I think 90%+, maybe higher than that, 95%+ of all scholarship college athletes greatly appreciate and cherish the opportunity given them. A free education, an opportunity to play the sport they love, and all the perks that go with being a "pampered" college athlete. I believe most of them thank their lucky stars they are not like other students, piling up student debt and/or working minimum wage jobs just trying to make ends meet. They KNOW they are privileged, and don't take it for granted. And it's part of their bigger attitude picture that also compels them to excel on the field...they have a winner's outlook on life, and winners want to win!

So! to build on Pawdawg's point, I think you do a disservice to those student-athletes, the ones that do it right, if you lump ALL student-athletes together under one umbrella. The "bad apples" need to be separated out and called out to emphasize that those "bad apples" are NOT representative of the rest. Now, you can do this diplomatically, professionally, but do it....you should.

NOTE: I am NOT saying the three football players are "bad apples." I am speaking strictly in generalization. So, please, do NOT say I say these three young men are malcontents. I don't know enough about the circumstances to comment. In fact, I lean toward what appears to be the obvious reasons...this season is shot, the virus has messed up everything, it is very possible Tech will not play another football game in 2020 and they have seen that writing on the wall and made a personal decision.

Back to generalizations...I have ZERO sympathy for any student-athlete who blows it, who fumbles the opportunity presented to them.