+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid - 19 - Louisiana Edition

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: Covid - 19 - Louisiana Edition

Technically, I don’t think it is the virus itself that is killing so many people, but the body’s immune response to it and secondary bacterial infections you might acquire while your immune system is fighting the virus. How do you define deaths you are going to blame on COVID 19 and those that you don’t when a patient has COVID 19.

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Technically, I don’t think it is the virus itself that is killing so many people, but the body’s immune response to it and secondary bacterial infections you might acquire while your immune system is fighting the virus. How do you define deaths you are going to blame on COVID 19 and those that you don’t when a patient has COVID 19.
    My understanding is also that it's the immune system's reaction to the virus not the virus itself that is the culprit (though we're probably arguing tomatoe, tomato). I've seen a couple of other cases where family members have indicated it wasn't the virus. However, the situation with this one is they were touting it as someone very young who died from it. If you look at http://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/ they've removed it from the age group chart but not the overall total (as far as I know).

I'm certain there are cases both ones. Some being reported as a death due to the virus just because they tested positive and then some (at least early on) where they weren't tested but may have had the virus.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Perhaps. But, ultimately, and that will have to wait until the crisis has passed, medical science needs to find answers to those questions.

This is not exactly the same thing but, I lost my dad to a massive heart attack. The autopsy revealed he was also eaten up with cancer. So cancer would have taken him down eventually, had the heart failure not happened. Technically the cancer did not kill him. The doctor told us he probably would have lived several more years with the cancer, and possibly 10 years with treatment. Did the cancer cause strain on his heart, we asked. Nope! apparently they were totally unrelated conditions.

Right now it is expedient to connect all deaths to C-19. Using "scare" tactics helps to convince some hard-headed folks to take this more seriously. Eventually medical science needs to get this right. There will be political pressure to inflate the numbers as much as possible...and we all know why. But the scientists need to stay rooted in the facts to produce vaccines and other measures as we await the next version of a pandemic.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The site finally caught up and shows the cases in Red River and Sabine parishes...old news. Which makes me question the overall numbers. I knew about those...but what about other parishes?

Positive testing rate down to 12.7% And in 59 of 64 parishes now.
    D80 - I think there is a lag time on the site somewhere in the neighborhood of two to four days...

Rhythmdawg could give a better guess

I know what each facility has to report to ldh every morning on their results received from the labs during the prior 24 hour period -

Some clinics and centers are getting results in 24 to 36 hours - some are in a lab of as much as 6 to 8 days

I have a brother who works for Quest and he says they are close to their targeted goal of 24 hour turn around in their Monroe lab - he says by the end of next week, that could be cut down to 45 minutes if they get what they are promised

As most on here know my wife is an NP who works in the rural setting at Reeves in Bernice - depending on the severity of the patient they get some tests back in 24 to 36 hours - the less severe patients its taking upwards of 3 to 4 days -

At the local hospital here in HOmer - they are on a 8 to 10 day lag with their lag partner (which in my book is inexcusable)
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Interesting development in New Orleans due to stay at home order.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...streets-empty/

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

People usually don't die from cancer, they die from pneumonia and sepsis. Did cancer kill them?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Interesting discussion...

The underlying conditions sometimes exist before the virus, like being diabetic, HPB, or obese.

Sometimes the virus finds the underlying conditions like the guy who had the heart attack, but he may or may not have known he had heart issues.

Our health is always so important, but at a time like this it is literally life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    My understanding is also that it's the immune system's reaction to the virus not the virus itself that is the culprit (though we're probably arguing tomatoe, tomato). I've seen a couple of other cases where family members have indicated it wasn't the virus. However, the situation with this one is they were touting it as someone very young who died from it. If you look at http://ldh.la.gov/coronavirus/ they've removed it from the age group chart but not the overall total (as far as I know).
    In Post 32 I had stated the above. However, they are still counting the death of the 17 year old in the totals. If you look at the age group bar graph it now has 1 listed for <18, they weren't doing this before and no bar was previously showing.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

You should see the size of rats in downtown Houston at night poking and sneaking out of their sewers. Both cities have been bad for decades. I can't imagine how bad the old big cities are on the east and west coast; much-less somewhat middle of the country Chicago and Detroit.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    You should see the size of rats in downtown Houston at night poking and sneaking out of their sewers. Both cities have been bad for decades. I can't imagine how bad the old big cities are on the east and west coast; much-less somewhat middle of the country Chicago and Detroit.
    Philadelphia rats are about the size of a pekingese.

New York City's are regular size, though they don't care about anything. They own the streets.

Boston's are about regular size, too. I've mostly seen them (only at night and late into it) around Fenway, Back Bay, and the Common.

Weirdly enough, have yet to see a rat in any of my wandering of Washington, DC.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Philadelphia rats are about the size of a pekingese.

New York City's are regular size, though they don't care about anything. They own the streets.

Boston's are about regular size, too. I've mostly seen them (only at night and late into it) around Fenway, Back Bay, and the Common.
    Yes indeed as I've been to these cities and out at night as well.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    D80 - I think there is a lag time on the site somewhere in the neighborhood of two to four days...

Rhythmdawg could give a better guess

I know what each facility has to report to ldh every morning on their results received from the labs during the prior 24 hour period -

Some clinics and centers are getting results in 24 to 36 hours - some are in a lab of as much as 6 to 8 days

I have a brother who works for Quest and he says they are close to their targeted goal of 24 hour turn around in their Monroe lab - he says by the end of next week, that could be cut down to 45 minutes if they get what they are promised

As most on here know my wife is an NP who works in the rural setting at Reeves in Bernice - depending on the severity of the patient they get some tests back in 24 to 36 hours - the less severe patients its taking upwards of 3 to 4 days -

At the local hospital here in HOmer - they are on a 8 to 10 day lag with their lag partner (which in my book is inexcusable)
    As an eternal optimist, I believe we will be far better off as a result of this crisis. Vaccines, serums, tests, PPEs in abundance, procedures, all will be in place prior to the next pandemic. Just have to get there first.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Weirdly enough, have yet to see a rat in any of my wandering of Washington, DC.
    Congress must be in session then

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Congress must be in session then
    Good one! You get the Post of the Day award.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Great opportunity to deploy night hunters with air guns to whittle down that breeding base!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread