+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SGA sends out Student Athletic Fee Survey to current student body

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: SGA sends out Student Athletic Fee Survey to current student body

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    LA Tech needs to quit admitting students simply because they fog up a mirror. Make 'em want it, or give their spot to someone else who does, even if you have to make a compromise on GPA, class rank, etc....
    I was tracking with you right up to this point.

Compromising our selection standards is a step too far, imho.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I have known several out of staters who attended 1-2 sporting events in their 4 years and only because I made them go. Got their engineering degrees and left and haven’t attending anything or donated a dollar since. We probably have 500-1000 students each year that are engaged in more than just class work at Tech. That’s just my opinion from the optics of this situation.
    I think there's a social aspect to their college education that's not being met. Why should LA Tech invest time, energy and money in educating "visitors" who are going to do nothing more than commute, get a degree and leave, never to be heard from again? Perhaps new Tech students should be required to attend X number of football, basketball and baseball games each year as part of an extracurricular activity requirement? Grade'em on that just like you do everything else. Attendance is mandatory. And it starts off in the fall with LA Tech "Yell Practice", just like they do at TX A&M. This type of student involvement could go a long way in bridging the gap between the university and its students. And just remember, what we're doing now isn't working.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Our admission standards don’t need to be lowered any from a GPA, class rank, or standardized test score standpoint.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I was tracking with you right up to this point.

Compromising our selection standards is a step too far, imho.
    I expected more levity from you on this topic. I didn't realize you were a grades bigot? I'm not talking about admitting students who obviously don't have the background to perform at the college level. Rather, instead of admitting straight A students who contribute nothing to the university, admit the A- and B students instead. What's wrong with that? No one is going to confuse LA Tech with Harvard anyway. Are we better off choosing the straight A student who ends up being an LSU fan for life? Or, are we better off choosing the "B" student who will give back to LA Tech for life, send his kids to Tech, etc...??

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a social aspect to their college education that's not being met. Why should LA Tech invest time, energy and money in educating "visitors" who are going to do nothing more than commute, get a degree and leave, never to be heard form again? Perhaps new Tech students should be required to attend X number of football, basketball and baseball games each year as part of an extracurricular activity requirement? Grade'em on that just like you do everything else. Attendance is mandatory. And it starts off in the fall with LA Tech "Yell Practice", just like they do at TX A&M. This type of student involvement could go a long way in bridging the gap between the university and its students. And just remember, what we're doing now ain't working.
    Not to take this in a religious direction, but the BCM is doing something right. They have large scale events that are heavily attended. Weekly events which are fairly heavily attended, and groups that go to many of our games. The involvement of those students usually does extend beyond just BCM events.

I started school at another university. Fraternity pledges for my organization were required to attend every home game for football and basketball. I remember even attending many conference baseball games. After that freshman year, many developed a love for the sports teams in spite of it being forced on them to start. We also weren’t allowed to leave early. Required to be there from Anthem to Alma Mater.

I agree. Our admission standards don’t need to be lowered any from a GPA, class rank, or standardized test score standpoint.
    Then, welcome to your new day. No more complaining about 10K football attendance and 1K "crowds" at basketball games. This is your new world that you cultivated.

Not to take this in a religious direction, but the BCM is doing something right. They have large scale events that are heavily attended. Weekly events which are fairly heavily attended, and groups that go to many of our games. The involvement of those students usually does extend beyond just BCM events.

I started school at another university. Fraternity pledges for my organization were required to attend every home game for football and basketball. I remember even attending many conference baseball games. After that freshman year, many developed a love for the sports teams in spite of it being forced on them to start. We also weren’t allowed to leave early. Required to be there from Anthem to Alma Mater.
    Great stuff. My freshman year, my fraternity at Tech used to make us attend every football game, and wear a suit to the game. While I thought the suit was a little too much, fact is, the women loved it. (But that's another story. LOL!) But, just as you developed a love for the sports teams, so did we.

Then, welcome to your new day. No more complaining about 10K football attendance and 1K "crowds" at basketball games. This is your new world that you cultivated.
    I think we can find students who appreciate sports with the current standards. I don’t want to see us pursuing the 18 ACT, 2.4 GPA student because “he may be a meathead, but man he loves sports”. That’s all I’m saying.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a social aspect to their college education that's not being met. Why should LA Tech invest time, energy and money in educating "visitors" who are going to do nothing more than commute, get a degree and leave, never to be heard from again? Perhaps new Tech students should be required to attend X number of football, basketball and baseball games each year as part of an extracurricular activity requirement? Grade'em on that just like you do everything else. Attendance is mandatory. And it starts off in the fall with LA Tech "Yell Practice", just like they do at TX A&M. This type of student involvement could go a long way in bridging the gap between the university and its students. And just remember, what we're doing now isn't working.
    This isn't necessarily a compromise, either.

We probably ought to have a bit stricter reqs for incoming students to be honest. Why not extend that to involvement in all university areas?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    Student Fees for Athletics are the norm in CUSA. Please look at the graphic LA Tech Sports Report posted. Every year we don't have one we are falling farther behind. Do you want to have athletics that competes for championships or not? The answer is simple. Put it up for a vote, enact a fee regardless of the vote, and make plans to dominate the conference in every sport. I'm not saying collect $28 mil in fees/year like ODU but make it worthwhile and charge something that gets us to the average collected in CUSA. An extra 4-5 Million would make drastic difference and make huge impact. Guarantee you winning CUSA championships in baseball, football, and basketball would not be far behind.
    We could have had a championship this year and several other recent years and an extra 4-5 million would not have changed that.

We need money but we need people who know how to spend it more.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I expected more levity from you on this topic. I didn't realize you were a grades bigot? I'm not talking about admitting students who obviously don't have the background to perform at the college level. Rather, instead of admitting straight A students who contribute nothing to the university, admit the A- and B students instead. What's wrong with that? No one is going to confuse LA Tech with Harvard anyway. Are we better off choosing the straight A student who ends up being an LSU fan for life? Or, are we better off choosing the "B" student who will give back to LA Tech for life, send his kids to Tech, etc...??
    Ok I think we're on the same page then.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Not well supported. We are now officially a commuter school

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Not well supported. We are now officially a commuter school

It was definitely not presented well by the SGA at all nor the university at this point.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post

It was definitely not presented well by the SGA at all nor the university at this point.
    Gotta work it. Takes time. Social media is a tool, but never a replacement for word of mouth. Social media is KILLING us with dependance on it for our main outreach tool. We are lazy!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post

Don't make the assumption the student who sent it out is in favor of a fee. It might have been presented just the way the student wanted to present it along with the desired result.

Also, Tech's administration didn't have anything to do with the survey.

+ Reply to Thread