+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving To Austin, TX

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Moving To Austin, TX

To all the Texas Dawgs:

I am in the process of accepting a job offer with the VA Technology Acquisition Center in Austin. I’m not familiar with the area, but it looks like it is located on the south side of Austin. Any suggestions on where to look for a home? I’m OK with a commute but from what I can tell the traffic can be a concern.

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and is currently looking for employment down there, too. We were thinking about looking for a place that gives us access to both Austin and San Antonio in case she winds up working in SA. Anybody out there with some medical hookups, we would welcome help with her job search, too.

Dawgyinmiami (Soon to change &#128514

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Moving To Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgyinmiami View Post
    To all the Texas Dawgs:

I am in the process of accepting a job offer with the VA Technology Acquisition Center in Austin. I’m not familiar with the area, but it looks like it is located on the south side of Austin. Any suggestions on where to look for a home? I’m OK with a commute but from what I can tell the traffic can be a concern.

My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and is currently looking for employment down there, too. We were thinking about looking for a place that gives us access to both Austin and San Antonio in case she winds up working in SA. Anybody out there with some medical hookups, we would welcome help with her job search, too.

Dawgyinmiami (Soon to change )
    I know you asked our Texas Dawgs, but I've spent a ton of time in that area with work.

San Marcos, home of Texas State University, is almost halfway between Austin and SA...about 45 miles to SA, 40-ish to Austin. It's a nice city that has grown A TON because of it's central location. If you want to get a little closer to Austin, there are 2 up and coming communities along I-35, Kyle and Buda (pronounced "Byoo-da) heading north from San Marcos. They're both nice suburbs on the south side of ATX, with good schools and lots of growth. If you want to be a little closer to SA, but not super far from Austin, New Braunfels is a cool little town. New Braunfels is about 30 miles from SA and about 50 (an hour-ish drive) to Austin. If your business is on the southside of Austin, probably doesn't take that long...maybe 45 minutes?

Hope that helps...and yes, traffic is getting busier all the time. That area is one of the fastest growing regions in the country.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I spend a lot of time there for work and one of my sons works there too. With the new toll way, living in Kyle or Bastrop is less expensive and a VERY easy commute. When everything opens back up, just avoid 1-35.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Thanks for the info so far. Y’all are pointing out places we’ve been considering. We just don’t know much at all about the are. We just know it’s time to get out of Utah. :-)

We’ve kind of come to the conclusion that we’re probably going to rent for a little while and do a thorough search of the area before making a decision on where to plant ourselves. It’s really going to depend on where my wife winds up getting a job since mine is locked up at this point.

Varsity Bulldog dawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the rough dawgbytes's Avatar

I live on the outskirts of New Braunfels. Really cool area, lots to do, great for families. Happy to answer any question.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    I know you asked our Texas Dawgs, but I've spent a ton of time in that area with work.

San Marcos, home of Texas State University, is almost halfway between Austin and SA...about 45 miles to SA, 40-ish to Austin. It's a nice city that has grown A TON because of it's central location. If you want to get a little closer to Austin, there are 2 up and coming communities along I-35, Kyle and Buda (pronounced "Byoo-da) heading north from San Marcos. They're both nice suburbs on the south side of ATX, with good schools and lots of growth. If you want to be a little closer to SA, but not super far from Austin, New Braunfels is a cool little town. New Braunfels is about 30 miles from SA and about 50 (an hour-ish drive) to Austin. If your business is on the southside of Austin, probably doesn't take that long...maybe 45 minutes?

Hope that helps...and yes, traffic is getting busier all the time. That area is one of the fastest growing regions in the country.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgyinmiami View Post
    To all the Texas Dawgs:

Dawgyinmiami (Soon to change &#128514
    How far up into Austin is your new place of work? The commute into Austin can be a bear, and it tends to stay that way for a good bit of the morning (7-10 or so). If they'd ever finish I-35 (ha!), it might get better. I'd tend to agree that Kyle and Buda sound like a better fit for you, but if your wife is going to end up going toward SA, she'd probably appreciate San Marcos.

I live north of Austin (Temple), so I'm not as up on the individual neighborhoods down that way. Do know someone who lives in San Marcos if you want me to ask about specific areas.

+ Reply to Thread