+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This Date in History

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: This Date in History

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    you know it’s still very radioactive.
    That's not what I hear, and/or have read about it. The radiation is long gone. That's my understanding. I have seen videos posted on a blog I follow by members who have dived the wrecks. They say it is perfectly safe. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are perfectly safe and have been since about 1948 or so.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    That's not what I hear, and/or have read about it. The radiation is long gone. That's my understanding. I have seen videos posted on a blog I follow by members who have dived the wrecks. They say it is perfectly safe. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are perfectly safe and have been since about 1948 or so.
    Some of the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean — such as the Bikini and Enewetak atolls — are still more radioactive than Chernobyl and Fukushima, even though more than 60 years have passed since the United States tested radioactive weapons on those islands, a new study finds.
    When testing the soil for plutonium-239 and -240, the researchers found that some of the islands had levels that were between 10 and 1,000 times higher than those on Fukushima (where an earthquake and tsunami led to the meltdown of nuclear reactors) and about 10 times higher than levels in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. I don’t know about the ocean but just something to consider . The Great Barrier Reef is more appealing to me.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Fallout continued for about 4 months, by January, 1946 the air was safe in those two cities. Radiation lingered in the soil and water and some other materials until about 1948, although not all of it at lethal levels.

As for the wrecks at Bikini, divers have been going down for years, and apparently safely. There are videos on YouTube of such dives. And, as I mentioned, some folks on a blog I am on have stated they have dived the wrecks with zero health consequences. I have an inner ear thing, so I am not ever going to dive those wrecks, or any others. But, for my own interest, I will do some more research on it.

August 10, 1945 Japan surrenders. Happy VJ Day!

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    you know it’s still very radioactive.
    Wreck diving at Bikini is fine. There natives that were relocated, tried to come back in late 70's to the island, but the vegetation and water still contains too high level of radiation for long term exposure or to live there. A small group rotates staying on the islands to maintain them today which is ok since all water and food are brought in when they arrive. Biggest obstacle for me is the 10K price tag to go on the trip. I also would have to take more dive training in order to make that type of a dive.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

August 10, 1945 Japan surrenders. Happy VJ Day!
    True that.

Thanks for the remembrance.

Forgot to mention that August 10, 2019 was the day that Jeffrey Epstein did NOT kill himself. (has it really been a year already? sheeesh!)

Today...

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

today...
    i still remember.

September 24, 1620 the Pilgrims set sail from Plymouth, England headed for the new world. It's the 400th anniversary. Little did they know their daring, arduous journey would cause little snowflake, pizzant libtards so much grief four centuries later...

And, what is really remarkable is how they departed from a place named Plymouth and landed at a place named Plymouth, talk about luck, eh!

On this date, November 8, 1970...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrxTjgFYoU8

I was there. Wow, what a moment.

September 24, 1620 the Pilgrims set sail from Plymouth, England headed for the new world. It's the 400th anniversary. Little did they know their daring, arduous journey would cause little snowflake, pizzant libtards so much grief four centuries later...

And, what is really remarkable is how they departed from a place named Plymouth and landed at a place named Plymouth, talk about luck, eh!
    On this date, November 9, 1620, the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. Well, actually, they named it that!

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

With a load of iron ore, 26,000tons more than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty

RIP to the 29 sailors who lost their lives 45 years ago today.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post
    With a load of iron ore, 26,000tons more than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty

Very interesting story. Hard to imagine seas rough enough to break her in half...if that is really what happened.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDog View Post

Good catch right there 🍻

+ Reply to Thread