+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Prof's 53-man All-Time Bulldogs

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: Prof's 53-man All-Time Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....There's an easy explanation for the statistical difference between Slaughter and Mackey. Mackey benefited from having Jason Martin at QB, while Slaughter didn't. In the mid 90's, Jason Martin literally rewrote the record book for LA Tech QB accomplishments. Up until that time, Tech fans hadn't seen a QB as statistically good as Martin. I think Martin is still ranked #3 on Tech's All-Time TD passing list, trailing only Rattay and McCown. Slaughter had Conroy Hines and Gene Johnson at QB. Good athletes and good people, but not statistically good QB's.
    That's what makes some of this stuff so difficult when you start comparing stats from different eras. For example, take the Moats vs. Dixon debate. Who was the better RB? Dixon had a better four-year total vs. Moats' three years, especially when you consider the TD disparity. But how much of that is attributable to Moats playing for JBIII-Hines vs. Dixon having the Dykes-Franklin offense?

I remember watching two Tech football games before I enrolled in 2000, which is one of my biggest regrets in life, considering I lived in Ruston for a total of eight years between 1987 and 2000. My mom took me to the 1990 Independence Bowl (I was 8 at the time), and a couple of friends of mine and I went to watch Rattay when we were in high school. I don't even remember who they played, and it obviously wasn't a good enough experience that it got me back into the Joe before I became a student.

That said, I've seen every player who came through Ruston over the past 20 years. In my opinion, Dixon had the better career but Moats was the better player. His junior year was truly dominant, and if he had come back the following year, I believe he would have shattered every Tech record and become a late first- or early second-round pick. If he had been able to play in the same system that Dixon did, I can't imagine the numbers he would have put up.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....There's an easy explanation for the statistical difference between Slaughter and Mackey. Mackey benefited from having Jason Martin at QB, while Slaughter didn't. In the mid 90's, Jason Martin literally rewrote the record book for LA Tech QB accomplishments. Up until that time, Tech fans hadn't seen a QB as statistically good as Martin. I think Martin is still ranked #3 on Tech's All-Time TD passing list, trailing only Rattay and McCown. Slaughter had Conroy Hines and Gene Johnson at QB. Good athletes and good people, but not statistically good QB's.

I'll add to what HD posted. Mackey played in Crowton's system for two seasons. Slaughter didn't. We had a balanced attack under Steve Ensminger during Slaughter's time, while we threw the ball all day and all night under Crowton - when Mackey played. And as HD posted, Jason Martin was just better than Conroy, Gene, or Sam Hughes.

But as good a wide receiver as Chad was, Bobby could run circles around him. Bobby was an incredible route runner who made the spectacular catch seem routine. As I said, he was an AP All-American in 1990 along with Rocket Ismail, Herman Moore, Manny Hazard, Patrick Rowe, Wesley Carroll, Lawrence Dawsey, and Ed McCaffrey.

Bobby was that good.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

As some have mentioned, Bobby "good hands" Slaughter played in a balanced system. It was an even mix of run/pass. We had Michael Richardson, Derrick Douglas, Jason Davis at RBs and we used them a lot. And with good reason running behind a stellar OL.

As I already posted we have been blessed with a bunch of great WRs over a long time. The exact reason in my first post on this thread I mentioned "splitting hairs." Chad Mackey vs. Bobby Slaughter...which one would I take on my team if I had to choose? My answer is, "yes."

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Quick 6 McDaniels. Seems like he scored every time he touched the ball.
    I was going to mention him but you beat me to it.

+ Reply to Thread