+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-21 Coaching Carousel

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: 2020-21 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    This coming from the guy with 51k posts telling us how evil Liberals are.... and can't accept that his boy lost the election.

Dietrich joined Fletcher this morning and threw 2 names in the pot.... Matt Kubik and Joe Sloan. Really high on both guys.
    See, I almost included "or should they go back to their best ever strategy of hire a Tech guy" and try to get Kubik back or come after someone on current staff" but didn't want to think about it.

I am against that (which should mean nothing, since I'm not interested in ULM's best interests) because I don't want to lose our current OC and I don't want a former Tech QB to either succeed at ULM or tank his career by not succeeding at ULM. It's lose-lose (to me).

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    They will never be successful at this level with no money. They will never get more money than they have now.
    Well, the question assumes "relative" success. Not unqualified "successful."

What is their best hope to be the best they can be?

The Juco approach might work. You'd want it to be the Mississippi jucos specifically I guess.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

In the weirdest "coaching search" Urban Meyer has reportedly told Texas he will not replace Tom Herman, if they indeed fire him.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Just as an FYI the Jets fired Gregg Williams today after one of the dumbest play calls in football history yesterday.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Well, the question assumes "relative" success. Not unqualified "successful."

What is their best hope to be the best they can be?

The Juco approach might work. You'd want it to be the Mississippi jucos specifically I guess.
    As we found out the juco approach is hit and miss. Dykes did well with it, but he picked up a couple of studs. One of which turned out to be a team leader which is rare for a juco. Dykes had to go all over the nation to find his guys. Contrast Kansas St who has always had the state pipeline for Kansas Juco guys. I think Ole Miss and Miss St usually get first picks in Mississippi. Texas jucos are picked over pretty good as well.

I just don't see it for them. The common theme is less money to work with, not more. They have no deep pocket guys who don't spend on lsu first.

I really thought the coaching carousel would be slow this year with maybe only a couple of extreme situations. As it turns out, there looks to quite a bit of turnover coming. And if one of the top jobs grabs a current HC, the dominoes really start falling.
    Still pretty early in the "firing season". Likely not to reach the numbers reached the last three years of 21, 27 and 24 changes.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I just don't see it for them. The common theme is less money to work with, not more. They have no deep pocket guys who don't spend on lsu first.
    I think that's probably the biggest issue with, say, camping out in FL and CA jucos. It costs money to recruit far from home. Not sure MS has enough numbers to really field a quality team after the better programs have had their pick. I think there are plenty guys in CA and FL juco systems to make ULM competitive...even after all the big boys get their picks. And who knows, you win a little bit, maybe you start making inroads with more homegrown guys.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Still pretty early in the "firing season". Likely not to reach the numbers reached the last three years of 21, 27 and 24 changes.
    Probably not. But it will be more than I would have expected in August. I guess I thought there would be more COVID-mulliganing (to coin a phrase).

As we found out the juco approach is hit and miss. Dykes did well with it, but he picked up a couple of studs. One of which turned out to be a team leader which is rare for a juco. Dykes had to go all over the nation to find his guys. Contrast Kansas St who has always had the state pipeline for Kansas Juco guys. I think Ole Miss and Miss St usually get first picks in Mississippi. Texas jucos are picked over pretty good as well.

So what's their best hope? Not to become a great program, just to reach whatever their ceiling is? Or does it matter if that ceiling is so low you can get there in any number of ways?

I guess the best bet would be "all of the above" right? A young, energetic, local offensive innovator whose system can somewhat compensate for talent discrepancy and has some juco ties? But who is that?

If I'm ULM's AD (and thank God I'm not) I'm looking for any market inefficiencies I can find. I'm darn sure interviewing Fobbs, Sloan, and Kubik. But I'm also looking for the unicorn described above.

They can't be successful short of somebody hitting the lottery, infusing MILLIONS immediately, and upping the budget by several million. It goes without saying that they MUST get the cost of attendance thing worked out. We have work to do in that area ourselves.

Probably not. But it will be more than I would have expected in August. I guess I thought there would be more COVID-mulliganing (to coin a phrase).
    I think several coaches will be given that COVID-mulligan. You never know Texas and/or Michigan could make changes that starts a cascading effect. I would almost bet Michigan makes a change as Harbaugh only has one year left, albeit that year is reportedly worth $9 million. I do expect 2-3 Power 5 changes and a lot of the promising candidates to replace them are G5 coaches which creates another opening. Although I expect fewer changes than recent history.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    This coming from the guy with 51k posts telling us how evil Liberals are.... and can't accept that his boy lost the election.

Dietrich joined Fletcher this morning and threw 2 names in the pot.... Matt Kubik and Joe Sloan. Really high on both guys.
    If you read my latest, I admitted it’s looking bad for Trump and the America we all knew and loved.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

They will never be successful at this level with no money. They will never get more money than they have now.
    I will repeat your above but leave it with “they will never be successful”.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

See, I almost included "or should they go back to their best ever strategy of hire a Tech guy" and try to get Kubik back or come after someone on current staff" but didn't want to think about it.

I am against that (which should mean nothing, since I'm not interested in ULM's best interests) because I don't want to lose our current OC and I don't want a former Tech QB to either succeed at ULM or tank his career by not succeeding at ULM. It's lose-lose (to me).
    ...What is it about our current OC that you find so attractive? Is it the fact that he runs the sideline screen pass a dozen times a game against some of our competition, even though it never works? Or perhaps it is because our opponents have scored more points (257 vs 254), more TD's (33 vs 32) and more total yds (2003 vs 1855) than we have this season? Maybe it was the whopping 341 yds of total offense that racked up last week against UNT, who actually totaled 386, that you found so impressive?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

So what's their best hope? Not to become a great program, just to reach whatever their ceiling is? Or does it matter if that ceiling is so low you can get there in any number of ways?

I guess the best bet would be "all of the above" right? A young, energetic, local offensive innovator whose system can somewhat compensate for talent discrepancy and has some juco ties? But who is that?

If I'm ULM's AD (and thank God I'm not) I'm looking for any market inefficiencies I can find. I'm darn sure interviewing Fobbs, Sloan, and Kubik. But I'm also looking for the unicorn described above.
    They can't be successful short of somebody hitting the lottery, infusing MILLIONS immediately, and upping the budget by several million. It goes without saying that they MUST get the cost of attendance thing worked out. We have work to do in that area ourselves.

I'm basing this on my observations over 40 years of being a Tech fan living in the Monroe area. They have no fan base. They have no fan base to grow.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ...What is it about our current OC that you find so attractive? Is it the fact that he runs the sideline screen pass a dozen times a game against some of our competition, even though it never works? Or perhaps it is because our opponents have scored more points (257 vs 254), more TD's (33 vs 32) and more total yds (2003 vs 1855) than we have this season? Maybe it was the whopping 341 yds of total offense that racked up last week against UNT, who actually totaled 386, that you found so impressive?
    Keep in mind, our current OC doesn't call the plays.

+ Reply to Thread