+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How is Covid-19 affecting your work?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: How is Covid-19 affecting your work?

I'm going with Teams for my board meeting today. As I understand, it's basically a mashup of Sharepoint and Skype, two platforms that I'm already familiar with. (Plus, as you may know, I'm a bit of a MS fanboy.)

But I'm not married to Teams either. If it gives attitude, I'll try out WebEx next time.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I'm going with Teams for my board meeting today. As I understand, it's basically a mashup of Sharepoint and Skype, two platforms that I'm already familiar with. (Plus, as you may know, I'm a bit of a MS fanboy.)

But I'm not married to Teams either. If it gives attitude, I'll try out WebEx next time.
    We use Teams and web ex. Teams seems easy. Webex is a little better for a formal meeting IMO.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Happy St. Joseph's Day! I love those St. Joseph's altars stacked with all that great food. It's mostly an Italian tradition. But I suppose such gatherings are cancelled this year .
    Today is also the first day of spring, the Vernal Equinox. It's usually on March 21 or 22. I suppose because the Earth is wobbling on its axis more lately, spring came early this year.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Today is also the first day of spring, the Vernal Equinox. It's usually on March 21 or 22. I suppose because the Earth is wobbling on its axis more lately, spring came early this year.
    Would have been March 20 without Leap Day.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Would have been March 20 without Leap Day.
    Right, good point! And today, the 20th, is the first full day of spring. Yesterday, spring began midway through the day. Of course, we'll still have our annual "Easter snap" with one more blast of some cold weather.

Well, as expected my renters are starting to call asking for a reduction for April rent. Many are college students who work at restuarants and have been laid off indefinitely. I am adjusting the rent on a case by case basis. We all have to work together to get thru this CHINESE DISEASE!

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I went to the office most days this week, but I moved into a home office setup this evening. For the next few weeks (at a minimum), I'll be running online classes. Our admin is being stubborn about admitting that we won't be going back to school soon. I don't get it--the liability alone makes it clear we can't afford to go back this spring.

There weren't more than 6-7 of us around the office most days this week so it wasn't a big deal doing the "social distance" thing. Now that I'm set up with a good work space at home, though, I don't plan to go in for a while. We are doing advising and registration virtually, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    I went to the office most days this week, but I moved into a home office setup this evening. For the next few weeks (at a minimum), I'll be running online classes. Our admin is being stubborn about admitting that we won't be going back to school soon. I don't get it--the liability alone makes it clear we can't afford to go back this spring.

There weren't more than 6-7 of us around the office most days this week so it wasn't a big deal doing the "social distance" thing. Now that I'm set up with a good work space at home, though, I don't plan to go in for a while. We are doing advising and registration virtually, as well.
    My wife, who is a dean at NSU, and a her department heads have been at the office every day, and most of the day this past week. Some faculty members came in to get assistance switching F2F classes to a strictly online delivery. Most faculty were already using the Moodle platform plus other online services like McGraw-Hill for testing and assignments, so switching away from F2F was an easy transition for them and their students. And yes, to advising and registration, although NSU's system still requires someone to access the Registrar's Office database via a directly connected terminal, i.e. a desktop in each dean's and department head's office. Not a big deal since the deans and department heads are on campus anyway.

As someone who always looks for that "silver lining" I see tremendous potential in the fallout of this "crisis." For one, and we can discuss this in more detail going forward, is the notion that universities as we now know them are dinosaurs that either evolve, or get swept away. Is Covid-19 that asteroid for the current bloated, antiquated university system?

BTW, I saw a cartoon that showed two dinosaurs looking up at the sky, one says "An asteroid!" The other says, "We better get toilet paper!"

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I saw a cartoon that showed two dinosaurs looking up at the sky, one says "An asteroid!" The other says, "We better get toilet paper!"

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

As someone who always looks for that "silver lining" I see tremendous potential in the fallout of this "crisis." For one, and we can discuss this in more detail going forward, is the notion that universities as we now know them are dinosaurs that either evolve, or get swept away. Is Covid-19 that asteroid for the current bloated, antiquated university system?
    I've been wondering about the survival of universities as we know it, for the last 5 years. Fact is, there's so much "learning and education" available on line now, I find it difficult to believe that colleges and universities won't have to adjust very soon. And to your point, COVID-19 may be just the stimulus that creates "the great awakening".

I think we will see a tremendous amount of change in how higher education is delivered over the next 10 years, maybe less. Get ready.....Louisiana Tech as we know it may not be recognizable by 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I've been wondering about the survival of universities as we know it, for the last 5 years. Fact is, there's so much "learning and education" available on line now, I find it difficult to believe that colleges and universities won't have to adjust very soon. And to your point, COVID-19 may be just the stimulus that creates "the great awakening".

I think we will see a tremendous amount of change in how higher education is delivered over the next 10 years, maybe less. Get ready.....Louisiana Tech as we know it may not be recognizable by 2030.
    This warrants its own thread, when we feel like discussing it in greater detail. Although...JBE has just ordered all "non-essential" workers to stay home. Hmmm...I consider everything I do to be essential. But, we may have more at-home time to kill this week, and beyond.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

This warrants its own thread, when we feel like discussing it in greater detail. Although...JBE has just ordered all "non-essential" workers to stay home. Hmmm...I consider everything I do to be essential. But, we may have more at-home time to kill this week, and beyond.
    I feel the same way. The appraisal requests from banks and individuals have increased. If my office doesn’t answer the call, we will be taken off of approved bank lists and individuals will go elsewhere. Our entire pipeline could dry up in as little as 2 weeks.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I think we will be considered essential. One or more of our services is certainly essential. Saying that I think we will cut back on staff and/or share time.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

https://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/...om/detail/2427

There is a link where it looks like you can look up an occupation (CISA link).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I feel the same way. The appraisal requests from banks and individuals have increased. If my office doesn’t answer the call, we will be taken off of approved bank lists and individuals will go elsewhere. Our entire pipeline could dry up in as little as 2 weeks.
    You should be good...

Financial Services and Banking Industry Employees

+ Reply to Thread