+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LA Tech Closes Out Road Swing at UAB

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: LA Tech Closes Out Road Swing at UAB

Based on what our current SID is saying, that color blue was made famous by the WBB team. I guess the run by Russo and Eagles had nothing to do with it.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

Lol, thanks. Hmmm, that’s Malone years, right? Looked that up, and I had two toddlers and didn’t go to games back then except on occasion. Did go from Wooldridge days until last 3-4 years and through the years it was not cool to go to men’s games. I have no recollection of Columbia on the guys, but then I’m old and apparently not too observant.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    Lol, thanks. Hmmm, that’s Malone years, right? Looked that up, and I had two toddlers and didn’t go to games back then except on occasion. Did go from Wooldridge days until last 3-4 years and through the years it was not cool to go to men’s games. I have no recollection of Columbia on the guys, but then I’m old and apparently not too observant.
    It was never not cool to go to the men's games. Most (not all) of those attending WBB games weren't even LaTech fans. They were "Lady Techster" fans.

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

So why did they quit wearing it if they had it first, although i must say i like the royal blue football blue better. All these years all I heard was that it was unique to techsters.

Well, when I said we went when it was not cool, I meant we had men’s season tickets and went religiously back when the poor guys had 100 fans left at a DH after all the techster fans left. Always thought that was cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by CutiePie72 View Post
    So why did they quit wearing it if they had it first, although i must say i like the royal blue football blue better. All these years all I heard was that it was unique to techsters.
    I didn't say they had it first. Actually the football team had it first under Maxie Lambright.

Oh, well, don’t care who wore it first, but it sure has been kept a secret since the techsters became known for it. I was a student in Maxie lambright days and have followed along through the years and didn’t realize that. I’m sure there must be a lot of people who didn’t know it wasn’t just a techster color. Any idea why only the techsters still wear it these days other than other teams as a throwback?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

This is just my recollection, which might not be accurate. The Columbia blue was around for a while, even though it was not our official blue. Sonja Hogg insisted on the Lady Techsters wearing the lighter blue, even when there was a push to wear the official blue for all teams. We won National Championships in the lighter blue and the Techsters kept it because they were well branded with that color. The other teams moved to the correct blue. It was always a point of contention for everyone. After the dust settled, the Lady Techsters have been able to keep their brand color and other teams moved to our official darker blue. Here is a link to logos and colors. You will notice, if you scroll down that the lighter blue is the official Lady Techster color - all other teams are the darker. I believe this was the final agreement. https://s3.amazonaws.com/latechsport...Logo_Slick.pdf. It seems like I remember when all the teams wore the lighter and most people didn't like it.

It seems like I remember when all the teams wore the lighter and most people didn't like it.

I don't know about most people, but I know about a bunch of people.

Also, many will remember the HORRIBLE looking state block T that was originally on the outside of the TAC.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

The official blue has always been the darker color. Look at Bradshaw on the cover of Sports Illustrated. That is the color.

Columbia Blue started late in Maxie’s career and was adopted by Techsters as their official color. The Dawg’s wore for a few years too, see Karl above, but the Royal color was never supplanted.

I am okay with throwbacks and an occasional red out, but the dark blue IS, and should continue to be, our color.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The ESPN TV dude said our Columbia blue unis is the best look he's seen. The reason I like them is because it is a reminder of the best Tech basketball teams in history.

Speaking of the ESPN TV guys...they were a lot better than the ones who covered the UNT game, except the analyst kept crediting Muhammad for every great play Tech made! Several times it was Gordon, once Pemberton, another time Ledoux (which they mispronounced as 'La-doe'). Muhammad was on the bench during one stretch when he got several rebounds and scored two buckets!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The reason I like them is because it is a reminder of the best Tech basketball teams in history.
    Yep, and over 30 years later we've never recovered from the horrible screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    another time Ledoux (which they mispronounced as 'La-doe').
    I love it when Jack pronounces Archibald as 'ARCHI-bald. He's got Dave saying it.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

solid win. Even though we have yet to beat a .500 team in conference, the 4th conference win on the road is significant. Konkol won 2 on the road in two years... moving on up.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    The official blue has always been the darker color. Look at Bradshaw on the cover of Sports Illustrated. That is the color.

Columbia Blue started late in Maxie’s career and was adopted by Techsters as their official color. The Dawg’s wore for a few years too, see Karl above, but the Royal color was never supplanted.

I am okay with throwbacks and an occasional red out, but the dark blue IS, and should continue to be, our color.
    I agree about the Royal blue being our color today. And I like it. That said, I don't recall seeing LA Tech football wear blue in the 1970's. Not saying it didn't happen, but FOR SURE Maxie Lambright's teams wore RED much more often than blue. Clearly, RED was our primary color in the 1970's. It seems like it wasn't until the early 1980's --after Lambright was gone-- that Tech started wearing the blue again in football.

You are correct about 1978/79 anyway. Red jerseys with white and light blue trim along with white with red in light blue trim. Lambright wore the light blue himself when he could. Our stadium was trimmed in light blue along with many other things around campus. I will have to look at some more yearbooks to confirm other Lambright years.

+ Reply to Thread