+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Independence Bowl's unique rotation to have national, regional appeal

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Football Independence Bowl's unique rotation to have national, regional appeal

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...sa/4614191002/

Looks like it will be a rotation of Pac-12, Army & C-USA (and AAC?). Another "major" independent could be involved (BYU?).

The transformation – on the field – of the Independence Bowl will be revealed Thursday, when the schedule for the next six years of Shreveport’s postseason college football game is unlocked. The news will directly affect the game’s transition off the field.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Re: Independence Bowl's unique rotation to have national, regional appeal

Do they get a better day?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    Do they get a better day?
    Probably not - that's ESPN territory there. They should try to cut a deal with FOX to get a better slot. The old New Year's Eve games were great.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Probably not - that's ESPN territory there. They should try to cut a deal with FOX to get a better slot. The old New Year's Eve games were great.
    I thought the Dec 26th, afternoon game, time slot we had was GREAT for TV exposure. Our game drew 2.78M viewers, up 38% over the previous I-Bowl. I believe some of that --certainly not all-- was due to being the first game played after Christmas. Of course, playing Miami helped.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I thought the Dec 26th, afternoon game, time slot we had was GREAT for TV exposure. Our game drew 2.78M viewers, up 38% over the previous I-Bowl. I believe some of that --certainly not all-- was due to being the first game played after Christmas. Of course, playing Miami helped.
    Probably good for tv, bad for attendance. But I bet most if not all of the lower tier bowls (and sometimes the ones at the upper tier) are going to have to make some kind of trade-off in that regard. And that almost all of the trade-offs go that way (prioritizing tv over butts in seats).

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    New Years Eve would be ideal IMO. Have a fireworks show at the end. Most people have the day off on New Years, so there is some extra wiggle room for travel.

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2020/1...agreement.aspx

Not great, but not horrible. I'd rather have a Pac12 opponent.

In this agreement, C-USA is guaranteed to send a team to the Shreveport, Louisiana-based bowl in 2021 and 2025. The C-USA representative is scheduled to face BYU in both the 2021 and 2025 seasons. The Independence Bowl also holds agreements with the Pac-12, American Athletic Conference and Army West Point during the six years.

https://www.independencebowl.org/202...wl-agreements/

2020: Army vs. Pac-12
    2021: BYU vs. C-USA
    2022: Army vs. AAC
    2023: BYU vs. Pac-12
    2024: Army vs. Pac-12
    2025: BYU vs. C-USA

Hopefully C-USA has a secondary agreement for the other years. I'd definitely like to play another Pac12 team in Shreveport.

As part of BYU’s agreement, the Cougars have an option to potentially participate in the Cheez-It Bowl in Arizona should its conference tie-ins (Big Ten and Big 12) be unable to provide an opponent – an option that can be exercised once during the during the three-year primary agreement with the Independence Bowl from 2020-2025.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Maybe both Army (likely) and BYU will be bowl ineligible some years and CUSA will get a vs. PAC 12 slot.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

How far down the Pac-12 pecking order are they? Could be some years they need to replace that side.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    How far down the Pac-12 pecking order are they? Could be some years they need to replace that side.
    I have been took that its the twelfth Pac-12 member, if eligible.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The Indy could be a possible last resort for a PAC 12, but certainly trade bait if needed. This gives the PAC12 2 games in the central time zone (Alamo and Indy) along with the Sun Bowl in El Paso. I'd think all three could be used for trades if need be.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The Indy could be a possible last resort for a PAC 12, but certainly trade bait if needed. This gives the PAC12 2 games in the central time zone (Alamo and Indy) along with the Sun Bowl in El Paso. I'd think all three could be used for trades if need be.
    It all begs the questions - will the Pac 12 actually ever play in this game?

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

I'm sorry but don't see the PAC-12 or BYU or Army adding anything to the I-Bowl. There isn't a large concentration of Mormons in the ARKLATEX, Army may put people in seats but the game will be more boring than the 2019 game, and a PAC-12 bottom feeder will be as popular in the ARKLATEX as a SBD in an elevator! Here, pull my finger...

Seems the I-Bowl elite do nothing but navel gaze when it comes to forging partnerships that will build and sustain the bowl. The fact that they've had revolving sponsors over the last two decades is evidence enough, and signing agreement with conferences and schools 2000 miles away that don't scream "geographical fit" or "record attendance" or even "increased TV share" tends to reinforce the perception.

I wish them luck, but I fear as long as Missy Setters is "setting" there it will be more of the same.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    I'm sorry but don't see the PAC-12 or BYU or Army adding anything to the I-Bowl. There isn't a large concentration of Mormons in the ARKLATEX, Army may put people in seats but the game will be more boring than the 2019 game, and a PAC-12 bottom feeder will be as popular in the ARKLATEX as a SBD in an elevator! Here, pull my finger...

Seems the I-Bowl elite do nothing but navel gaze when it comes to forging partnerships that will build and sustain the bowl. The fact that they've had revolving sponsors over the last two decades is evidence enough, and signing agreement with conferences and schools 2000 miles away that don't scream "geographical fit" or "record attendance" or even "increased TV share" tends to reinforce the perception.

I wish them luck, but I fear as long as Missy Setters is "setting" there it will be more of the same.
    This is all about TV (ESPN). BYU has had (and just extended) their relationship with ESPN. The will help ratings on TV. Plus it gives the I-Bowl stability knowing that at least 2 years (BYU has the option to pick another bowl 1 year) they will have a set matchup.

Army won't add more butts than Tech did, but they will draw a decent crowd (the first time). They are not bad to have for ratings either.

+ Reply to Thread