+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA Tech Hosts Lamar in Saturday Tilt

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

LA Tech Hosts Lamar in Saturday Tilt

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

The Louisiana Tech men's basketball team will play its final non-conference game at home on Saturday afternoon, taking on Lamar at 1 p.m. inside the Thomas Assembly Center on Karl Malone Court.

More...

Discuss it here.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: LA Tech Hosts Lamar in Saturday Tilt

Says Tech and Lamar have a rich history in MBB...I'll say. Especially from the late 1970's thru the 1980's.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Says Tech and Lamar have a rich history in MBB...I'll say. Especially from the late 1970's thru the 1980's.
    I remember when Lamar had a football program and played in the Southland conference with Tech. Well, the FIRST time they had a football program.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

It was the Billy Tubbs' teams that came into Memorial in the late 70s and 1980 with Mike Oliver. Pat Foster took over for Tubbs in 1981 when Oliver was SLC Player of the Year.

Under both coaches Lamar would come onto the court for pregame warmups making the No. 1 sign. They would circle the court three times basically telling the crowd their team was better than your team. In both Ruston and Lafayette the students would get into Memorial and Blackham, respectively, just to boo and throw stuff at the Lamar players.

Then when Tech and USL would play in the old gym in Beaumont the Lamar students would throw stuff at our players. Tubbs became famous/infamous for walking over to the student section in Beaumont and telling them not to throw "s--t" onto the court. It was a tradition that he continued at Oklahoma when he left Lamar in 1981.

The biggest game for Tech in the history of the series was in 1984 when Tech beat Lamar in the SLC finals. Lamar was in the Top 20 late in the season. And even after the loss was in Sports Illustrated's Top 20. But it was the first year or two of the RPI. And the Committee used the RPI to keep Lamar out of the tournament.

Pat Foster left after the 1986 season and Lamar basketball was never the same.

Here is the "famous" video Billy Tubbs cut at Oklahoma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXKX_igN1w

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I remember when Lamar had a football program and played in the Southland conference with Tech. Well, the FIRST time they had a football program.
    And a 300+ member marching band. They had a dude, with a baton and he would throw it up like, 60+ feet...and then catch it too! Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    It was the Billy Tubbs' teams that came into Memorial in the late 70s and 1980 with Mike Oliver. Pat Foster took over for Tubbs in 1981 when Oliver was SLC Player of the Year.

Under both coaches Lamar would come onto the court for pregame warmups making the No. 1 sign. They would circle the court three times basically telling the crowd their team was better than your team. In both Ruston and Lafayette the students would get into Memorial and Blackham, respectively, just to boo and throw stuff at the Lamar players.

Then when Tech and USL would play in the old gym in Beaumont the Lamar students would throw stuff at our players. Tubbs became famous/infamous for walking over to the student section in Beaumont and telling them not to throw "s--t" onto the court. It was a tradition that he continued at Oklahoma when he left Lamar in 1981.

The biggest game for Tech in the history of the series was in 1984 when Tech beat Lamar in the SLC finals. Lamar was in the Top 20 late in the season. And even after the loss was in Sports Illustrated's Top 20. But it was the first year or two of the RPI. And the Committee used the RPI to keep Lamar out of the tournament.

Lamar was salty in baseball too, back then.

I went to a game at Lamar, in 1980 I think it was, Andy Russo's 1st or 2nd year, our 20-win team with Joe Ivory. Their place was packed. We got seats right behind the Tech bench...there were 5 of us, my brother who lived in Houston, and three of my girlfriends who went to spend the weekend down there. After the game was over I had dozens of Lamar fans say to me "you are the best opposing fan we've ever had in here." I was surprised by it, but my brother told me afterwards, "dayum! you really get into it. And, you are loud!" I never realized that.

We beat Lamar by 1 point at the TAC in 1985 in the conference tourney. But earlier that year, in what remains THE BEST BASKETBALL EVER PLAYED IN THE TAC, during the regular season, we beat Lamar and USL...both by double digits, but all three teams played lights out. Lamar was a perfect 30 for 30 from the FT line, for instance. Before the 3-pt shot was restored, USL was bombing from way behind the arc...I mean WAY behind it, and they shot something like 60% from the floor. Unbelievable shooting performance. But neither Lamar or USL had a defensive answer for our efficient half-court offense, and the Dawgs shot something like 70% from the floor.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

This will be my first game to see in person this season. Looking forward to it!
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Lamar was salty in baseball too, back then.

I went to a game at Lamar, in 1980 I think it was, Andy Russo's 1st or 2nd year, our 20-win team with Joe Ivory. Their place was packed. We got seats right behind the Tech bench...there were 5 of us, my brother who lived in Houston, and three of my girlfriends who went to spend the weekend down there. After the game was over I had dozens of Lamar fans say to me "you are the best opposing fan we've ever had in here." I was surprised by it, but my brother told me afterwards, "dayum! you really get into it. And, you are loud!" I never realized that.

We beat Lamar by 1 point at the TAC in 1985 in the conference tourney. But earlier that year, in what remains THE BEST BASKETBALL EVER PLAYED IN THE TAC, during the regular season, we beat Lamar and USL...both by double digits, but all three teams played lights out. Lamar was a perfect 30 for 30 from the FT line, for instance. Before the 3-pt shot was restored, USL was bombing from way behind the arc...I mean WAY behind it, and they shot something like 60% from the floor. Unbelievable shooting performance. But neither Lamar or USL had a defensive answer for our efficient half-court offense, and the Dawgs shot something like 70% from the floor.
    ........Wow, where's that kind of basketball nowadays?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember some big guy named Gulley that Lamar had at one time that was a pretty good player.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Tech rolling up 77 on them when Bradshaw was at Tech. That game was in Ruston.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

........Wow, where's that kind of basketball nowadays?
    I was hoping the polite clapping crowds of the Dallas teams hadn’t infected the “Dallas and Texas wannabe” N.Louisiana crowds but I fear it has happened.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I seem to remember some big guy named Gulley that Lamar had at one time that was a pretty good player.
    Gulley was awesome and he almost signed with TECH. Joe Dumars also decided between Tech and McNeese.

The Sweet 16 team would have both of those guy on it as well. With the coaching staff we had I believe we would have won the 85 National Championship

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

....three of my girlfriends who went to spend the weekend down there.
    You had three girlfriends on a weekend trip and found time to watch a baseball game? I am very impressed!!!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Gulley was awesome and he almost signed with TECH. Joe Dumars also decided between Tech and McNeese.

The Sweet 16 team would have both of those guy on it as well. With the coaching staff we had I believe we would have won the 85 National Championship
    Dumars was given a new expensive car for signing with McNeese. That comes from 2 alumni that were there at the time and knew it as fact.

+ Reply to Thread