+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: Prep Season 2020

  1. #121
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,251

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    I hate to send yall to Tiger Droppings but the scoop is over there ...

    In particular, the LHSAA focused on alleged improper recruiting of players by the school.

    Documents provided by a source to WAFB-TV show instances of Catholic High staff being instructed to scout specific middle school teams and youth organizations for potential recruits
    How is THIS any different from what Byrd High school does as a self proclaimed "Math & Science Magnet School"? I just googled Byrd High School, and they openly brag, "Byrd students come from its neighborhood or throughout the entire Caddo Parish school district through its selective math/science magnet program."[3]

    LOL! If that's not the definition of recruiting, what is? I guess it's okay to "recruit" high school athletes to Byrd, as long as they are good at Math and Science?

  2. #122
    Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    21,278

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    How is THIS any different from what Byrd High school does as a self proclaimed "Math & Science Magnet School"? I just googled Byrd High School, and they openly brag, "Byrd students come from its neighborhood or throughout the entire Caddo Parish school district through its selective math/science magnet program."[3]

    LOL! If that's not the definition of recruiting, what is? I guess it's okay to "recruit" high school athletes to Byrd, as long as they are good at Math and Science?
    Every school in Caddo (at least Shreveport) has a magnet program.

  3. #123
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,251

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Every school in Caddo (at least Shreveport) has a magnet program.

    So every school in Caddo Parish can recruit students throughout the Caddo Parish School District?

    I fail to see how that is any different from what Catholic High School --or any private school-- does? (Which was my point.)

  4. #124
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    What's the vibe down there on the vote?

    And this will only reunify the 5A schools correct are will this create a 6A level that has been rumored off and on for some time?
    The current proposal is to reunify 5A. It'll be a close vote, one way or the other.

  5. #125
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    How is THIS any different from what Byrd High school does as a self proclaimed "Math & Science Magnet School"? I just googled Byrd High School, and they openly brag, "Byrd students come from its neighborhood or throughout the entire Caddo Parish school district through its selective math/science magnet program."[3]

    LOL! If that's not the definition of recruiting, what is? I guess it's okay to "recruit" high school athletes to Byrd, as long as they are good at Math and Science?
    Keep in mind, Byrd plays in the Select playoffs with the private schools, as more than 25% of their total enrollment comes from outside of their school district.

    But....one of the controversies in Louisiana has been the fact other public schools have rosters full of players from outside their school districts but because the total enrollment of the school doesn't exceed the 25% threshold they play Non-Select in the playoffs with the rest of the public schools.

    That applies to schools like Acadiana and Alexandria Senior High at the 5A level and Edna Karr and Carencro at the 4A level.

    Acadiana and Carencro are in Lafayette Parish and are both "academy" schools where any student in the parish can attend.

    ASH pulls from all of Rapides Parish and has drastically improved in football over the past 5 years. Karr is also a magnet school that pulls from the west bank in Orleans Parish and has been a power for the past decade.

    Many other public school leaders around the state believe that if those school's rosters exceed the 25% threshold they should be playing the Select schools in the playoffs.

    All that said, it appears Catholic High created and maintained a recruiting system specific to football players that broke the rules to a point to where its administration didn't want to publicly challenge the penalties.

  6. #126
    Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX & Franklin, TN
    Posts
    36,251

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Keep in mind, Byrd plays in the Select playoffs with the private schools, as more than 25% of their total enrollment comes from outside of their school district.

    But....one of the controversies in Louisiana has been the fact other public schools have rosters full of players from outside their school districts but because the total enrollment of the school doesn't exceed the 25% threshold they play Non-Select in the playoffs with the rest of the public schools.

    That applies to schools like Acadiana and Alexandria Senior High at the 5A level and Edna Karr and Carencro at the 4A level.

    Acadiana and Carencro are in Lafayette Parish and are both "academy" schools where any student in the parish can attend.

    ASH pulls from all of Rapides Parish and has drastically improved in football over the past 5 years. Karr is also a magnet school that pulls from the west bank in Orleans Parish and has been a power for the past decade.

    Many other public school leaders around the state believe that if those school's rosters exceed the 25% threshold they should be playing the Select schools in the playoffs.

    All that said, it appears Catholic High created and maintained a recruiting system specific to football players that broke the rules to a point to where its administration didn't want to publicly challenge the penalties.
    Wow. Good info about Louisiana high schools. But your post seems to make my case even better than I ever could. It seems that almost everybody in Louisiana is doing it. Especially when some (like Byrd) draw more than 25% of their students from outside their own school district.

  7. #127
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Wow. Good info about Louisiana high schools. But your post seems to make my case even better than I ever could. It seems that almost everybody in Louisiana is doing it. Especially when some (like Byrd) draw more than 25% of their students from outside their own school district.
    I wasn't disagreeing with what you had to say. Just wanted to add context to it.

    The truth is many more schools should be Select for the playoffs.

    As for Catholic High, it might be unwritten but even the Select schools have standards, both written and unwritten.

    Catholic High crossed lines that schools like St. Thomas More, Teurlings Catholic, and NOLA area schools like Jesuit and Brother Martin won't cross.

  8. #128
    Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    39,113

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Brother Martin had to forfeit 5 games this year that two ineligible players played in. I don't know who or any details.

  9. #129
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: Prep Season 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Brother Martin had to forfeit 5 games this year that two ineligible players played in. I don't know who or any details.
    Ineligible players is one thing (Brother Martin was actually innocent in its case). A system of identifying and actively recruiting players over many years is something different.

    St. Thomas More and Teurlings are good examples. They not only don't recruit kids they don't make contact with potential student athletes outside their own feeder schools. Kids have to come to them, which is rare.

    The principal at Teurlings came out a few years ago and said it had been about 7 years since an 8th grader in the public school system had contacted Teurlings wanting to discuss joining the football team.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts