+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Kelly

Hybrid View

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Joe Kelly

Alright baseball peeps - what do you think about this suspension? I haven't played since t-ball and have therefore always been a little out of the loop on the unwritten rules/norms of baseball (I've always thought the uproars over bat-flips or staring at home runs or whatever way overblown and puzzling).

If they suspended him over the inside pitches only based on his history - I'd get that. But it seems they suspended him for making "you're a big baby" faces. I mean, that's arguably pretty childish, but is it something that should earn a suspension?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: Joe Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Alright baseball peeps - what do you think about this suspension? I haven't played since t-ball and have therefore always been a little out of the loop on the unwritten rules/norms of baseball (I've always thought the uproars over bat-flips or staring at home runs or whatever way overblown and puzzling).

If they suspended him over the inside pitches only based on his history - I'd get that. But it seems they suspended him for making "you're a big baby" faces. I mean, that's arguably pretty childish, but is it something that should earn a suspension?
    maybe the taunting made it undeniable that he was aiming for their heads on purpose? seems like that's sufficient for a suspension. also, speaking as an astros fan, he should be making the "you're a big baby" faces at all the people (himself included) that are still crying about the astros getting caught doing the same thing literally every team does.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    maybe the taunting made it undeniable that he was aiming for their heads on purpose? seems like that's sufficient for a suspension. also, speaking as an astros fan, he should be making the "you're a big baby" faces at all the people (himself included) that are still crying about the astros getting caught doing the same thing literally every team does.
    For reals!!!! It is a whole lot of the pot calling the kettle black.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

You know sign stealing in baseball is legal? What the Astros did was deemed illegal. As far as the suspension, way overboard. 8 games in a 60 game season, that's 13.33% of the season. Equal to 21.6 games in a normal 162 game regular season. You see this year baseball is only playing 60 games this year in response to covid 19. Manfred (MLB commissioner) did say MLB was going to drop the hammer on any team punishing the Astros for cheating, since he gave them a pass on cheating. I think Bill Belichick (he is also a cheater) must be a consultant for the Astros.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    You know sign stealing in baseball is legal? What the Astros did was deemed illegal. As far as the suspension, way overboard. 8 games in a 60 game season, that's 13.33% of the season. Equal to 21.6 games in a normal 162 game regular season. You see this year baseball is only playing 60 games this year in response to covid 19. Manfred (MLB commissioner) did say MLB was going to drop the hammer on any team punishing the Astros for cheating, since he gave them a pass on cheating. I think Bill Belichick (he is also a cheater) must be a consultant for the Astros.
    you're making my point for me. the thing the astros did was arbitrarily deemed to be illegal -- it's not even technically against the rules!
    don't get me wrong: i still feel like it's cheating, i hate that the astros did it, and i'm glad they got caught. i just get bothered by the holier-than-thou attitude of other teams' players and fans. they do the same thing -- they're just mad the astros found a better way!

intentionally throwing at a player's head, on the other hand, is borderline attempted assault, and the league should punish it accordingly.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

you're making my point for me. the thing the astros did was arbitrarily deemed to be illegal -- it's not even technically against the rules!
    don't get me wrong: i still feel like it's cheating, i hate that the astros did it, and i'm glad they got caught. i just get bothered by the holier-than-thou attitude of other teams' players and fans. they do the same thing -- they're just mad the astros found a better way!

intentionally throwing at a player's head, on the other hand, is borderline attempted assault, and the league should punish it accordingly.

It is going forward, MLB now has the Houston Astericks rule. A lot men, at some point in their professional careers or lives, are faced with the dilemma of doing something that while maybe not exactly illegal it is no doubt immoral, the Astericks went beyond the line of immorality. You would admit to that. Stealing a sign while on second base is one thing, what it looks like the Astros did is quite another. And I don't think the Astericks were the only ones to think of this, only they were willing to cross that line or at least get caught (along with the Red Sox). The punishment, still too firm in my opinion, but RM warned all teams before the season the Astericks weren't to be touched.

