+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 3 Opt Out

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: 3 Opt Out

I think 90%+, maybe higher than that, 95%+ of all scholarship college athletes greatly appreciate and cherish the opportunity given them. A free education, an opportunity to play the sport they love, and all the perks that go with being a "pampered" college athlete. I believe most of them thank their lucky stars they are not like other students, piling up student debt and/or working minimum wage jobs just trying to make ends meet. They KNOW they are privileged, and don't take it for granted. And it's part of their bigger attitude picture that also compels them to excel on the field...they have a winner's outlook on life, and winners want to win!

So! to build on Pawdawg's point, I think you do a disservice to those student-athletes, the ones that do it right, if you lump ALL student-athletes together under one umbrella. The "bad apples" need to be separated out and called out to emphasize that those "bad apples" are NOT representative of the rest. Now, you can do this diplomatically, professionally, but do it....you should.

NOTE: I am NOT saying the three football players are "bad apples." I am speaking strictly in generalization. So, please, do NOT say I say these three young men are malcontents. I don't know enough about the circumstances to comment. In fact, I lean toward what appears to be the obvious reasons...this season is shot, the virus has messed up everything, it is very possible Tech will not play another football game in 2020 and they have seen that writing on the wall and made a personal decision.

Back to generalizations...I have ZERO sympathy for any student-athlete who blows it, who fumbles the opportunity presented to them.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    As you know the attitude I rant against from both our HC and our former AD is one that coddles to a bunch of "non-committal" young people and wealthy co-fans of lsu instead of true blue Louisiana Tech fans. Some here believe it's more important to over protect athletes who are getting a free education, food and lodging than to speak honestly to our fanbase.
    Afraid I dont follow ...

coach-speak = overprotecting athletes = coddling half-hearted fans = alienating die-hards?

I'm not tracking with you.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Afraid I dont follow ...

coach-speak = overprotecting athletes = coddling half-hearted fans = alienating die-hards?

I'm not tracking with you.
    I can deal with coach speak. I understand it. Blatant lies on behalf of a guy who got kicked out of school... Not sure why that does not bother those who want to see it as coach speak or necessary pandering.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Well, why doesn’t Tech offer scholarships to academically successful kids that are also exceptional athletes?
    People may call me bad names, but those should be the qualifications for the privilege at all schools. Let the academically unsuccessful walk on and earn a scholarship by scholastic achievement. That would make more sense as that would provide motivation to academically do well prior to college.

Is 2020 a "free year" as far as 5 to play 4?

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get over it. I've simply corrected your (and many other's because Holtz lied) assumption that he "opted".

The other two? Are we supposed to believe a RB who had lost his starting position and was a 180 from what he was last year or a lineman who could not block wind both "opted" to go to the draft and were both assets to the team? Please!
    Should he say "These guys should never have been here."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Should he say "These guys should never have been here."
    No comment would have been and appropriate response rather than praise and lies.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    What other schools are recruiting this guy?
    Not many at this point... There wasn’t any spring high school football and summer camps were limited. He’s only 6’...Doesn’t meet the standards for most schools.

Varsity Bulldog Bayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to all Bayou Dawg's Avatar

Henderson is full of himself and a selfish player. Definitely not a “team guy”. Didn’t live up to expectations and became a quitter. Bye bye!

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Not many at this point... There wasn’t any spring high school football and summer camps were limited. He’s only 6’...Doesn’t meet the standards for most schools.
    Well if he really has the talent to play FBS football maybe he will be a steal for some program, like Drew Brees was in his day.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Westin Elliott is now in the trasfer portal as a grad transfer. Good luck Westin, hope you find a spot.

Westin Elliott is now in the trasfer portal as a grad transfer. Good luck Westin, hope you find a spot.
    Some here would call him a quitter. He stuck it out as long as possible, went to class, and got a LaTech degree. Good luck to him!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Some here would call him a quitter. He stuck it out as long as possible, went to class, and got a LaTech degree. Good luck to him!
    He didn't quit. I don't think he was good enough for FBS football, and he would he wise, if he'd like to actually play and have a measure of success, to transfer to an FCS school in need of a QB. Wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Weston Elliott is a class act. Any potential opt-outters should take a lesson. I hope he finds a quality school, gets a master's degree and goes & makes a ton of money.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

If you graduate, you can’t be called a quitter. No shame in moving on once you get the degree.

But if you commit to come back, and then leave for another school... thats more like a quitter.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Some here would call him a quitter.
    I don't know anybody here who would call him a quitter...I certainly wouldn't. Now, if a guy quits several times at several schools...well, that's another story. Of course, I don't think being a quitter is the worst thing in the world. Quitting baseball was one of the best decisions I ever made!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread