+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miracle on Ice: 40 years ago today

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Miracle on Ice: 40 years ago today

The greatest single sporting event of the 20th century, in my opinion. It was 40 years ago today.

For those of you not born yet or too young to remember this game really did unite the country when it was badly needed. As the US hockey team won game after game leading up to that Friday night it was all we talked about in school.

In those days cable TV consisted of stations 2 through 13. And most of those stations were network affiliates. So as a nation we all watched the same programming.

Friday night was appointment television in those days. Everyone was watching. It wasn't until years later that I learned (and probably just about everybody else) that the game had been played that afternoon and taped by ABC for broadcast that night. The game ended about 30 minutes before the broadcast started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfD134ED54

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

Re: Miracle on Ice: 40 years ago today

Still had to defeat Sweden for the gold medal but this was the big one!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Remember it like it was yesterday. Would take a while to explain what this hockey game did for us...but in a nutshell, suffering thru 4 years of Jimmy Carter as POTUS...the Soviet Union boasting they had ascended to the top of the world as the #1 super power. etc... Yes, it was just a hockey game...only it wasn't JUST a hockey game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddawgfan View Post
    Still had to defeat Sweden for the gold medal but this was the big one!!
    Finland...

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

The team is having a reunion this weekend in Las Vegas and will be honored at the Golden Knights game tonight!

18 of the 20 teams members are there, as well as Al Michaels. There is also a fan event at the Thomas & Mack Center going on right now.

https://apnews.com/9e946ca0f750a03e64d8fcc453b5cdbd

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

Thanks, dawg80. Memory is going faster than I thought!!!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I love both summer and winter Olympics as does my wife of 43 years. So yes we were watching and cheering our arses off. What a great game, week and Winter Olympics in general. But kicking the commies and basically their paid pro players at their own game with our college kids was incredible.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The greatest single sporting event of the 20th century, in my opinion. It was 40 years ago today.

For those of you not born yet or too young to remember this game really did unite the country when it was badly needed. As the US hockey team won game after game leading up to that Friday night it was all we talked about in school.

In those days cable TV consisted of stations 2 through 13. And most of those stations were network affiliates. So as a nation we all watched the same programming.

Friday night was appointment television in those days. Everyone was watching. It wasn't until years later that I learned (and probably just about everybody else) that the game had been played that afternoon and taped by ABC for broadcast that night. The game ended about 30 minutes before the broadcast started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfD134ED54
    I remember calling the local radio station during the game to find out the score since it wasn't being televised live. We must have called 4-5 times total once we heard it was close. Had a brief celebration between our little group when it was over. I've always been amused by how many people I talk to who thought they saw it live.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I remember calling the local radio station during the game to find out the score since it wasn't being televised live. We must have called 4-5 times total once we heard it was close. Had a brief celebration between our little group when it was over. I've always been amused by how many people I talk to who thought they saw it live.
    I was a kid in 1980. Better that my friends and I didn't know.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I've always been amused by how many people I talk to who thought they saw it live.
    Why? What's so amusing about that?

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Opps.

I knew it wasn't live and knew the score but wanted to see it with my own eyes so I watched every second!!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but didn't ABC air the game on tape delay and made a point of not announcing the score before hand? I'm pretty sure I didn't know who the winner was until I saw the broadcast. So it was like watching it live. And without internet it was a lot easier to avoid news.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but didn't ABC air the game on tape delay and made a point of not announcing the score before hand? I'm pretty sure I didn't know who the winner was until I saw the broadcast. So it was like watching it live. And without internet it was a lot easier to avoid news.
    Yes.

I suppose if you wanted to learn the score you could have. But we wanted to watch the ABC broadcast as if it were live.

+ Reply to Thread