+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Social Justice coming to NCAA

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Social Justice coming to NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    I’d like for you address the points Guisslapp made in the above post.

Black skin, though. Maybe you should try it on.
    If a word is taboo it doesn't matter who says it.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    You are heavily mischaracterizing everything I have said on the subject.

I am talking about two sides of the same going. Black usage vs out-group usage. One is inherently demeaning and the other is not.

It is not cool for you to use the word even without the hard ER. Blacks don’t use the hard ER when they are using the term in-group. Maybe some do when they are intending to offend someone - what say you turbo? I don’t make the rules.
    So you admit it a derogatory term when used by blacks. PD WINS. Or it COULD BE because of how one infers it. That is enough to "justify" destroying monuments because of how a few and lawless group
    infer them.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Like I said, silly. Thanks for proving my point.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Such discussions always lead me to read up on the subject. Even on Wikipedia you can find some "neat" history. For instance the word "n----er" (the N word) is old and dates back over 500 years into various European and other languages. It derives from the word for "black" in various languages. There is no specific date or incident where suddenly the word took on such negative connotation. But, in the US, somewhere around 1775 the N word started being used as a racial slur. It predates that in other parts of the world. In 1851 a Boston society for the abolition of slavery published a weekly paper and in one issue said blacks, or negros, which was the accepted term at that time, should stop using the N word themselves if they wanted to stopped being called that. It's 2020...sorry Boston society...no dice.

Mark Twain never used the N word in his narrative, but he did use it in dialog between characters, who would have used the word. Twain used "negro" when he was writing as the all-knowing narrator in a novel.

Just a few historic tidbits.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Yeah, Boston is muy comfortable using that word, in whatever form.

+ Reply to Thread