+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid - 19 - Louisiana Edition

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Covid - 19 - Louisiana Edition

I know a 70 year old who is pretty fit. Takes BP and Col meds. He said it was pretty bad for about 7 days. Low grade fever certain times of the day. His wife had it too. She is pretty fit as well and got through it.

I know a 40 year old who is a little heavy, but a big guy so his BMI is not out of wack. He also said it was pretty bad for about 7 days. Nobody else in his house (wife and 3 teenagers) got sick.

Neither one of them lost their sense of taste or smell. Neither had much of an appetite and both lost weight. Not as much as that idiot Chris Cuomo claimed to lose, but a considerable amount for 7 days.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

https://opensafely.la.gov/

Oh! businesses have to register and be given permission to open. If you have contributed enough to JBE's coffers, and to the Dem Party, you will be allowed to open. They will send you a placard that has to be displayed showing you have bowed down to total guvmint control and have been granted the privilege to once again enjoy SOME of your Constitutional rights.

Cynic alert!

This has gotten beyond ridiculous. Especially when you consider the number of businesses who have totally ignored all the edicts, without consequence. Local auto dealership has not altered one thing about their operations and have proudly posted pics on Facebook of "happy new customers." The local Smoke & Vape Shop hasn't missed a beat. No drive-thru or curbside service offered. Nope! customers going into the shop just as they always have. Yet! the Chick-Fil-A was shutdown and ticketed because it does not have a drive-thru and customers were going in to place take-out orders, no inside dining was being allowed. Are we to believe the virus is only dangerous in some businesses, but not in others?

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither and will have neither." - Benjamin Franklin.

What has happened to our true blue Libertarians!? Certainly none exist on this forum. Ya know...I'm okay with employing some sensible precautions. That's a personal choice I am making. Wearing a mask at times...in public inside places (like Walmart)...doesn't bother me. It doesn't even rise to the level of a minor annoyance. I'm okay with there being sensible distancing precautions too. But, why aren't others, especially those "lockdown" Nazis out there....and man! are they ever out there! screaming about these obvious contradictions!?

A former friend...and yes, I have now placed her in the "former friend" category, has been very vocal on blogs, local Facebook pages, etc...yelling about all this social distancing and lockdown mess. Her husband has COPD and she screams "you idiots are killing him!" just because a family had a picnic on a local lake and shared pics of it on FB. As someone posted, "Hey lady, your husband was not present, and wasn't even invited." This former friend suffers from TDS too and ends every post with "Vote Dem in 2020."

Back to the bigger point...So, why haven't the "lockdown" Nazis been screaming about some of these businesses who have NEVER, not for one minute, adhered to any of the mitigating edicts? The Smoke & Vape Shop? Yeah, there's an essential business for ya! The Party Animals Association in my 'hood have not missed a beat either. They have weekend get-togethers, and sometimes smaller weekday gatherings too, and practice no safety measures at all. Maybe they will prove to be the smart ones ultimately. So far...it looks that way.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    https://opensafely.la.gov/

Back to the bigger point...So, why haven't the "lockdown" Nazis been screaming about some of these businesses who have NEVER, not for one minute, adhered to any of the mitigating edicts? The Smoke & Vape Shop? Yeah, there's an essential business for ya! The Party Animals Association in my 'hood have not missed a beat either. They have weekend get-togethers, and sometimes smaller weekday gatherings too, and practice no safety measures at all. Maybe they will prove to be the smart ones ultimately. So far...it looks that way.
    Good post. The divide on this issues you touched on is as big as the Grand Canyon.

On Saturday morning, around 7 a.m. I was in a Winn-Dixie supermarket in the metro New Orleans area. There are many elderly customers who are shopping early. With perhaps 30 customers in the store about 25 were earning masks. The employees now are also wearing masks.

Then a middle aged man, who was wearing polo shorts and a Nike t-shirt walked into the store with his 10-year old son, acting as if nothing was going on. While everyone else in the store was avoiding one another, he and his son were casually walking past people as they carried on a conversation. When they were checking out, a woman in her 70s, who was wearing a mask, walked behind and berated him. From the self checkout lane about 30 feet away I heard her use the phrase "you irresponsible f------ idiot".

