+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: @LATechWBB Faces #25 Texas in Austin

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: @LATechWBB Faces #25 Texas in Austin

Without the turnovers, this would have been much closer (as some of you noted). All things considered, I was proud of the way we played. Hopefully, this will help us improve, since it was not totally demoralizing. Games that we can't take anything good from can defeat a team's will for the games coming up. We played just well enough to show me that we could compete well enough for a CUSA championship this year.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

We out-rebounded much bigger UT, including 13 offensive boards, that's hustle & effort. We hit 14-18 FTs, 78%, that's pretty good. I suspect UT shot a lot more FTs than just 18. But, we shot 40% from the floor. I didn't see the game, but I am sure that came from trying to shoot over tall defenders. Collier was held to 22 points and fouled out...so, she was not a huge factor in the outcome. I would say we checked off a few boxes in this game...yet, still lost biggly 84-57. Like the movie, "the good, the bad, and the ugly."

Beat Jackson State and move on with the season.

Love dem Techsters!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Texas defeated SMU by 39 points. (Collier scored 25 pts and had 12 rebounds)
    Texas defeated UNT by 37 points. (Collier scored 44 pts and had 16 rebounds)
    Texas defeated the Lady Techsters by 27 points. (Collier scored 22 pts and had 8 rebounds)

This article (link) below from Hook'em.com has an interesting comment from the UT Head Coach:

In his postgame press conference, Schaefer wasn’t in a celebratory mood. Don’t get the coach wrong, he’ll take a 27-point win. Still, Schaefer was displeased by Texas’ effort on Wednesday. Of Louisiana Tech, Schaefer said “those kids played harder than we did tonight. That’s a hard pill to swallow for me. That’s my responsibility, and I wear it.”
    https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/...ch/3805839001/

I'm not typically into "moral victories", but obviously the Lady Techsters played very hard as a team, and even the UT Head Coach recognized it. Considering the huge talent and physical advantage UT has this year, Lady Techster head coach Brooke Stoehr is to be congratulated for, 1) getting her team ready to play, and 2) implementing a solid game plan. Brooke's game plan against the 6'5 Charli Collier obviously worked fairly well, and forced the rest of the UT team to have to step up and beat us. That's what we wanted. This is similar to the strategy that D80 and I discussed prior to the game. Unfortunately, UT has more than just one great player, and the rest of the Lady Horns did step up and meet the challenge. So it goes.....

I'll take this moral victory and watch our ladies build on it. I'm not embarrassed by this one at all.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    The turnovers killed us. I don't know if the Techsters would have won with say 10 turnovers, but it would have been a lot closer game had they had better ball control. -- Captain Obvious
    Our senior guard duo of Dixon and Guinto between just the two of them had 13 turnovers against Texas and 12 against Grambling. It's been an ongoing, year-after-year issue for our program. Get that fixed, keep up the intensity, we'll be fun to watch this year.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    Our senior guard duo of Dixon and Guinto between just the two of them had 13 turnovers against Texas and 12 against Grambling. It's been an ongoing, year-after-year issue for our program. Get that fixed, keep up the intensity, we'll be fun to watch this year.
    Those two players are getting far too much playing time to not be producing better than they are.

- Guinto played a whopping 35 minutes, but only scored 7 points and turned the ball over to UT 6 times.

- Dixon played 31 minutes, scored only 3 points and turned the ball over to UT 7 times.

I admit that I haven't seen our guys play this year, but that's a lot of playing time being distributed to two players who can't score and have a problem turning the ball over. One of these two players needs to have a good performance in each outing. Just saying......

My other big question about last night is, why did Anna Larr Roberson only play 15 minutes? Good lord, she's 6'3, and we're going up against the biggest team --and the biggest player-- we'll probably see all year. And yet, we don't play one of our biggest and most talented girls very much?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Those two players are getting far too much playing time to not be producing better than they are.

- Guinto played a whopping 35 minutes, but only scored 7 points and turned the ball over to UT 6 times.

- Dixon played 31 minutes, scored only 3 points and turned the ball over to UT 7 times.

I admit that I haven't seen our guys play this year, but that's a lot of playing time being distributed to two players who can't score and have a problem turning the ball over. One of these two players needs to have a good performance in each outing. Just saying......

My other big question about last night is, why did Anna Larr Roberson only play 15 minutes? Good lord, she's 6'3, and we're going up against the biggest team --and the biggest player-- we'll probably see all year. And yet, we don't play one of our biggest and most talented girls very much?
    I agree about Anna.... I watched the game and just didn't understand that decision. Other than that and the turnovers, we played well - certainly well enough to have hope for a run at the CUSA championship this year. It is early, but if we keep building on this game, we will be decently good this year. Knowing how we get off to slow starts each year lately and play better toward the end of the season, this is a very good sign.

+ Reply to Thread