+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Closed Primary

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Closed Primary

I like what our new Governor is trying to do right off the bat. We've needed this since I was a youngster. The latest glaring example of open primary disfunction is two terms of the idiot leftist John Bel. When Cassidy came out against it, it showed that he is really a democrat, but gets to claim Republican.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Closed Primary

The Republicans just swept every major office in the state. I have no issue with a closed primary but seems to me when good people take an interest and actually get out and vote, good things happen.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The Republicans just swept every major office in the state. I have no issue with a closed primary but seems to me when good people take an interest and actually get out and vote, good things happen.
    Liberals/Blacks didn't have anybody to vote for in the governor's race. They didn't turn out and that is what won it for the Republicans in the "sweep" you mentioned.

We need good people running head to head. We are losing good people because the field gets watered down.

Having a closed primary is vital to conservatives who actually care. Edwin Edwards saw this when he forced it through in 1975 after almost losing.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just got a text message from someone using the name "Andrew" asking me to support an effort to thwart the Republicans "racist" attempt to introduce closed primaries. This Andrew person claims this will disenfranchise 97% of black voters. Of course, Andrew asked for a donation to help with his cause. Probably just a money-grab, because even goofy democraps know what a closed primary will do in Louisiana politics. It will no more affect black, dem voters than it will any other demographic group. If you are a registered dem you vote for a dem, a registered Republican, you vote for a (R) and either can vote for whomever they want in the general election. In Louisiana, that's exactly how the presidential election is conducted.

I was lukewarm on the move toward closed primaries, but this kind of race-baiting just pisses me off, so I am now 100% behind going to closed primaries in ALL elections across Louisiana. Well...except, this means we will all have to register with one of the two major parties, else we couldn't vote at all in any primary. Maybe just statewide elections should have the closed primary system: president, governor, all the cabinet positions, and senators.

The only reply Andrew got from me was a stinging rebuke to take his asinine race-baiting elsewhere.

We are one of the few states with the jungle primary. There have been dozens of elections during my life as a voter that cost us democrat leadership...

Edwin Edwards at least one time and J.B. Edwards two times. It also cost us multiple terms of Mary Landrieu and John Breaux. No way that Cassidy could get the GOP majority vote in a closed primary.

What we really need is to clean up the Louisiana legislature. This would stop the party change crap they've been doing for the past 15 or more years. It would also allow new comers to come into the races for state senate and representative seats.

+ Reply to Thread