+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that our football season has ended.. looking forward at next year.. question..

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Re: Now that our football season has ended.. looking forward at next year.. questio

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    5 home games with $350,000 Prairie View to receive top billing.

Will the 8:00AM rule remain in effect or will tailgating continue to suffer from it as it has for the past several years?

Announced crowds have often been more than actual, but nothing like what our our AD has announced over the past two years. With him in charge I don't expect 6 straight to matter any more than 4 straight or 5 straight mattered. It's time for a change in the whole game day structure.

1. Get rid of the stupid 8:00AM rule.

2. Eliminate the 115 degree parking lot cluster of corporate tents that nobody visits.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It wasn't broken, but now it is.
    I agree. Tailgating wasn’t broken. Between the area around the TAC and hideaway park...there’s sooo much green space around JAS that tailgating should be easy. Tailgating on concrete < tailgating on grass.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Re: Now that our football season has ended.. looking forward at next year.. questio

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Looking at his offers, academics shouldn't be a problem. When I think about a true freshman as QB1 at the start of a season, I think about Nick Isham and how things didn't exactly work out for him. Does anyone know if Head might be an early enrollee who will be at Tech for Spring practice?

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

It’s impossible to say who the #1 QB will be. The one certainty is that he’ll have to be better than the coaching he gets if he hopes to be successful. Holtz has to coach him down for at least 2 full years.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    I agree. Tailgating wasn’t broken. Between the area around the TAC and hideaway park...there’s sooo much green space around JAS that tailgating should be easy. Tailgating on concrete < tailgating on grass.
    Tech gamedays were getting too fun, and TMac's handlers in BR told him to take it down a notch.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post

Eliminate the 115 degree parking lot cluster of corporate tents that nobody visits.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It wasn't broken, but now it is.
    I just never understood why they did this. I stopped making the drive when I realized this was gong to be how it was going forward.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing about TECH game day was how easy it was to come and tailgate, join the festivities, and just the general ease of getting there, parking, seating, and other aspects of the day just being easier. When I say easier, I am comparing us to say LSU and some other programs here in the south, things were actually relatively easy, AFFORDABLE, and FUN until TMac came along. One comment you could always get from your guest, if they were alum from another school, was how easy and stress-less the game day experience was at TECH. When my guest brought their kids and they got to go down on the field along with my kids, they could not believe how fun it was for their children, an experience they got nowhere else. Their kids got to get Pre-fame autographs from many or our soon to be NFL players, you just cannot do that everywhere,every game. These were all Pre-TMac days.

TMac has taken away a lot of that away and has given us all many more reasons to just turn on the TV now on game days. I am not sure if he is a Shill or just an idiot, it doesn't matter, the results are clear and obvious, why are the Prez, big donors, and Ruston Merchants so blind?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s just the admin and big money folks. The majority of us peons and local business owners know how bad this is killing our atmosphere, attendance, and local business on game weekends.

We fought for a long time to get local shops to stay open longer on game days and some of them started doing that. Then our paid help decided to make it harder to come to a game here.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    The best thing about TECH game day was how easy it was to come and tailgate, join the festivities, and just the general ease of getting there, parking, seating, and other aspects of the day just being easier. When I say easier, I am comparing us to say LSU and some other programs here in the south, things were actually relatively easy, AFFORDABLE, and FUN until TMac came along. One comment you could always get from your guest, if they were alum from another school, was how easy and stress-less the game day experience was at TECH. When my guest brought their kids and they got to go down on the field along with my kids, they could not believe how fun it was for their children, an experience they got nowhere else. Their kids got to get Pre-fame autographs from many or our soon to be NFL players, you just cannot do that everywhere,every game. These were all Pre-TMac days.

TMac has taken away a lot of that away and has given us all many more reasons to just turn on the TV now on game days. I am not sure if he is a Shill or just an idiot, it doesn't matter, the results are clear and obvious, why are the Prez, big donors, and Ruston Merchants so blind?
    At those big schools with big money, tailgating is complicated. That's not a bad thing by itself, but it does generate a different atmosphere and accessibility.

Tech had a perfect niche of small-town comradery to be filled. We don't need the infrastructure of those cash-flush places, because we had plenty of emergent order.

Or we did, anyway.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Whatever the reason(s) may be, we can agree the atmosphere at games has lost some of its luster. Our crowd was very quiet at the Indy Bowl too. Very few fans doing the "Move the Chains!" chant. Only the silly wave generated some interest. It's a sign of the times, true. Heck, even the Sugar Bowl was not sold out last night. That is unthinkable! And with the participants in the game, both fanbases within driving distance and from major conferences....wow! Back in the day a ticket to the Sugar Bowl was hard to come by.

Clearly the landscape has, and is, changing as it affects gameday experience and motivating fans to make the effort to attend. Just as clearly anyone with an ounce of marketing sense should see that whatever they have been doing recently is NOT working. Do something different. In our case, the gameday experience grew for a period of time, some years back. Then it hit a plateau and began backing up. What changed? Go back to doing whatever it was prior to the plateau years.

I know at least one poster has a theory on this...

