FG range.

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    After the QB fell, why didn’t they let more time run off and just attempt a field goal?? ESPN’s field display showed it was within FG range.
    At the time my thought was he felt he had a better chance for a first down as opposed to a field goal against a pretty good breeze. JMO

Ohio beat Nevada in the Spuds Bowl, so the MAC is challenging CUSA for 2nd to last in the conference power rating. Now, given the MAC is just barely edging out CUSA in the bowls...so far...but it ain't over, but the Buzzards have to win today! Still, can a marginally better bowl record lift the MAC over CUSA for the year after their lousy regular season results? Subject to debate.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Ohio beat Nevada in the Spuds Bowl, so the MAC is challenging CUSA for 2nd to last in the conference power rating. Now, given the MAC is just barely edging out CUSA in the bowls...so far...but it ain't over, but the Buzzards have to win today! Still, can a marginally better bowl record lift the MAC over CUSA for the year after their lousy regular season results? Subject to debate.
    Who cares?

+ Reply to Thread