+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 97 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid - 19 - Louisiana Edition

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Covid - 19 - Louisiana Edition

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    My sister and brother-in-law, 58 and 60 years old respectively, who live in the suburbs of Choudrant, have both tested positive for the corona virus. Neither of them can smell or taste anything, and my brother-in-law had a cough that lasted three days, but neither have any other symptoms and appear to be on the mend quite nicely. It seems to me that this virus doesn't appear to be affecting people nearly as bad as it once did.
    Hearing a lot of like your sister and BIL.

Just like from day one, unless somebody has comorbidities they will get well. Even then, they are getting well.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

"It's disappointing," Gov. Abbott said. "And again, I can understand the mindset being a kid who grew up in Longview myself, that this may not be the top priority. A murderer, or a rapist or a robber is far more serious to concentrate on. However, I know this also, and that is if we do not all join together and unite in this one cause for a short period of time, of adopting a mask, what it will lead to is the necessity of having to close Texas back down. That should be the last thing that any government wants ⁠— the last thing that any business owner wants. Your business owners in Tyler ⁠— in Longview, they should be demanding that their government officials enforce this face mask order now to make sure they will be able to stay open. And the only way those businesses are going to stay open is to make sure people wear masks to slow the spread of the coronavirus."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    My sister and brother-in-law, 58 and 60 years old respectively, who live in the suburbs of Choudrant, have both tested positive for the corona virus. Neither of them can smell or taste anything, and my brother-in-law had a cough that lasted three days, but neither have any other symptoms and appear to be on the mend quite nicely. It seems to me that this virus doesn't appear to be affecting people nearly as bad as it once did.
    Saw one of dem "experts" on TV say the virus appears to be weakening which apparently is part of the normal life cycle, maturation, of viruses.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Mutation is normal for viruses including mutations that have a weaker effect on the host, but they can also mutate to have more virulent effects, particularly if such a mutation doesn’t slow its propagation (those that propagate more easily are evolutionarily more likely to be spread more).

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Mutation is normal for viruses including mutations that have a weaker effect on the host, but they can also mutate to have more virulent effects, particularly if such a mutation doesn’t slow its propagation (those that propagate more easily are evolutionarily more likely to be spread more).
    Perhaps in the short term, but over time, viruses weaken. If that were not true than the 1918 Spanish Flu strain would still be a lethal virus. It is not. If it still exists somewhere in nature, and it may not, it is a wholly a harmless strain, to humans, anyway.

But yes, most definitely, SARS II aka Covid-19 aka the China Virus, is still in that part of its life cycle that it can mutate into a more virulent form. That's what the 1918 Spanish Flu did, its second wave was much worse than the first. But, it all occurred within an 18-24 month lifespan. And, it should be mentioned, just as many viruses, like the 2009-10 "Swine" Flu, really the Mexican Flu, petered out naturally, becoming weaker in about a year form its origination date. The one year anniversary of this China Virus is coming up in November. Of course, as I mentioned, if Biden wins the virus will magically disappear anyway...

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Gov. Edwards mandates masks/face coverings. Three parishes have the ability to opt out (Grant, Red River, and I cant recall the third).

I’m routinely thankful that Rispone is not the governor during this pandemic.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Rispone was a puppet and I agree about him. He was controlled by Lane Grigsby .

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

So I asked a similar question previously, but apparently to vaguely.

Does anyone know how a ‘positive’ case is being reported for Louisiana? From what I see they only report one set of numbers with nothing distinguishing as to how they arrived at a ‘positive’.

Based upon my reading, something would be considered a ‘confirmed’ case if the person is tested and the test comes back positive. Are all Louisiana cases reported in this manner?

CDC also discusses a probable case where certain criteria have been met but it has not been confirmed with a viral test.

According to the CDC, there are three ways a case is considered probable:
    • A person meeting clinical criteria AND epidemiological evidence with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19;
    • A person meeting presumptive laboratory evidence AND either clinical criteria OR epidemiological evidence;
    • A person meeting vital records criteria with no confirmatory laboratory testing performed for COVID-19.