Later in the day I was in the same store to pick up one item. With the store more crowed about 50% of customers were wearing masks. Again, there were whole families in the store, men and women with kids, acting as if nothing was going on. It was interesting to see people dive out of their way.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Couples should not be shopping together period. THAT is irresponsible. Masks are not a fool proof. Better one masked shopper than two shoppers wearing masks.

I say this because I see a TON of couples and/or their kiddos out shopping wearing masks like they are just fine.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Couples should not be shopping together period. THAT is irresponsible. Masks are not a fool proof. Better one masked shopper than two shoppers wearing masks.

I say this because I see a TON of couples and/or their kiddos out shopping wearing masks like they are just fine.
    The idiocy is amazing.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

They have been advised and asked to only have one person per family in a store. While leaving Albertsons early Sunday morning a family was entering massless and there were 7 of them total counting mother and children. I just shook my head and was glad I was on the way out.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

May 4

29,673 cases 1,991 deaths 20,316 recovered (68.5%) testing rate at 16.4%

1,502 in hosp 220 on vents
    Cinco de Mayo

29,996 cases 2,042 deaths testing rate at 15.9%

1,512 in hosp 194 on vents

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Some positive news. Though there is currently no known scientific cure for the disease known as COVID-19, researchers have created an antibody "that neutralizes SARS-CoV-2" in cells, offering the potential for prevention and treatment.

The study notes the antibody, known as 47D11, was created in a lab environment and was able to inhibit the spike protein found in SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, as well as SARS-CoV.

"Our data show that 47D11 neutralizes SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 through a yet unknown mechanism that is different from receptor-binding interference," the researchers wrote in the study. "Alternative mechanisms of coronavirus neutralization by RBD-targeting antibodies have been reported including spike inactivation through antibody-induced destabilization of its prefusion structure17, which may also apply for 47D11."

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Louisiana was one of the earliest states to have hotspots in high population areas (New Orleans and Shreveport were early in our state) and thus we are among the 13 states with currently declining numbers of cases and deaths. There are areas in the state where things are still moving up (like where I live in and around Baton Rouge) so we clearly aren't done yet BUT ... If you take the current totals in Louisiana in terms of deaths and apply that to the population of the United States we would be looking at 144k deaths nationwide. I know it is more complicated than that but it isn't much worse than other guesses out there.

(2042/4.649) * 328.2 = 144k

Trumps model which initially bottomed out at 60k was adjusted up once we passed 60k (Apr 29) and it is now saying less than 100k. We are at 72k today, 6 days later after 60k. The trend shows in every western nation with significant numbers that is ahead of us that the numbers come down slowly.
    Some states are just getting into a rise in numbers so I don't think we are on a downward trend. Some major cities will see increases and I think a longer slow drop is more likely.
    I still think under 100k is too optimistic. I suspect we get there by the 15th. 144k might be high but I think 100k is a low end expectation at this point.

FWIW, 439 deaths per million is the number for Louisiana. We look a bit like Spain, Italy, UK, France etc who have rates between 390 and 550 and are still reporting hundreds of deaths per day.

No daily update yet. They have been consistent with posting updates at noon each day. I smell a rat...

No daily update yet. They have been consistent with posting updates at noon each day. I smell a rat...
    Probably not enough deaths from other causes in the last 24 hours.

Cinco de Mayo

29,996 cases 2,042 deaths testing rate at 15.9%

1,512 in hosp 194 on vents
    May 6 (posted at 3:30)

30,399 cases 2,094 deaths test rate at 15.6%

1,465 in hosp 187 on vents

In other news...the Mariner's Restaurant (on Sibley Lake, Natchitoches) is closing for good. Couldn't survive the shutdown. Current owners have had it for 38 years. It's even older than that.

This mess is destroying people's lives.

And, I just remembered, this is where my wife and I had our first date. She asked me out and bought dinner...and drove too. Tch tch, what women expect from ya just because she paid for dinner. Man!

I hate to hear that I was looking forward to driving down and eating there once this calms down.

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    I hate to hear that I was looking forward to driving down and eating there once this calms down.
    Hopefully someone will buy it...

+ Reply to Thread