+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naturally Competitive!?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Naturally Competitive!?

Since we're all hunkering down...and suffering from cabin fever...we pulled out some old box games. With my 4-yr-old granddaughter we played Chutes and Ladders, I'm sure you are familiar with the game. The first two games my granddaughter won, but the third time I won, and just as I was about to suggest we play again she got terribly upset. She went from sadness to anger, she even shoved the board away "I don't want to play anymore. I don't like this game!" Of course we counseled her not to act that way. You're not going to win every game...blah, blah, blah.

Afterwards I asked myself where she learned that behavior. She has not been around me, er, very much when I watch sports on TV. And besides, I have chilled a bunch in recent years. Although my wife blames me for such things, I honestly don't believe she learned that from me. So, I pose a question: are humans just naturally competitive? Maybe the intensity of how it manifests is a learned behavior, but the basic instinct is present in everyone.

Today we see youth sports' leagues TRYING to play down the competitive side of sports. Some youth leagues don't keep score...although I have often seen the kids do! Yep! most of the kids, even as young as 7 or 8, know the score of the game they just finished, even as their parents pretend "no one won." I personally think we are doing kids a disservice playing down the competitive nature of sports. I do think they should be taught to be good sports, to congratulate the other team, and to accept they won't ever win every game they play...learn to live with that.

Comments? Are people just naturally competitive?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Naturally Competitive!?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Comments? Are people just naturally competitive?
    Deep stuff there, bro.

In Jonathan Hadith's The Righteous Mind (2013), the author posits that human behavior is roughly 90% chimp (individualist / competitive) and 10% bee (collectivist / cooperative). I didnt fully agree with all the author's points, but on the whole, I found his thesis pretty persuasive.

Yes, people are generally competitive. But only to a point. Your mileage may vary.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Chimps can be feisty.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I'm not sure I'd buy that all humans are naturally competitive. I tend to be pretty high on the competitive scale, but I have friends who simply can play games for quite a while and never care whether or not they win. I've even known a few people worse than me (especially in college--they helped me see that I needed to tone down a bit).

Like a lot of personality things, it's a spectrum.

Now, I'm talking games. If it comes to survival, C967 has a point.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Chimps can be feisty.
    ....and pretty smart, too!

+ Reply to Thread