+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Lewis

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

John Lewis

The long-time representative from Georgia’s fifth district reminded us today:

"59 years ago today I was released from Parchman Farm Penitentiary after being arrested in Jackson, MS for using a so-called 'white' restroom during the Freedom Rides of 1961.”

Amazing. That wasn’t THAT long ago. We’ve made a lot of progress, but still some work to put in.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    The long-time representative from Georgia’s fifth district reminded us today:

"59 years ago today I was released from Parchman Farm Penitentiary after being arrested in Jackson, MS for using a so-called 'white' restroom during the Freedom Rides of 1961.”

Amazing. That wasn’t THAT long ago. We’ve made a lot of progress, but still some work to put in.
    Is that experience responsible for Lewis being a race baiting POS?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I experienced segregation. Had a bunch of experiences with it, but one that stands out in my memory was at our family doctor's office. The building had two entrances, marked on the doors, that opened into separate waiting rooms...even though all patients, black or white, saw the same doctor and nurses. In between the two waiting rooms was a half wall, going up about 4-5 feet and on top of that was a large aquarium, which could be viewed from both sides. I stood on the couch to afford myself a good look at the fish. As I was watching the fish I suddenly noticed a black face on the other side, a young boy about my age, 5 or 6 years old. He was watching the fish too. We made eye contact and waved at each other. That went on for a good 10 minutes until his mother summoned him to go sit down. For years I never understood why he and his family were in the other room.

I attended OLPH (Our Lady of Perpetual Help) Catholic grammar school, in Kenner, kindergarten to 3rd grade, before we switched to the brand new school closer to our house. While in the 3rd grade, a black family enrolled their kids there. They were one older boy, 6th grade, and his younger brother, who was in the 3rd with me, and had a sister, 1st grade. No one wanted to be friends with "the black boy," or maybe they were just afraid to. So, I befriended him. Don't remember his name, but slowly, like at recess, the other boys began to accept him, like when we played a game of touch football.

The whole segregation thing is like a dream now...I sometimes ask myself if it were real. Did it actually happen, did I actually experience that part of our history? Yes...I did.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Is that experience responsible for Lewis being a race baiting POS?
    Interesting response.

Not propping him up, but walk a mile in that man’s shoes.

Have you ever served time for where you’ve pissed?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting response.

Not propping him up, but walk a mile in that man’s shoes.

Have you ever served time for where you’ve pissed?
    Nope.

He started out supporting a good cause, then like most he sold out.

Nope.

He started out supporting a good cause, then like most he sold out.
    True that. Most of Congress does. Each will sell a soul to fundraise which lends power.

It is interesting to consider, though, that in 2020(!), there’s still a person in Congress that was arrested for the color of his skin.

Agree?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

True that. Most of Congress does. Each will sell a soul to fundraise which lends power.

It is interesting to consider, though, that in 2020(!), there’s still a person in Congress that was arrested for the color of his skin.

Agree?
    No. Just another reason there should be term limits for Congress.

Agree?
    Totally irrelevant to anything happening now.

Totally irrelevant to anything happening now.
    Really?

In 2020 there is still a person in the US Congress that was arrested because of the color of his skin.

I find it amazing. I guess you might see it as par for the course.

I see it as someone being in Congress too long...TERM LIMITS!

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Really?

In 2020 there is still a person in the US Congress that was arrested because of the color of his skin.

I find it amazing. I guess you might see it as par for the course.
    seems strange that you would draw that conclusion. we all know that stuff used to happen, and when it did. history won't change. maybe it's a reminder that those times are in the not-too-distant past, but it says absolutely nothing about 2020. it certainly shouldn't amaze anyone unless they are just now learning about it for the first time. it certainly does say something about 2020 that someone is accused of thinking it "par for the course" for pointing out an obvious fact.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    seems strange that you would draw that conclusion. we all know that stuff used to happen, and when it did. history won't change. maybe it's a reminder that those times are in the not-too-distant past, but it says absolutely nothing about 2020. it certainly shouldn't amaze anyone unless they are just now learning about it for the first time. it certainly does say something about 2020 that someone is accused of thinking it "par for the course" for pointing out an obvious fact.
    Perhaps your statement sums up my intended meaning better than I typed it myself.

maybe it's a reminder that those times are in the not-too-distant past

Not too distant past, indeed.

And, I’d bank a lot of folks do not know that story...

I was not intending to be dismissive, but the fact is, it is completely relevant to this day and age.

Like I’ve said previously, I was sure I’d have a flying car by 2020. Mildly disappointing.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Perhaps your statement sums up my intended meaning better than I typed it myself.

maybe it's a reminder that those times are in the not-too-distant past

Not too distant past, indeed.

And, I’d bank a lot of folks do not know that story...

I was not intending to be dismissive, but the fact is, it is completely relevant to this day and age.

Like I’ve said previously, I was sure I’d have a flying car by 2020. Mildly disappointing.
    perhaps you can explain what is amazing about it and how it is relevant rather than making unfounded accusations.

unfortunately, those types of accusations are par for the course in 2020, and they don't help to convince anyone to change their mind.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post

unfortunately, those types of accusations are par for the course in 2020, and they don't help to convince anyone to change their mind.
    Tell me about it! Just this morning I was called a "libtard", said to be a far leftists, and my wife's fidelity was called into question. Right here on THE BBB. It's no sweat though. I lot of folks have keyboard courage and they're little lambs in person.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

If the shoe fits...

Like, I can be, and usually am a "little lamb in person" (although I doubt that was aimed at me ). So? If not that then what are you...just another thug who attacks everyone you come in contact with? Wow! some on here really are violent! Not me though. If I never kill another person the rest of my life, accidentally or on purpose, that is fine by me. I don't want to take a life. But, don't mistake that for my unwillingness to defend myself, my family, my country...

+ Reply to Thread