+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dropping college sports

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Dropping college sports

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    This will be brutal for the lower tier P5 schools and the 5 schools that swallowed too much debt. Some of these schools got way out over their skies with athletic foundation debt and it is about to be a wake up call for these universities.
    Which is why I am fairly certain we are headed for a spring college football season. Not only can LSU, Alabama, etc... not afford to play in the fall in empty stadiums, schools like ULL, Houston, Colorado State, etc...can't afford to either.

In any case, a football season is going to have to be played.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Which is why I am fairly certain we are headed for a spring college football season. Not only can LSU, Alabama, etc... not afford to play in the fall in empty stadiums, schools like ULL, Houston, Colorado State, etc...can't afford to either.

In any case, a football season is going to have to be played.
    lsu and Alabama do not care if ULL, Houston, Colorado State, etc, even have universities.

I'm afraid of a "well, we'll play to pay our bills but you can't" scenario.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    lsu and Alabama do not care if ULL, Houston, Colorado State, etc, even have universities.

I'm afraid of a "well, we'll play to pay our bills but you can't" scenario.
    I used LSU and Alabama as examples on the P5 level, because many are surprised just how much debt the athletic departments at those schools are carrying. I used ULL and the others as examples for the same reasons.

ULL is carrying more than $30 million in debt with more than $50 million in debt service payments over the next 27 years. Colorado State is carrying more than $200 million in debt. Houston is carrying more than $150 million in debt.

As I said, we're going to have a college football season.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

TMAC says it will be more expensive to add a sport or sports back in in 4 years versus just keeping them going. How does he know that? What is he basing that on? Has he ever done that?

If a sport is put on the shelf for 4 years, then every dollar that would have gone into that sport, coaches' salaries and all other expenses can be deposited into an account (interest bearing albeit that would not be much). As an example, let's say Tech has mountain climbing and is currently spending $200K on it annually. In 4 years there would be $800K+ sitting in account ready to restart the program. And if things have changed such that the program was not going to be restarted, then that $800K+ could be allocated elsewhere.

And ya mean to tell me that a savings of $800K over 4 years (in my made-up scenario) would not cover the restart in 4 years? A $200K/year sport in 2020 will cost what, a $1 million+ to restart in 2024? That's what he's saying.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    TMAC says it will be more expensive to add a sport or sports back in in 4 years versus just keeping them going. How does he know that? What is he basing that on? Has he ever done that?

If a sport is put on the shelf for 4 years, then every dollar that would have gone into that sport, coaches' salaries and all other expenses can be deposited into an account (interest bearing albeit that would not be much). As an example, let's say Tech has mountain climbing and is currently spending $200K on it annually. In 4 years there would be $800K+ sitting in account ready to restart the program. And if things have changed such that the program was not going to be restarted, then that $800K+ could be allocated elsewhere.

And ya mean to tell me that a savings of $800K over 4 years (in my made-up scenario) would not cover the restart in 4 years? A $200K/year sport in 2020 will cost what, a $1 million+ to restart in 2024? That's what he's saying.
    To use your numbers, more that likely the $200K saved gets diverted to support the major sports and is spent none the less.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

You don't have to have done it before to do the math. When I heard that statement, I shock my head as it doesn't pass the simple math test. There just can't be a ton of upfront cost to start a team back up. However, for men's teams where the athlete in not on full scholarship, the potential lost universtiy tuition and affiliated revenue, assuming the athlete transfers or quits college can be an important factor.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Tech sports sponsored for both men and women:
    Cross-country, Indoor track and field, Outdoor track and field, Basketball

Comparable sports:
    Baseball (men)/Softball (women)

That's leaves football and golf for men. And it leaves volleyball, soccer, bowling, and tennis for women.

Scholarship limits on the five identical/comparable sports are 37.3 for men and 45 for women.
    Scholarship limits on the other two men's sports are 89.5 and 39 for the other four women's sports.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Tech sports sponsored for both men and women:
    Cross-country, Indoor track and field, Outdoor track and field, Basketball
    Interesting. Four sports that share scholarships? Are there any additional scholarships for either indoor or outdoor? I never considered that indoor and outdoor were separate sports.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Interesting. Four sports that share scholarships? Are there any additional scholarships for either indoor or outdoor? I never considered that indoor and outdoor were separate sports.
    I know, right? Seems to me if you can run fast and throw something far on the OUTSIDE, you should be able to do the same thing INSIDE.

Bulldog DiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to all DiamondDawg36's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I know, right? Seems to me if you can run fast and throw something far on the OUTSIDE, you should be able to do the same thing INSIDE.
    Where does cross country fall in this also? I thought it was considered separate as well from indoor and outdoor.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDawg36 View Post
    Where does cross country fall in this also? I thought it was considered separate as well from indoor and outdoor.
    Very different sport IMO.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The full list of scholarship limits for Tech's sports:

Men
    Football 85 (head-count)
    Golf 4.5 (equivalency)
    Basketball 13 (head-count)
    Baseball 11.7 (equivalency)
    Cross Country/Indoor Track/Outdoor Track 12.6 (equivalency)

Women
    Soccer 14 (equivalency)
    Bowling 5 (equivalency)
    Volleyball 12 (head-count)
    Tennis 8 (head-count)
    Basketball 15 (head-count)
    Softball 12 (equivalency)
    Cross Country/Indoor Track/Outdoor Track 18 (equivalency)

Men get 5 and women get 6 if Cross Country is sponsored without Track and Field.

Head-count sports are limited to the total number of counters. Equivalency sports get scholarships divided.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

15 WBB scholarships- how long has that been the rule. That could have factored in our downward spiral

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

UCONN president clarifies remarks about fall sports likely being cancelled.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2887889-uconn-president-clarifies-remarks-about-fall-sports-cancellation-due-to-covid-19

I hope this guy is just a nut.

+ Reply to Thread