+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prof's 53-man All-Time Bulldogs

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Prof's 53-man All-Time Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    The only year that Sports Reference has stats for Larry Anderson (1977), he had five interceptions and four return TDs. He's one of six players in Tech history with a 100-yard kickoff return, and he ranks second all-time in punt returns and punt return yardage. According to the media guide, he did not get 10 interceptions in his career, but he did have an 82-yard INT return in 1974 which ranks 6th in school history. He was first-team all-Southland in '76 and Defensive Player of the Year in '77. Seems like a big oversight on my part, though incomplete defensive stats did play a role in that.
    I mentioned Larry Anderson earlier in this thread. Sometimes stats can be misleading...this guy could play, as his years in the NFL attests to.

Tech played Sacramento State, the Golden Hornets, at Indy Stadium in, 1977, I think it was. Anderson took the opening kickoff back for TD and the Dawgs were off and winging to a 56-0 blowout!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quick 6 was great, and you could easily make an argument for him over Joe Smith. Since I was trying to build a roster and not just name the best players, I needed a big back who could play in short-yardage and spot at fullback.
    If you want to get specific at FB, then Roland Harper (ChiBears) had no peer.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yep! he blocked for "Sweetness" for the Bears.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

No FB if we're running Air Raid. And the TEs would probably have to be "inside WRs."

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I mentioned Larry Anderson earlier in this thread. Sometimes stats can be misleading...this guy could play, as his years in the NFL attests to.

Tech played Sacramento State, the Golden Hornets, at Indy Stadium in, 1977, I think it was. Anderson took the opening kickoff back for TD and the Dawgs were off and winging to a 56-0 blowout!
    Stats can be misleading, and in this case, a lack of stats can be misleading. I was admitting that I probably bungled this one, and part of that issue was a lack of information about Anderson's career (for a guy like me who wasn't born when he played). There's only one year of stats available online, though he played four years. It's definitely harder to do defensive guys (especially for guys who didn't rack up a lot of tackles, sacks or INTs).
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Definitely could have made the team in place of Joe Smith or Dennis Morris. I'd have no problem with that. I went with big RB and H-back over a traditional FB.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    No FB if we're running Air Raid. And the TEs would probably have to be "inside WRs."
    I went with more of an NFL philosphy in terms of personnel. A lot of 11 personnel, more 10 personnel than 12 or 21. But we would have plays with a FB, two TEs and a goal-line package.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I went with more of an NFL philosphy in terms of personnel. A lot of 11 personnel, more 10 personnel than 12 or 21. But we would have plays with a FB, two TEs and a goal-line package.
    With that kind of overall talent, and that line - that may be the way to go. It'd be really tempting to see what Tim Rattay and that group of WRs could do in a full-on Air Raid, in which case I'd probably swap Smith out for Scott and probably 2/3 of the TEs for depth elsewhere - at first I thought more WRs, but you might actually want more DEs to rotate if our defense is going to be on the field all the time (and with Rattay plus that group of WRs, I think we'll want plenty of depth on D even if we aren't necessarily trying to run at a quick tempo).

On the other hand, if Rattay goes down we'd be going vertical a lot more in the passing game and probably wanting a big back and some TEs to get that play-action game going.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

It's definitely harder to do defensive guys
    twss

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Excellent job on those picks, Professor!

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Prof:

Bobby Slaughter over Chad Mackey. Not even close. Slaughter was a third-team AP All-American his senior season. His 1989/90 highlight reel speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Prof:

Bobby Slaughter over Chad Mackey. Not even close. Slaughter was a third-team AP All-American his senior season. His 1989/90 highlight reel speaks for itself.
    Look, I didn't see either of these guys play so I'm missing the eye test. But Mackey's junior and senior seasons were better than any year that Slaughter had. Don't get me wrong. Slaughter was great. He was my final cut at receiver. But in his final two seasons Mackey had 175 catches for 2,719 yards and 19 TDs. Slaughter's three-year totals were 187 for 2,449 and 14. Mackey's career stats dwarf Slaughter's. Again, that's stats only. I have no eye test to go by.

It's a GREAT problem to have! Tech is also WR U! We have been blessed with dozens and dozens of great receivers for decade after decade.

Some years back I was watching a Big 10 game on TV and a WR set a career record for one of the schools. The numbers looked very pedestrian to me...so I did some checking. Yep! I don't remember the exact details but that Big 10 WR's stats would have placed him 87th all-time at Louisiana Tech, yet he was the all-time career leader at that school.

Here are just a few WRs I can remember off the top of my head who played here...

Tommy Spinks
    Rod Foppe
    Leland Pagent
    Mike Sherman
    James Jordan
    Lifford Jackson
    Delwyn Daigre
    D.J. Curry

More recently Carlos Henderson

and etc.... some of you could probably add a name to my list who I missed.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Cangelosi

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Look, I didn't see either of these guys play so I'm missing the eye test. But Mackey's junior and senior seasons were better than any year that Slaughter had. Don't get me wrong. Slaughter was great. He was my final cut at receiver. But in his final two seasons Mackey had 175 catches for 2,719 yards and 19 TDs. Slaughter's three-year totals were 187 for 2,449 and 14. Mackey's career stats dwarf Slaughter's. Again, that's stats only. I have no eye test to go by.
    ....There's an easy explanation for the statistical difference between Slaughter and Mackey. Mackey benefited from having Jason Martin at QB, while Slaughter didn't. In the mid 90's, Jason Martin literally rewrote the record book for LA Tech QB accomplishments. Up until that time, Tech fans hadn't seen a QB as statistically good as Martin. I think Martin is still ranked #3 on Tech's All-Time TD passing list, trailing only Rattay and McCown. Slaughter had Conroy Hines and Gene Johnson at QB. Good athletes and good people, but not statistically good QB's.

+ Reply to Thread