+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Un-elected entities and taxes...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Un-elected entities and taxes...

If any of you care to comment...

I am sure this true across the state, but I know only of these here in Natchitoches Parish. The NRMC (hospital), the Levee Board, the Cane River Waterway Commission, all parish-wide, and some others within districts, all have the power to raise property taxes. All these entities were established by the parish government, formerly the Police Jury, and now the Parish Council, of which I represent a district. But, after being lawfully established, said entities have the right to seat their own governing boards and among their power is the authority to raise property taxes via "rolling forward" millage rates every 4 years. It seems to me, that if said boards vote to raise the taxes they would then need to secure the approval of the parish governing body (all elected) by presenting an argument for it in an open, public forum. As it stands now, said boards make a public announcement of their pending meeting, with the agenda, and just meet and vote. Oh sure, the public can show up at said meetings and voice concerns, but very few people do given the usual short-notice and time and location of the meetings. On the agenda for this next Levee Board meeting is 1) raise taxes, 2) give pay raises to all employees and BOARD MEMBERS, hello!

It's not just in DC and Baton Rouge where we have "issues" with guvmint....

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Un-elected entities and taxes...

They do have to come to the Board or it's a suggestion?
    What is the timeframe from notification to vote?
    Only the Board votes and the tax is passed and implemented? Or is there a next step?
    Does the Board have rule about raises only coming into affect with the next sitting board (like Congresses rule)?

+ Reply to Thread