Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
Last night was difficult to watch. USM outhustled us, wanted the ball more. Several times we had the advantage on a ball and would reach for it, yet USM took a step instead of reaching and got the ball first: we take a step instead of reach, it's ours. Several totally unforced turnovers on bad passes: way over a head, behind, just unreachable. Nearly all season we've seen teams just play harder with more desire and more just going after the ball.

Saw that throughout Spoon's tenure too. I dont know that desire is coachable. I wonder if we're recruiting girls that lack that. Our players are classy, solid STUDENT athletes, graciously come up into the stands after games: I'm proud of them. But recruiting is killing our on-the-court sucess. Several teams we should have bested have just come to Ruston and played harder. I can take losing, but just being outhustled is so hard to watch. I dont know what the answer is. We've seen much of this it seems like for 10 years.
The game has changed. Small schools have to recruit to a style of play, not necessarily player personalities or raw talents. So much up and down the court now. I see schools recruiting guards and going to three point shooting almost exclusively. I see schools playing uptempo press the entire game!

The problem is there is no consistency with what Brooke is trying to do. (Same gripe I have about Konkol sometimes) Develop your identity first and then recruit around that.