+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Changing Face of College Athletics

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The Changing Face of College Athletics

This C-19 virus is shining a light on all sports in general, and college sports in particular. But, as we were seeing, there was already "trouble in paradise" brewing. Reduced attendance and push-back on coaches' salaries was already prominent. The growing consensus is college sports has gotten out of control. And now, without one of its primary events, a real showcase, March Madness, folks have found...hey! I can survive without it.

On a side note, but one I think is just the tip of the iceberg, the recently hired, brand new, one week on the job WBB coach at NSU has decided to stay where she was coming from. Citing concerns over relocating her family during this virus mess she has decided to stay put...at Jones College in Mississippi. You might say, well, that is just WBB at a non-descript school, no biggie! And besides, if not for this virus mess, she probably would have made the transition. Maybe. But she was quoted as citing what is really important to her: family, friends, stability in employment. Yeah, this is NOT a case of a football coach changing his mind on accepting a position at an SEC school...right. Still, I think we are just at the very beginning of a movement in a change of attitude toward college sports.

Why am I focusing on college sports? Simple...high school sports have been and will always be a very local loyalty matter and the kids who play don't really have a choice which school to attend. Their families and friends will support them, and thus that school, with their attendance, etc.. Pro sports is all about big money and that is primary driver. That might be tweaked, i.e. might not see the level of ridiculous salaries we've seen in the past because the franchises simply cannot afford it any longer. But college sports is in-between those two. The local, loyal support any college gets will remain, but it has never been enough to support the "arms' race" of bigger stadiums and facilities. Universities themselves are DINOSAURS living on borrowed time. They no longer serve the purpose for which they were established, and they have a lot of competition for their basic services without all the added fluff. Academics will rule the roost and athletics will become more and more expendable...for any university wishing to survive.

NO! I am not predicting drastic, wholesale changes anytime soon. This is just the very beginning of change that will take decades to play out. Let's see how the whole college sports' landscape looks in 2050. I bet it will look nothing like it does today.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Re: The Changing Face of College Athletics

I agree. Many of us may have already been done with college football due at least in part to reasons you listed, but not with Louisiana Tech Football. I have not missed a Bulldog football game in years - at all home games, many road games, and on TV or radio if not at a road game. However, I really haven’t watched a handful of non-Bulldog games in several years. It is sad to think the success of a top-tier university could be linked to the success of its athletic teams, but in reality it, more often than not, is linked. I believe the end of that phenomenon would be a good thing.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: The Changing Face of College Athletics

Good post, dawg80. I believe it is way past time for a major shake-up in college athletics. And, no, I don’t mean paying players more.

+ Reply to Thread