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I'll be honest -

I don't like to tailgate anymore, alot of it has to do with the restrictions

I'm one of those who now likes to show up about an hour before the game, go to the game - hopefully enjoy it and then make the 35 minute drive home

If it's an afternoon game - we go eat at Flying Burger, Roma's, Log Cabin, Ponchatlas or some other place...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Whatever the reason(s) may be, we can agree the atmosphere at games has lost some of its luster. Our crowd was very quiet at the Indy Bowl too. Very few fans doing the "Move the Chains!" chant. Only the silly wave generated some interest. It's a sign of the times, true. Heck, even the Sugar Bowl was not sold out last night. That is unthinkable! And with the participants in the game, both fanbases within driving distance and from major conferences....wow! Back in the day a ticket to the Sugar Bowl was hard to come by.

Clearly the landscape has, and is, changing as it affects gameday experience and motivating fans to make the effort to attend. Just as clearly anyone with an ounce of marketing sense should see that whatever they have been doing recently is NOT working. Do something different. In our case, the gameday experience grew for a period of time, some years back. Then it hit a plateau and began backing up. What changed? Go back to doing whatever it was prior to the plateau years.

I know at least one poster has a theory on this...
    That's my question. What do some of our vocal critics of tailgating and T-Mac want him to do? I'm not saying you guys don't have justifiable complaints.....I just don't know what they all are. What do you guys --PD, BD, Champ967, tm05, TheEarmada, DNW, and others-- want T-Mac to do? If you were the AD, what would you do to fix it? How would you take it back to 2012 or "Pre-Mac" standards?

LA Tech just won 10 games for the first time in 35 years. LA Tech is literally better than any other school in the nation at winning bowl games...we're the only school to win the last 6 straight. So our attendance and tailgating should be busting at the seams. And yet, I agree with D80, it was far too quiet in Independence Stadium last week.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    That's my question. What do some of our vocal critics of tailgating and T-Mac want him to do? I'm not saying you guys don't have justifiable complaints.....I just don't know what they all are. What do you guys --PD, BD, Champ967, tm05, TheEarmada, DNW, and others-- want T-Mac to do? If you were the AD, what would you do to fix it? How would you take it back to 2012 or "Pre-Mac" standards?
    Yes -

If I were made AD tomorrow - I would roll the tailgate program back to where it was under Bruce - that's one thing he got right...

ALOT of long-time tailgaters have called it quits due to stupid restrictions

I would also give Hide-away Park back to the students and pump $$$$ into getting them back into the stands - and I would shield them from un-due ATF harassment -

Tailgating is broke to the point of almost being destroyed on campus
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

For starters, let people come in and set up when they want. The day before, the morning of, or an hour before if that’s what they want. No charge for setting up a tent around the TAC. Use the intramural field as “Tailgate Alley” and allow parking to be used for, uh, parking. Is Hideaway now off limits or do students not want to use it because of other factors?

As far as game day. More band, less board. Creative prizes for students given out during final Time Out, TV timeout of the game. And, even though I don’t drink and don’t see the point, beer inside the stadium. At least then maybe a few people who usually sit outside under their tent and drink the whole time will come inside the stadium.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

LA Tech just won 10 games for the first time in 35 years. LA Tech is literally better than any other school in the nation at winning bowl games...we're the only school to win the last 6 straight. So our attendance and tailgating should be busting at the seams. And yet, I agree with D80, it was far too quiet in Independence Stadium last week.
    Personally, I think the culprit has been Skip Holtz's "style of play" that's keeping the fans away. I don't think it has anything to do with "tailgating" or "parking" or any of that stuff. Fans quit coming because we run a boring offense, and there hasn't been any excitement. That's my take. No one who attended the Indy Bowl can tell me they were't bored to tears many times during that game. That's why the crowd was so quiet.

People don't want to waste their time or money just to be bored. When Sonny Dykes was here running his wide open offense, NOBODY was bored. Oh, he had his coaching critics and his defense couldn't stop a door, but NOBODY was bored.

I think the last exciting season we had was in 2016. We still ran a wide open offense with Ryan Higgins, and future NFL players Boston Scott, Trent Taylor & Carlos Henderson. Our defense was led by future NFL greats Xavier Woods and Jaylon Ferguson. And NOBODY was bored. Tailgating was still strong and attendance was peaking. Even our bowl game win over Navy that year was listed as one of the most exciting Bowl games of the year.

But all that began to change when "you know who" became QB1 in 2017. And the excitement around Tech football has been in a steady decline ever since. It's just a fact. People just don't like our style of play with J'Mar running the offense. I'm sure all of you can remember some games in the last couple of years that you thought were boring? We actually saw people post about it here on BB&B. Well HELLO problem! The good news is, with him moving on, maybe we can get some of those fans back now.

I agree that our on field product is a huge problem. If you are going to be boring on offense, you better be exciting on defense like 2014. However, the way our coach conducts his team should have no affect on how our admin runs game day. Just because the coach is boring doesn’t mean everything else has to be. We could fix the game day stuff and still struggle to put butts in the seats, but at least something would be done right.

+ Reply to Thread