+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 12/3 Tech @ UNT (5 PM) - Game

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: 12/3 Tech @ UNT (5 PM) - Game

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I'm sure this is one of those things that is explained in detail on another thread, but is this something you can stream for free if you download their app (the CBSSN app)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Well, that was fun. I had forgotten it is football season.
    Yes, it was. TV guys did a good job I thought.

None of the three quitters were missed IMO.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

It’s clearly too much to ask for a QB that doesn’t stare down the intended receiver from the snap and force the pass into close coverage.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    It’s clearly too much to ask for a QB that doesn’t stare down the intended receiver from the snap and force the pass into close coverage.
    Neither of our QBs is a true Division I FBS QB. They would both do far better playing in the FCS, or even a lower classification. The game is too fast, and defenses too complex for both of them. But, it is what it is for this year. Yeah, if we had a stable, experienced OL they would both be doing a little better...true. But, beyond that, when they have time, neither demonstrates the capacity to be a reliable, consistent winner at this level.

Yeah, I know, here come the barbs for my daring to offer an honest opinion. Heck! I am rooting for 'em both! I always like to see the underdog do well. I hope Tech wins out...beats TCU, wins our bowl game...and both enjoy a measure of success, well, they will have to have success if we are to beat TCU and win our bowl game. Won't win games like that without good QB play.

Just had a thought...ya know, this might be one of Holtz's best coaching jobs he's had. This whole crazy 2020, starting with a VERY young team, injuries/virus-related mess, opt-outs, goofy schedule, and yet we are 5-3. The combined records of the 3 teams that beat us, so far, is 23-4.

Go Dawgs! Beat the Frogs!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Neither of our QBs is a true Division I FBS QB. They would both do far better playing in the FCS, or even a lower classification. The game is too fast, and defenses too complex for both of them. But, it is what it is for this year. Yeah, if we had a stable, experienced OL they would both be doing a little better...true. But, beyond that, when they have time, neither demonstrates the capacity to be a reliable, consistent winner at this level.

Yeah, I know, here come the barbs for my daring to offer an honest opinion. Heck! I am rooting for 'em both! I always like to see the underdog do well. I hope Tech wins out...beats TCU, wins our bowl game...and both enjoy a measure of success, well, they will have to have success if we are to beat TCU and win our bowl game. Won't win games like that without good QB play.

Just had a thought...ya know, this might be one of Holtz's best coaching jobs he's had. This whole crazy 2020, starting with a VERY young team, injuries/virus-related mess, opt-outs, goofy schedule, and yet we are 5-3. The combined records of the 3 teams that beat us, so far, is 23-4.

I hadn't really thought about it, but after last night, I think you might be right.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Why....that fine young fellow is a Rummel Raider!
    I knew it was either Rummel or Brother Martin. I get the two confused, but knew you would know.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Neither of our QBs is a true Division I FBS QB. They would both do far better playing in the FCS, or even a lower classification. The game is too fast, and defenses too complex for both of them.
    I don't know that we've seen enough of Allen to make that call. He's a RS Soph. I agree about Anthony, but I think Allen has earned the job (after his comeback win against UAB).

I think the game is a LOT faster than it should be for both because our tackles get dominated every game. The poor kid that they did the write up in the paper about was chasing his guy from behind the whole game.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it, but after last night, I think you might be right.
    I have thought about it, and I think you're probably right.

I think the USM game may have been one of his better coaching jobs here. No spring ball at all, interrupted Fall practice schedule, new QB, etc.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I don't know that we've seen enough of Allen to make that call. He's a RS Soph. I agree about Anthony, but I think Allen has earned the job (after his comeback win against UAB).

I think the game is a LOT faster than it should be for both because our tackles get dominated every game. The poor kid that they did the write up in the paper about was chasing his guy from behind the whole game.
    But meanwhile Anthony's stats in this game were better (at least on paper).

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    But meanwhile Anthony's stats in this game were better (at least on paper).
    Luke had a decent game for sure. I do think Allen does better under pressure...and that's our normal this year because of our line play. Of the many things I repeat more often than anyone wants to read, my personal favorite is: if two quarterbacks are roughly even, play the younger one.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Luke had a decent game for sure. I do think Allen does better under pressure...and that's our normal this year because of our line play. Of the many things I repeat more often than anyone wants to read, my personal favorite is: if two quarterbacks are roughly even, play the younger one.
    That's probably a decent philosophy in general, but I really think this year it's all about making sure both guys get reps, both guys gain experience. It's clear he hasn't been looking to pick a guy by this point (as you'd expect in a more normal year). Maybe after the UAB/Marshall games last season, he's determined not to be in a situation where QB2 has to go but hasn't been in a real game situation.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Luke Anthony did okay because we didn't play a BYU or Marshall. UNT defense is bad.

UNT is ranked
    #124 in Total Defense.
    #116 in Rushing Defense
    #116 in Passing Yards Allowed

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Anthony can make some great throws.

He can also many some really bad throws.

As has been the case with Holtz (at least since the rock star came along), our QB not being a threat to run takes away a major part of the game we never use.

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Luke Anthony did okay because we didn't play a BYU or Marshall.
    Right. But that doesn't explain why his stats are better than Allen's.

It's like they take turns having the better game (which probably just means they're roughly equal and then you can default to Johnny's philosophy above or go the other way by leaning on the more experienced guy, or just do what we've done all season and rotate them in). It's possible that they're roughly equal now but if one guy (whichever one) became more of a traditional QB1 starter with almost all the game reps, that difference in experience/rhythm/team confidence would lead to further development, but we don't really know that would happen.

Just for the sake of conversation, Allen had a higher QBR last night.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

Anthony is lucky he didn’t have 4 interceptions last night.

+ Reply to Thread