+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: 10/24 Tech @ UTSA (7 PM) - Game

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Re: 10/24 Tech @ UTSA (7 PM) - Game

I firmly believe our best QB development tool, coach was Rattay. Unfortunately Holtz sided with babying JMar instead of coaching him up. So, in hindsight not only did JMar not produce like the team needed him to, but we lost Tim as a result. Now there isn’t any QB development taking place. If Tech isn’t careful there’ll be another exodus of our QBs. This time it won’t be because of Holtz’s favoritism and protection of a certain rockstar to be QB, it’ll be because the other QBs don’t see any coaching in their futures to get better and maybe in a long shot see an NFL opportunity. It’s all just more of Holtz’s ineptitude to build a more complete and accomplishing team.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

The reason Skip is not coaching at a P5 school today is obvious: He NEVER improves. If he has bad special teams one year, he will always have bad special teams again the next year too, because he never improves. We've been griping about Skip's special teams since he got here. But they are still bad.

Same with Skip's lack of QB development, and his lack of game management skills. It's later that irritates me the most. He makes the easiest decisions look hard.

Regarding the "NFL draft thing", I would argue that LA Tech has ALWAYS done a good job of sending talent to the NFL. From Terry Bradshaw in 1970 to Kenneth Dixon in 2016, LA Tech has had 67 NFL draft picks recruited by someone other than Skip Holtz. So I wouldn't necessarily credit Skip for that. For example, Dixon was recruited by Sonny Dykes -and played for Sonny his freshman year. Jeff Driskel -the All-World transfer from Florida-- was Skips first real NFL draft pick. Every NFL draftee from Tech before 2016 was recruited and signed by a head coach other than Skip Holtz. Including Driskel, Skip has had 8 of his recruits drafted. I'm quite sure another head coach at LA Tech could do it too.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

1. The only way Skip is going anywhere this year is if he blows the rest of the season INCLUDING ULM. I don’t see him doing that. He will skate by on 6-6 and go bowling. Fans will be happy with another bowl, and forget how bad the CuSa is.

2. I do think the new AD needs to have a gameplan going forward with skippy. He was saddled with a very very bad deal. Maybe the worst in the country. He gave an extension to a coach ALREADY UNDER CONTRACT, who WASN’T GOING ANYWHERE. TMac screwed us royally with that deal before he jumped ship. Other CUSA schools are getting better (UTEP, UTSA, UNT, USM UAB). If we continue to tread water it will get worse. What a new AD can do with Holtz is mandate some staffing changes. OLine coach should be moved this year. He could also tell Skippy that he needs to make some changes to his coaching and game planning.

3. The best thing the new AD can do is try to undo some of the crappy game day guidelines and boneheaded schemes our previous AD implemented.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

A lot of you have already hooked your wagon to the new AD horse....I suppose it's desperation...with grand hopes of what he'll do.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    I firmly believe our best QB development tool, coach was Rattay. Unfortunately Holtz sided with babying JMar instead of coaching him up. So, in hindsight not only did JMar not produce like the team needed him to, but we lost Tim as a result. Now there isn’t any QB development taking place. If Tech isn’t careful there’ll be another exodus of our QBs. This time it won’t be because of Holtz’s favoritism and protection of a certain rockstar to be QB, it’ll be because the other QBs don’t see any coaching in their futures to get better and maybe in a long shot see an NFL opportunity. It’s all just more of Holtz’s ineptitude to build a more complete and accomplishing team.
    The sunshine pumpers here and on BTB disagree. They claimed Rattay was the problem with Smith, not Holtz. It was obvious Holtz was the problem if you just watched the sideline during a game or even on TV.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    A lot of you have already hooked your wagon to the new AD horse....I suppose it's desperation...with grand hopes of what he'll do.
    I've hitched my wagon to many promised saviors at Tech and none of them have panned out.

