+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Dawg's Weekly Sagarin MBB Thread 2021

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Blue Dawg's Weekly Sagarin MBB Thread 2021

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So, why are Marshall and WKU ranked so far ahead of us when we split with both? Especially WKU.....we beat them on their home court, and almost won both of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_dawg_fan View Post
    Because WKU has OOC wins over 67 Memphis, 76 Rhode Island, and 23 Alabama. Marshall has OOC wins vs 91 Wright St and 154 Ohio. Our highest OOC win is vs 172 UTA. Our wins vs those two are what got us closer to them.
    Exactly. We got our shit pushed in by #45 lsu and puffed our chests out over the worst teams in the country.

I'm happy with the split, but I understand the ranking.

We're 5th in the conference and have been inching up so far this year. With a little luck I think we can finish in the top 4.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Dawg's Weekly Sagarin MBB Thread 2021

Sorry for missing the update last week. We continue to slowly rise through these bottom dwellers.

The next 2 weeks are the key. They've been the key all season. 0-4 and it's just another failed Konkol sugar-on-shit season. 2-2 or better and we might have something special brewing.

Let get the sweep!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Sorry for missing the update last week. We continue to slowly rise through these bottom dwellers.

The next 2 weeks are the key. They've been the key all season. 0-4 and it's just another failed Konkol sugar-on-shit season. 2-2 or better and we might have something special brewing.
    Please explain your comment that I have bolded here. We're not playing Gonzaga and Duke. Why would a split with the next two be so good? Splitting with the Top 3 --WKU, UAB and North Texas-- didn't seem to help much.

To have something "special" brewing, I think we've got to go at least 3-1, with a sweep of UAB at home. Come to think of it, there's no way MTSU stops us on the road, so we really need to go 4-0 over the next 2 weeks. Play time is over. It's time to get down to business.

Please explain your comment that I have bolded here. We're not playing Gonzaga and Duke. Why would a split with the next two be so good? Splitting with the Top 3 --WKU, UAB and North Texas-- didn't seem to help much.

To have something "special" brewing, I think we've got to go at least 3-1, with a sweep of UAB at home. Come to think of it, there's no way MTSU stops us on the road, so we really need to go 4-0 over the next 2 weeks. Play time is over. It's time to get down to business.
    Because I have extremely low expectations but I am trying to be positive. Also, I posted that before the UNT series. So we are well on our way to 3-1 from that point. Just need a sweep of UAB which I think is achievable.

MTSU and Rice shouldn't give us trouble at all: therefore we will probably go 3-1 there also.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

This team is better than pre-season pick UNT as evidenced by last weekend. completely shut down the defending POY. 4-2 is barely tolerable from here on out. 5-1 is acceptable. 6-0 should b expected.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

...by the way, i hung with hogdawg last week-end. He is rubbing off on me��

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    ...by the way, i hung with hogdawg last week-end. He is rubbing off on me��
    LOL! Yep, I enjoyed it. Well......I enjoyed everything but the 2-pt loss to UNT. Tech was BETTER THAN UNT, but we still found a way to lose the 2nd one. Unfortunately, Tech had to play UNT AND the rotten game officials. There's no way we should have lost that 2nd game. Tech could have had a really special sweep with that one.

Why does everybody we "split" with --including the road splits-- still rank ahead of us? Also why does UAB still have more Sag points than us (76.93 vs 75.87) after we beat them twice?

Why does everybody we "split" with --including the road splits-- still rank ahead of us? Also why does UAB still have more Sag points than us (76.93 vs 75.87) after we beat them twice?
    Sag points aren't the only thing the ranking takes into account - there's also the strength of schedule (UAB is 303, we are 180) and I think maybe a recency bias.

Per "recent" games (not sure how he defines), we rank #61 overall, right behind #58. WKU is 1-2 vs the top 25 - we are 0-1 vs the top 50.

Over my time doing this I think I've noticed that early season losses to better teams and stacking the schedule with crap creates a hurdle we never really get over. We didn't even beat LAMAR as badly as lsu beat us.

Sag points aren't the only thing the ranking takes into account - there's also the strength of schedule (UAB is 303, we are 180) and I think maybe a recency bias.

Per "recent" games (not sure how he defines), we rank #61 overall, right behind #58. WKU is 1-2 vs the top 25 - we are 0-1 vs the top 50.

Over my time doing this I think I've noticed that early season losses to better teams and stacking the schedule with crap creates a hurdle we never really get over. We didn't even beat LAMAR as badly as lsu beat us.

So that matters?

It's funny. Nobody really talks about the fact that college basketball is the one sport where it pays to POUR IT ON your opponent. To hell with putting your subs in the game late with a 22 point lead and giving them some playing time.......you're better off leaving your starters in and beating the snot out of your opponent by 40 points if you can do it. Because apparently, these things are strongly considered come tournament time.

So that matters?

It's funny. Nobody really talks about the fact that college basketball is the one sport where it pays to POUR IT ON your opponent. To hell with putting your subs in the game late with a 22 point lead and giving them some playing time.......you're better off leaving your starters in and beating the snot out of your opponent by 40 points if you can do it. Because apparently, these things are strongly considered come tournament time.
    If you were trying to game Sagarin, sure. It ends up mattering a bit in the small differences - the difference between us and WKU is really not large.

I can't remember if Sagarin is actually used for seeding purposes.

Or kenpom, for that matter (which I think is better than Sagarin but ain't free) - but the WCC uses Kenpom for tie-breakers at least.

+ Reply to Thread