Speaking of which did you see the action this weekend? The Astericks hitting coach was barking at the A's batter who was upset at getting hit two at bats in a row (three times in the series) and challenged the A's hitter to come after him. The A's batter charged the whole dugout. Of course, the Astericks hitting coach stepped back and let the players decide the matter.

Please don't be upset about the whole Houston Astericks thing. I also type Barry Bonds* and Mark McGwire*. LOL. At least we do not have to endure the whole banging of garbage cans this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    It is going forward, MLB now has the Houston Astericks rule. A lot men, at some point in their professional careers or lives, are faced with the dilemma of doing something that while maybe not exactly illegal it is no doubt immoral, the Astericks went beyond the line of immorality. You would admit to that. Stealing a sign while on second base is one thing, what it looks like the Astros did is quite another. And I don't think the Astericks were the only ones to think of this, only they were willing to cross that line or at least get caught (along with the Red Sox). The punishment, still too firm in my opinion, but RM warned all teams before the season the Astericks weren't to be touched.

Speaking of which did you see the action this weekend? The Astericks hitting coach was barking at the A's batter who was upset at getting hit two at bats in a row (three times in the series) and challenged the A's hitter to come after him. The A's batter charged the whole dugout. Of course, the Astericks hitting coach stepped back and let the players decide the matter.

Please don't be upset about the whole Houston Astericks thing. I also type Barry Bonds* and Mark McGwire*. LOL. At least we do not have to endure the whole banging of garbage cans this year.
    Hitting coach for the Astericks given 20 games suspension today, 6 for the A's player who went after him. MLB is sending a big message with these suspensions this year.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Y'all should really watch this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmlRbfSavbI

... now tell me how baseball avoids this reality.

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post

Could only watch about a minute. The nerd was too excited when the runner stole second. MLB has made a rule against electronic devices to steal signs after the Houston Astericks situation. Will some teams and/or players use stuff like this? Maybe there are always cheaters, in every walk of life. But MLB players and managers know when runners are likely to steal by the game situation and the baserunner/catcher/pitcher combination. It is kind of like when Tony Romo would tell fans what the play was going to be while the offense was lining up. Then the plays happens just like Tony said. Why? Because Tony spent his entire life preparing to play football. Baseball players and managers know if a steal is likely or not.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post

That is cool! Machine learning...good stuff.

When I played Dizzy Dean League ball, ages 17-19, we had a former Tulane player as our head coach, he was like 24 or so, barely older than us. Anyway he had this super sophisticated signal system, further complicated by his changing the indicators (yes, usually two) every inning! He was afraid the other team might steal our signs. In the parish playoffs we had a runner on first and he starts his sequence. The batter goes, huh? and steps out of the box calling time. The base runner shrugs his shoulders, like...what are you saying coach? So, our coach gets mad and he emphasizes the indicators, such as touching his right shoulder was it, but then he slaps his shoulder hard, like, look! Finally the dad of one of the players who had attended just about every game, yells from the stands, "he wants y'all to hit and run!" Which, was right. LOL!

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

The suspension is fine, it will be appealed.......likely to 4-6 games....... Hes a bullpen guy so its not bad

But that the cheating players are not being punished is a joke. Baseball self governs, but when the Judge (Kelly) hands down punishment, he gets suspended. Pro sports are stupid

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    The suspension is fine, it will be appealed.......likely to 4-6 games....... Hes a bullpen guy so its not bad

But that the cheating players are not being punished is a joke. Baseball self governs, but when the Judge (Kelly) hands down punishment, he gets suspended. Pro sports are stupid
    Cheating Players? LOL!

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

I only cheer for the Astro's, but com'n MLB. Any suspension for Tuesday's events is stupid.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I consider myself a Cards fan (although in practice I certainly follow the Rangers more closely). In either case, no sympathy for the Astros and their cheating.

But this article seems to imply the suspension was deserved for throwing at batters (which I think you could make a case for). Personally, I would be ok with baseball suspending players for violating whatever the intentional throwing at batter rule is to whatever extent those rules would normally require. But if they suspended him (even in part) for mouthing off that's pretty weak.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I consider myself a Cards fan
    I consider myself a carbs fan.

Pasta & rice in particular. (Does beer count?)

+ Reply to Thread