Clinical criteria are defined as:
    • At least two of the following symptoms: fever (measured or subjective), chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, new olfactory and taste disorder(s)
    OR
    • At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
    OR
    • Severe respiratory illness with at least one of the following:
    · Clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia, OR
    · Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).
    AND
    • No alternative more likely diagnosis

Epidemiological evidence or linkages are defined by the CDC as:
    • One or more of the following exposures in the 14 days before onset of symptoms:
    · Close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19 disease; OR
    · Close contact with a person with:
     clinically compatible illness AND linkage to a confirmed case of COVID-19 disease.
     Travel to or residence in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of SARS-CoV-2.
     Member of a risk cohort as defined by public health authorities during an outbreak.

The CDC says presumptive laboratory evidence includes:

• Detection of specific antigen in a clinical specimen
    • Detection of specific antibody in serum, plasma, or whole blood indicative of a new or recent infection

Finally, vital records criteria is just a death certificate that lists COVID-19 as a cause of death or a significant condition contributing to death.

Therefore, in order for a case to be considered probable without an antibody or viral test, the patient would need to display either one or two symptoms and have had some kind of documented exposure to a person or areas associated with the disease. Again based upon what I've read, they would ask the person to self quarantine for 14 days and call them back at prescribed times.

So, my question, is Louisiana considering probables (I would assume so) and are they lumping them in with the total reported cases (If they are looking at them and only reporting one number, then they must be)? Maybe the more disturbing question is whether these ‘probables’ are being included in the numerator when they are calculated the percent positive tests.

Additionally, I had a friend tell me today that he’s talked to two nurses (from different areas of the state) who indicated they were now testing someone hospitalized with Covid every day. Again this is just something someone told me, no way for me to confirm it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Gov. Edwards mandates masks/face coverings. Three parishes have the ability to opt out (Grant, Red River, and I cant recall the third).

I’m routinely thankful that Rispone is not the governor during this pandemic.
    Mayor Perkins of S'port tried that and got sued.

And how is one "routinely" thankful? Just curious. Is that some kind of casual thankfulness?

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Younger people are getting it. More test = more positives, false positives, and false negatives.

We are a free country that depends on capitalism. The China Virus is not going away. We will have to learn how to live with is until...
    No, the percentage of positive tests is worrisome, no matter the demographic.

What are other free countries that also depend on capitalism doing right that we’re getting wrong?

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    Rispone was a puppet and I agree about him. He was controlled by Lane Grigsby .
    That is the absolute truth right there.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    No, the percentage of positive tests is worrisome
    No it is not. It's a pandemic. It's not going away.

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    No, the percentage of positive tests is worrisome, no matter the demographic.
    And that leads to my question above. Are we certain this is the number 'testing' positive divided by the number of tests given? Has anyone seen this spelled out? I'm just curious as it seems we're still be given numbers with a lot of uncertainty as to where they are coming from. Additionally, how many already known positive people (who have 'tested' positive) are being retested and those numbers being thrown into the calculation? If you seen anywhere that discusses this for Louisiana please let me know.

Not sure what is true, but what I am hearing is JBE's mandate of mask-wearing will, in a practical sense, only be enforced against small businesses by having licenses revoked and/or having utilities, including water, shut off at their business. LE officers will not be expected to be writing tickets to individuals in violation, although they could. The biggies, like Walmart, are expected to "enforce" mask-wearing by denying entry into the store to those w/o one. But small businesses are subject to being turned in via a complaint and suffering the above ramifications.

And what of private gatherings on private property i.e. someone having a party at a house? Will LE show up and demand everyone wear a mask and ticket those who refuse? Or will that house have its utilities shut off. The water can easily be turned back on by the property owner...unless the city/parish has a way to turn it off and then lock it.

Surely a lawsuit has already been filed and a judge will halt this illegal mandate in its tracks, as happened in S'port.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    No it is not. It's a pandemic. It's not going away.

Yeah huh, it’s absolutely worrisome.

What are other free countries that also depend on capitalism doing right that we’re getting wrong?

+ Reply to Thread