+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropping college sports

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Dropping college sports

University of Cincinnati said today it is dropping its' mens soccer team, citing Covid-19. I wonder if other schools will follow to cut back their budgets?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Dropping college sports

ODU dropped wrestling - but that was already in the works.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

@PeteThamel: NEW: @YahooSports obtained a letter from Group of 5 Commissioners to NCAA President Mark Emmert asking for "temporary relief from several regulatory (NCAA) requirements for a period of up to 4 years." Among them are sports sponsorships minimums, which hints at more sports cuts.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Started a thread on the changing face of college sports...

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Bet they come back as a womens bowling team in 4 years. Cheaper to run. Easier to satisfy D1 AND Title 9 compliance. On that note, your little girls should be in youth bowling. We put several girls a year on scholarships at a variety of colleges in this state. Not only that, we even had a kid from Baton Rouge get a scholarship to a top tier mens bowling program in Florida.

On the side, our womens bowling team finished #11 and we had the national rookie of the year. Future is bright.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

For the immediate future it all depends on college football this season. If games are missed or played without fans at the games, revenues will be off and the other sports will suffer. One silver lining is this might cause the football playoffs to expand to 8 or 16 teams to increase revenues. Silver lining to those who would like too see more teams included.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Club sports are great!

I was on Tech's club soccer team. It definitely has its advantages over being under the NCAA. Club sports are administered by NIRSA, a national organization that provides "rules" and also provides for national tournaments to determine national champions in various sports. Our best run in the national tourney (the Big Dance) was 1979 when we reached the Elite 8, before losing to Georgia 4-1. The Final Four that year, held in Birmingham, Alabama had UGA, Ohio State, BYU, and Florida State. BYU won it all. I also coached NSU's club soccer team for 9 years, 1988 - 1997. And then again from 2002-2004.

Maxie Lambright helped us with some funding to offset expenses, as did the SGA, since we were a sanctioned club on campus. But together those accounted for less than half of our expenses, so the rest came from our own pockets and an occasional donation. To me, it is the purest form of athletics. You do it because you LOVE it! For the sheer joy of playing and of representing your school. We were good! And when we played in tourneys from Dallas, to Illinois, to Mobile, to Florida, and in the national tourney, teams knew us. Still have one of my jerseys...that I cannot even think of fitting into anymore!

Point is...NIRSA and club sports represent a sensible alternative to the waaaaaaaaay too expensive NCAA sanctioned route. Universities can provide some financial support as they are officially sanctioned clubs on campus, as I mentioned.

Oh, and I should mention, in 1980 when Tech needed two more sports to meet the criteria to remain Division I, sponsoring 13 varisty sports, they came to us and to water polo, which was also a club sport at Tech. We agreed to make the leap to help our school. Mike Kane, of baseball, was named the official coach since he was an employee of the AD already. But he knew nothing about soccer, so he was an administrator, and we basically coached ourselves. I played two semesters under that setup. Our spring and then fall season.

Tech men's soccer reverted back to club status a couple of years later.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I think it will be and I think the NFL will play this coming spring
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I think it will be and I think the NFL will play this coming spring
    Praying for that vaccine! I hope you are not correct- don't doubt it, just hope you are wrong. Of course I am sure you hope so too!

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    @PeteThamel: NEW: @YahooSports obtained a letter from Group of 5 Commissioners to NCAA President Mark Emmert asking for "temporary relief from several regulatory (NCAA) requirements for a period of up to 4 years." Among them are sports sponsorships minimums, which hints at more sports cuts.
    I read about this letter. I think it offers much more than a hint at cutting sports. The G5 commissioners are letting us know if football provides lower revenues this fall other sports will have to be cut.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    I read about this letter. I think it offers much more than a hint at cutting sports. The G5 commissioners are letting us know if football provides lower revenues this fall other sports will have to be cut.
    Title IX on steroids is what we are about to see. Some schools will be forced to cut Men's Track & Field, Men's Golf, and Baseball if they have it. I don't think we'll see any female sports cut. That wouldn't be fair.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Praying for that vaccine! I hope you are not correct- don't doubt it, just hope you are wrong. Of course I am sure you hope so too!
    I do too -

But I just don't see them opening campuses by Sept 1

I don't think public schools in LA will re-open till after Jan 1

Even though I personally think alot of this is way over blown and I have a spouse who is on the front lines and primary care provider and I am a parish administrator

Basketball and football should be the last two sports kick started

Baseball, softball and golf are pretty much non contact

And the question no one is answering - who will have the money to throw away on sporting events now?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Started a thread on the changing face of college sports...
    I agree with your conclusion that the college sports landscape will look much different in 2050. But I would argue college sports would look much different in 2050, even without Covid-19. Just like if you look back thirty years the college sports landscape looks much different.

I am not so sure about drastic, wholesale changes not happening anytime soon. If the NCAA appeases the G5 commissioners and ease sponsorship requirements; non- or low-revenue sports will be greatly impacted, if football is not played this fall or revenues are off in a significant manner. Schools may field a football team, mens basketball team and the appropriate womens sports to satisfy Title 9 obligations. That would be drastic to those involved.

One thing talked about is playing games without fans. That would also be crushing as school would lose ticket sales, concession sales, merchandise sales, athletic fund fees and donations. College football drives and funds college athletics. Let's hope we see a season in front of live fans.

+ Reply to Thread