+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: George Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    You made that up. That is your own strawman.
    Nope, every time a logical person points out differences between men and women the left says, “no, no, you can’t do that.”

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Nope, every time a logical person points out differences between men and women the left says, “no, no, you can’t do that.”
    What exactly are you taking about?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Strawman seems to be code for, “I got nothing to come back with”

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Strawman seems to be code for, “I got nothing to come back with”
    “Strawman” means that you created a simpler argument to defeat because you are choosing to not argue against the real position.

If your argument is directed to the strawman, then it might seem compelling because the strawman is so easy to defeat, but the strawman is also not the real issue.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Like gun control freaks arguing we should just get rid of guns instead of encouraging the strengthening of the nuclear family.

Like gun control freaks arguing we should just get rid of guns instead of encouraging the strengthening of the nuclear family.
    You just made the strawman again. Those aren’t the only two alternatives nor are they mutually exclusive. There are plenty of gun control strawman arguments, on both sides.

But look at the highest percentage of contributing factors in deadly crime. It’s the absence of a daddy. If it more impactful than other factors, is is really a straw man?

But look at the highest percentage of contributing factors in deadly crime. It’s the absence of a daddy. If it more impactful than other factors, is is really a straw man?
    The strawman was that the options provided were the only two options available or that you couldn’t do both. You have both misexplained what mainstream gun control advocates support (strawman) and presented a false dilemma. That is two argument fallacies in one sentence. They should hire you for prime time on FoxNews!

Sorry, I don’t have much experience with this straw man discussion. I just deal with actual problems and common sense solutions.

Sorry, I don’t have much experience with this straw man discussion. I just deal with actual problems and common sense solutions.
    You engage in strawman arguments all the time on here. It is always easier to argue against an opponent’s argument that you construct in such a way that it is weaker. But that isn’t actually arguing against what is being said. If you have to make the other’s argument something that it isn’t so you can argue against it, you might just be on the wrong side of the argument.

So what percentage of murders were committed by people that grew up without fathers?

A quick google search

http://www.rochesterareafatherhoodne...org/statistics

I am not doing your homework for you. There are been many sources that have argued the point. I have read them, heard them, and watched them. No I can’t direct you straight to them.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

If your opponent would disagree with your summary of their argument, you’re probably straw manning.

A quick google search

http://www.rochesterareafatherhoodne...org/statistics

I am not doing your homework for you. There are been many sources that have argued the point. I have read them, heard them, and watched them. No I can’t direct you straight to them.
    Your stats say 43% of juvenile offenders are from single mom homes and that 42% of children in the US live in homes without a father.

If you suggest that strengthening families solves gun crime, I was just curious what data you were looking at to inform your judgment.

I could show you are chart showing violent crime actually decreasing while the rate of single motherhood was increasing as well.

Suffice it to say, strengthening the family doesn’t entirely solve the problem and based on the stats it doesn’t even appear that it would solve half the problem.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    “Strawman” means that you created a simpler argument to defeat because you are choosing to not argue against the real position.

If your argument is directed to the strawman, then it might seem compelling because the strawman is so easy to defeat, but the strawman is also not the real issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    If your opponent would disagree with your summary of their argument, you’re probably straw manning.
    Yeah, I know what it is supposed to mean. I also notice who uses the term often.

Mr Lefty says blacks deserve special treatment.

I say equal treatment not based on skin color.

Mr. Lefty says blacks won't be treated equally based on "studies" so we MUST give them special treatment.

I find studies that prove him wrong.

Mr. Lefty says I am straw manning.

+ Reply to Thread