+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Natchitoches elects first black mayor

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Natchitoches elects first black mayor

Ronnie Williams defeated incumbent Lee Posey, 52-48% and has become the first black mayor in the history of Natchitoches. And, that's a LOT of history...306 years.

Betty Sawyer, a black, defeated incumbent Don Mims for councilman-at-large, and two other council seats, both in black districts, saw the incumbents crushed by newcomers to politics. Every incumbent who ran got smashed in the election. Only two city council seats will remain with incumbents because neither had challengers.

In the aftermath of last night's results, social media is exploding locally. For some in the black community they see this as "our chance to seize the city," whatever that means. There has been talk, with some, for the past week that if Williams won every white person in city government will be immediately fired and replaced with a black. I have not heard Ronnie Williams say that...just "talk" on the street. I spoke briefly with Mr. Williams a couple of weeks ago at a political event in city park...many candidates were there meeting & greeting. Williams is, and now "was" a teacher at Red River Junior High. I don't know much about his past. Most of what I have heard, from people who know him, is he is woefully disorganized, unqualified to mayor a city, no business background, etc... I only know he's been a teacher at RRJH.

But, the election had more to do with the lousy incumbent than the challenger. Lee Posey is responsible for the $18 million+ and growing economic disaster new ballpark complex. He robbed the city's surplus/emergency infrastructure fund, $11 million, and has piled on bonds and other loans for another $7 million. The city will NEVER, not EVER, recoup that money. The original plan, in Posey's mind, was that NSU was going to provide management and services, and some maintenance money in some kind of partnership, but NSU never officially agreed and in light of the China Virus crisis NSU is now saying, "we'll have to see." That and other stupid decisions Posey has made, always paying too much for purchases, soured people on him.

There are 11,000+ registered voters in the city, a total of 5,400 votes were cast. Williams won with about 2,800 votes. So about 25% of registered voters, and less than 15% of the population has determined the direction and future of the city for everyone else. But, elections and thus the future of a city, state....nation, are always determined by those who show up.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Natchitoches elects first black mayor

Black or African American?

African American is such a lame term...Black works just fine, but it was substituted with a 7 syllable term.

Notice last week the Dem candidate for VP is labeled black instead of "woman of color".

Insanity!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Black or African American?

African American is such a lame term...Black works just fine, but it was substituted with a 7 syllable term.

Notice last week the Dem candidate for VP is labeled black instead of "woman of color".

Insanity!
    Well, Harris is not considered "African American" since her black ancestry is traced back to Jamaica...never mind that those Jamaicans 200 years ago came from Africa.

As for Mr. Williams, I will go out on a limb and say he probably claims both labels, "black" and "African American."

BTW, I am sure most of you know there are white "African Americans." My wife reminded me recently that a cousin by marriage, Bethy, was actually born in Africa, South Africa, as were her parents. Bethy came to college in America and eventually stayed and is now married to one of my wife's cousins. Bethy is a true "African American"!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, Harris is not considered "African American" since her black ancestry is traced back to Jamaica...never mind that those Jamaicans 200 years ago came from Africa.

As for Mr. Williams, I will go out on a limb and say he probably claims both labels, "black" and "African American."

BTW, I am sure most of you know there are white "African Americans." My wife reminded me recently that a cousin by marriage, Bethy, was actually born in Africa, South Africa, as were her parents. Bethy came to college in America and eventually stayed and is now married to one of my wife's cousins. Bethy is a true "African American"!
    Charlize Theron.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, Harris is not considered "African American" since her black ancestry is traced back to Jamaica...
    Yes. The term black was used as the acceptable term for many years until Jesse Jackson, who was the master of excess syllable usage, began using African American, not to be confused with Afro American. Just funny to watch the word nazis scramble when need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Charlize Theron.
    "Country of origin" American is way over used. Not to mention "Continent of origin" American.

Example: Obama was 1/2 Kenyan American.

It's all about labels and racism now.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

"Country of origin" American is way over used. Not to mention "Continent of origin" American.

Example: Obama was 1/2 Kenyan American.

It's all about labels and racism now.
    I never thought AA was a very good descriptor for “race”, but the main reason is because it excludes a vast majority of the race that aren’t actually American.

I never thought AA was a very good descriptor for “race”, but the main reason is because it excludes a vast majority of the race that aren’t actually American.
    So you also agree that the color of the skin is not actually why they are victims of "systemic racism". They have to be part black American to be a victim. Part black Jamaican or Kenyan's don't qualify.

So you also agree that the color of the skin is not actually why they are victims of "systemic racism". They have to be part black American to be a victim. Part black Jamaican or Kenyan's don't qualify.
    I don’t agree, because that is stupid. Blacks face systemic discrimination in many countries, because of the color of their skin.

Charlize Theron.
    Yeah...and most of the references of her are "she is a South African and American..." actress, whatever... Why not say, she is an African American actress? She is. She is certainly more African than 99.99% of blacks running around screaming they are AA.

Well, we all know why, that would blow up the narrow-minded, shallow narrative of who is called an AA. The Left can only handle so much in the way of details. They get easily confused. Oh, sorry! My bad! I left you out....y'all get easily confused.

I don’t agree, because that is stupid. Blacks face systemic discrimination in many countries, because of the color of their skin.
    Okay. Got it. It's all about being black skinned. Brown skin, you are SOL. How black do you have to be? Like 100% or does it just depend on how dark the skin is?

+ Reply to Thread