+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Year-Round School

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Year-Round School

Red River Parish has adopted a 12-month school year, which will partially go into effect with the 20-21 school year...partially due to the China Virus, for now. After that, in "normal" times, there will be a true 12-month schedule with several 2-week vacation periods built in, plus the normal holidays such as Christmas. Advocates say it is way better for students, especially those in the lower grades, not to have a 3-month interruption to their learning process.

I taught for 7+ years in Red River Parish, good to see them being progressive and taking the lead in this.

Shreve Island Elementary has been on a 12-month schedule for some time now, with good results.

So...thoughts?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Year-Round School

Are they giving the teachers a raise? I can't imagine the teachers working 12 months for the same money.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Are they giving the teachers a raise? I can't imagine the teachers working 12 months for the same money.
    When my wife was a teacher.. her salary was for 9 months (worked) . but she spread it out over 12 months so she could get paid during summer.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Mixed feelings about that kind of plan.

On one hand, I can see why it would help with summer learning loss and certainly would probably be good for families that rely on school lunches or for school as childcare so the parent/parents can work.

But I also think that some of that summer learning loss is ok. Kids have other things to learn than just the 3 R's. And maybe the summer break gives their little minds some down time to process. And it's not like there is any set platonic level to which students ought to be in a given year (those standards are somewhat arbitrary which is why I'm not all that concerned about the 19-20 school year ending for all intents and purposes early or for the 20-21 year being very unusual).

I don't know. Be an interesting experiment. Could be a really good thing for that Parrish.

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

I'm from the old school. We should go back to 1 thru 11 grades. Eliminate computers, back to basics in the first 7 grades. "High School" 4 maths, 3 histories,
    2 sciences, 4 p.e.'s, 4 electives. I think that these days the children are under the teachers "influence" to long. I wish that the students could go thru the
    system that I did School started first monday after labor day and ended the last friday in May.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BullPupN'46 View Post
    I'm from the old school. We should go back to 1 thru 11 grades. Eliminate computers, back to basics in the first 7 grades. "High School" 4 maths, 3 histories,
    2 sciences, 4 p.e.'s, 4 electives. I think that these days the children are under the teachers "influence" to long. I wish that the students could go thru the
    system that I did School started first monday after labor day and ended the last friday in May.
    You gotta teach them about the world they live in. Makes much more sense to teach texting than cursive these days.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    In a lot of the systems I've seen, it's the same amount of "work days". A lot depends on what's expected during the 2 week vacations. Generally, summers aren't a great vacation for most teachers. Some would be taking a pay cut, though, because they taught summer school--they'll be the upset ones.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    In a lot of the systems I've seen, it's the same amount of "work days". A lot depends on what's expected during the 2 week vacations. Generally, summers aren't a great vacation for most teachers. Some would be taking a pay cut, though, because they taught summer school--they'll be the upset ones.
    Yes along with those who insist on putting extra hours in each day. Not many union members doing that, just the ones who actually care about the students

+ Reply to Thread