+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Independence Bowl's unique rotation to have national, regional appeal

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Independence Bowl's unique rotation to have national, regional appeal

When my BIL in the La.Army guard heard this announcement - -

His first thought was that servicemen (&women) from Ft Polk and across N.La. would be 'voluntold' to attend such a game. Anticipated it might serve as a 'drill' weekend for several area Guard units.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Is Setters a mormon? I don't get the attraction for BYU in Shreveport. Have they been in the I-Bowl before?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Is Setters a mormon? I don't get the attraction for BYU in Shreveport. Have they been in the I-Bowl before?
    They have never been in I-Bowl

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    This is probably a pretty solid move for the I-Bowl, considering BYU has such a large Mormon following, and is perhaps the largest and most successful G5 (in terms of home attendance & fan support) in the country. It's also a good move for BYU, because the Cougars are an independent, with limited bowl tie-ins, and limited bowl opportunities. You might say they need each other...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I don't get the BYU connection. I know all about their history and relative success in football. But Shreveport is in the South, this is football country, and we don't need any far west school to...well, for anything! I don't like the Army tie-in either. I like the service academies and they generally play good football, but again, this is the South. This is a stupid, desperate move, I suppose, by the Idiot Bowl board.

Now, the PAC-12...well, obviously far west, but it is a P5 league and that carries value in itself. I would love to see the Dawgs toast a PAC-12 team in the I Bowl. We beat the "black-cladded" Cal Bears in that stadium in a great game behind Rattay.

BYU? Army? To me, this is just another nail in the coffin of the I Bowl.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I don't get the BYU connection. I know all about their history and relative success in football. But Shreveport is in the South, this is football country, and we don't need any far west school to...well, for anything! I don't like the Army tie-in either. I like the service academies and they generally play good football, but again, this is the South. This is a stupid, desperate move, I suppose, by the Idiot Bowl board.

Now, the PAC-12...well, obviously far west, but it is a P5 league and that carries value in itself. I would love to see the Dawgs toast a PAC-12 team in the I Bowl. We beat the "black-cladded" Cal Bears in that stadium in a great game behind Rattay.

BYU? Army? To me, this is just another nail in the coffin of the I Bowl.
    I get it. But you are clearly underestimating BYU. Below is a link to a story talking about how "LDS congregations become crowds at BYU road games". Specifically, the article leads off talking about how 15K BYU fans traveled (or maybe they were mostly nearby LDS'ers) to last year's road game to Neyland Stadium at the Univ of Tennessee.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/10/01/gordon-monson-lds/

And here's a story about BYU's TV appeal:

"I'd have to imagine ESPN is very thrilled with the type of audience BYU delivers and this is when the Cougars are having down years. When BYU is winning, the Cougars are an incredible draw. But, the TV ratings of a program are always interesting to me, because not many teams have enough games on nationally televised networks to see trends with their viewership". - Quote from article

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Ar...son-124621530/

So, there you have it. BYU is the closet thing to a sure bet that can guarantee a nice national TV audience and draw a good crowd in the stands on bowl day, almost anywhere. And, they were available in the marketplace. That's important. By picking BYU, the Indy Bowl has essentially taken care of bowl game attendance and TV appeal.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Louisiana & Arkansas have about 30,000, mormons each. Texas has about 350,000.

I-Bowl should be able to draw some of those
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...-by-state.html

We don’t have a chance to play Pac-12 unless we have a secondary agreement. They are scheduled to play Army or BYU

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I am NOT saying BYU, or Army, playing in the I Bowl would be a bad thing...if it happened once or maybe every 7-10 years or so. I am saying this tie-in is stupid. BYU, and Army, will get old VERY fast and attendance will soon reflect that.

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

The Army vs Auburn Indy Bowl in 1996 was one of the best I Bowls I have been to. Army scoring over 20 points in the 4th Qtr. and almost tying Auburn to force a playoff but the FG just missed with time running out. There was a true 40K plus in attendance and it was cold but we cheered on the Black Knights who almost beat the SEC.

I'm not sure how the new arrangement will work out but I will give the I-Bowl a B+ for creativity. I think they may actually have a chance to draw a more stable sponsor with this arrangement. A sponsor that has some interest in the military or if they could just find a local sponsor that would commit even though it might be at a slightly less cost than past title sponsors. General Dynamics comes to mind now that they have bought out the Cyber thing over in Bossier City.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if there is a out for the two teams if they are ranked in the top 10.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    I wonder if there is a out for the two teams if they are ranked in the top 10.
    Pretty sure there is since they would more than likely qualify for a New Year's 6 game....

Bowl selections are made after those selections are filled
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    The Army vs Auburn Indy Bowl in 1996 was one of the best I Bowls I have been to. Army scoring over 20 points in the 4th Qtr. and almost tying Auburn to force a playoff but the FG just missed with time running out. There was a true 40K plus in attendance and it was cold but we cheered on the Black Knights who almost beat the SEC.

I'm not sure how the new arrangement will work out but I will give the I-Bowl a B+ for creativity. I think they may actually have a chance to draw a more stable sponsor with this arrangement. A sponsor that has some interest in the military or if they could just find a local sponsor that would commit even though it might be at a slightly less cost than past title sponsors. General Dynamics comes to mind now that they have bought out the Cyber thing over in Bossier City.
    The "Army" tie-in fits very nicely with the Indy Bowl's whole "Independence" theme. I know it's improbable, but it would be great to get Army, Navy and Air Force in the Indy Bowl on a rotating basis. Yeah, I know the "Armed Forces Bowl" does that already, but, the Indy Bowl has been around longer, and could be part of a 2-Bowl regular rotation between those 3 teams.

As for the "Military Bowl", they have a conference tie-in with the AAC, and have only had a "military" school play in 4 of their 12 bowl games, with Navy playing in it 3 times & Air Force once. Army has never played in the Military Bowl.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    The "Army" tie-in fits very nicely with the Indy Bowl's whole "Independence" theme. I know it's improbable, but it would be great to get Army, Navy and Air Force in the Indy Bowl on a rotating basis. Yeah, I know the "Armed Forces Bowl" does that already, but, the Indy Bowl has been around longer, and could be part of a 2-Bowl regular rotation between those 3 teams.

As for the "Military Bowl", they have a conference tie-in with the AAC, and have only had a "military" school play in 4 of their 12 bowl games, with Navy playing in it 3 times & Air Force once. Army has never played in the Military Bowl.
    I agree. Plus at least have an Air Force commitment, for obvious reasons, in the rotation with BYU and Army.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I agree. Plus at least have an Air Force commitment, for obvious reasons, in the rotation with BYU and Army.
    Air Force plays in a conference.

I believe the Indy Bowl has done a MWC tie-in in previous years.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

need to working on that Space Force tie-in...

+ Reply to Thread