But any hope of fresh air is nice.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Hey...we're all glad we got 10 wins over bad CUSA and bad OOC teams last year. But we STILL managed to underachieve in a big way, and you'll never see 10 wins again on Holtz's watch.
    The team that got 10 wins was picked by the coaches to be #3 in the West.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you've posted about Skip. And sure, there are a lot of coaches that could do what he's done, potentially. Many administrators are risk averse and canning Holtz after one bad season (Sagarin still has us at 7-4) is a big risk. The coaching community is a small one and they would see a guy getting fired who is winning on a shoe-string budget. I hope Dr. Wood can come in and remedy some of our budget woes...it won't be nearly as easy as UCF passing a student fee on 50K students though. I also hope that Dr. Wood impresses upon Skip that he has expectations of improvement that Skip will be held accountable to. All that said, it's more likely that D80 lands a spot in the Biden administration than that Skip gets fired this year...way more likely.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The sunshine pumpers here and on BTB disagree. They claimed Rattay was the problem with Smith, not Holtz. It was obvious Holtz was the problem if you just watched the sideline during a game or even on TV.
    I was watching. I saw Rattay approach JMar after a certain series when the QB needed some coaching and either Holtz showed up to baby his rockstar or JMar walked away from Rattay. It’s obviously all water under the bridge at this point except for the consequence that Rattay is gone and Holtz nor anyone else on his staff is a competent QB coach. That’s abundantly obvious by the lack of QB improvement Not taking place before our eyes. If anything both QBs are getting worse now that they’re under more pressure and they don’t what do to mentally. A person can only run so far and so fast and throw a ball a certain way. If their brain is wrong in what to do to begin with, they’re screwed. Thus we’re screwed. We need Rattay, we need a sideline full of former Tech players as coaches instead of Holtz and his never were much good cronies and couldn’t care less cronies.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

I don't disagree with a lot of what you've posted about Skip. And sure, there are a lot of coaches that could do what he's done, potentially. Many administrators are risk averse and canning Holtz after one bad season (Sagarin still has us at 7-4) is a big risk. The coaching community is a small one and they would see a guy getting fired who is winning on a shoe-string budget. I hope Dr. Wood can come in and remedy some of our budget woes...it won't be nearly as easy as UCF passing a student fee on 50K students though. I also hope that Dr. Wood impresses upon Skip that he has expectations of improvement that Skip will be held accountable to. All that said, it's more likely that D80 lands a spot in the Biden administration than that Skip gets fired this year...way more likely.
    Better watch that...I have been contacted by a member of the Biden transition team and informed I am on a "list to consider" for a couple of positions. And I would consider it...Lord knows America is gonna need someone with common sense and sound judgment in that administration.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Better watch that...I have been contacted by a member of the Biden transition team and informed I am on a "list to consider" for a couple of positions. And I would consider it...Lord knows America is gonna need someone with common sense and sound judgment in that administration.

And if you take the spot, Skip will still be HC here at Tech.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm betting you'd have Biden wearing a MAGA cap inside of a week.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I'm betting you'd have Biden wearing a MAGA cap inside of a week.
    He'd probably wear it backwards!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

He'd probably wear it backwards!
    I have this mental image of Alfred E Neuman.....

What - Me Worry?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

Oh, as I stated on another thread, I don't expect Dr. Eric Wood to do anything this season for 2 reasons: 1) He's BRAND new at LA Tech, and he'll want to do his own personnel evaluation, even if it is at our W-L expense. 2) I don't think Wood has ever hired or fired anyone. Seems like he has always been on the level just below the hiring and firing. This is one of the HUGE downsides to hiring a guy that's an "up and comer". He's never really done the dirty work before.

Also, let's face it: LA Tech just doesn't like firing people. You'll never see a Tech AD fire his football coach on the tarmac the way USC's Pat Haden did Lane Kiffin.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Oh, as I stated on another thread, I don't expect Dr. Eric Wood to do anything this season for 2 reasons: 1) He's BRAND new at LA Tech, and he'll want to do his own personnel evaluation, even if it is at our W-L expense. 2) I don't think Wood has ever hired or fired anyone. Seems like he has always been on the level just below the hiring and firing. This is one of the HUGE downsides to hiring a guy that's an "up and comer". He's never really done the dirty work before.

Also, let's face it: LA Tech just doesn't like firing people. You'll never see a Tech AD fire his football coach on the tarmac the way USC's Pat Haden did Lane Kiffin.
    If we lose to ULM then he needs to fire Holtz on the side of I-20 (I think Dixie Inn would be appropriate)......

+ Reply to Thread